14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 12:22:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[65] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[54] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] Cornish delays
[13] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[13] access for all at Devon stations report

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which of the following would you agree with (batch 1)  (Voting closed: July 10, 2023, 13:35:29)
Ticket offices reform IS overdue, but fare systems and alternatives for all should be deal considered first - 22 (20.2%)
Reduction or removal of help, including ticket sales, at a fixed point at a station is a barrier to the timid traveller - 25 (22.9%)
By using ticket machines, customers may end up paying more than they need - 24 (22%)
All staff (not just the former ticket clerks) will need to know all about the fares system - 22 (20.2%)
Although most current users will be able to cope, new users will be put off trying the train - 16 (14.7%)
I agree with none of the above - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 35

Linked Events
  • TWSW online - Ticket Offices: July 11, 2023
  • TWSW online - Ticket Offices: July 12, 2023
  • TWSW online - Ticket Offices: July 14, 2023
  • Consultation EXTENDED: July 26, 2023
  • Ticker Office Consultation end: September 01, 2023
  • Ticket Office outcome: October 31, 2023
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19
  Print  
Author Topic: Ticket Office Closure Consultation  (Read 30298 times)
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2023, 21:23:42 »

My understanding of this is that a statutory notice of possible redundancies has been issued to the unions as required by legislation in cases like this that has wholesale reorganisation. If all staff either accept the voluntary scheme offered or a new post, none are likely. No staff member has had any notice of redundancy at all.

Can anyone confirm that a voluntary redundancy scheme is there for any ticket office staff that want to avail themselves? I've seen indications of it, but no actual confirmation of a scheme existing.

The term used in a reorg is "Displaced" which means the individual gets informed by their line manager they have not been identified in a post and are at risk of redundancy a close listed vacancy list with jobs on it which the individual can apply for.

Being displaced is an uncomfortable position to be in, I've been there in the past, managed to get a job each time one occasion it was a close run think with only days to go before the P45.

I suspect the new contract T&C's will not be as good as the current ones.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2023, 14:42:04 »

Petition signed

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2023, 05:42:33 »

The term used in a reorg is "Displaced" which means the individual gets informed by their line manager they have not been identified in a post and are at risk of redundancy a close listed vacancy list with jobs on it which the individual can apply for.

Being displaced is an uncomfortable position to be in, I've been there in the past, managed to get a job each time one occasion it was a close run think with only days to go before the P45.

I suspect the new contract T&C's will not be as good as the current ones.
That's generally the idea. Reduced terms and conditions, possibly with mark time pay until the new lower wage (if ever) catches up with your existing current pay.
So staff numbers cut, wages cut, and those remaining having to do a lot more work at possibly extended hours.
(Has happened in my previous work).

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2023, 07:39:29 »

35 votes in the poll I added within the thread in just a short time.  On the history of votes here that makes it one of the topics that's of significant relevance to members - a high turnout.   

I set the poll up with 5 statements of concern at what's being suggested and included a "none of the above" option as well.  What is utterly amazing to me is that no-one - not even one member so far - has voted "none of the above".   So that's 35 of you out of 35 share some concern and there I no-one saying (and in private because it's a secret poll) "hey - what a great idea".   

This is a "consultation". I hope that the proposers of the idea take proper account of the inputs they receive and don't turn it just into a box-ticking exercise to say that they consulted.   

Exceptionally, I am about to close the poll early; we may loose a very small number of straggler votes, but having now written a conclusion and expressed some thoughts, those straggler views and any changes might be unduly influenced by what I'm writing (yea, I know, I'm being big-headed). I have a call at 5 p.m. tonight on the subject of ticket office closures, and probably feedback and perhaps announcements including a further poll here, so opportunities still there for member input, not that an individual vote on the Coffee Shop would influence HM Government anyway!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2023, 15:18:05 »

Details of each station.....

https://www.gwr.com/-/media/gwr-sc-website/files/Changes-to-Ticket-Retailing-at-GWR-Stations-v2.pdf

A brief run through does seem to show that ALL Ticket Offices will close by end of 2024

Interesting comment at the bottom of each notice..........
*- Date changes to Advance Purchase tickets will not be possible after windows are closed

I guess that will ultimately mean that NO Advance tickets will be sold 'at the station'

If it’s anything like the London Underground ticket office closures, anything exotic or unusual will be impossible. Staff at a station I use quite a bit said the ticket machines in the offices were physically removed. Thus meaning they can’t help people who need something the machine in the hall can’t sell/refund even if we want to.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2023, 21:20:06 »

TravelWatch SouthWest ... I had a really useful Zoom session with Bryony a couple of hours ago (yes, on a Sunday!).   This post shared here to invite members to sign up via EventBrite to the TravelWatch SouthWest sessions.

Dear Members

Proposal to Close Ticket Offices
On the 5th of July stark headlines stated, “train operators plan to close all ticket offices in England”. Proposals to close ticket offices affect the majority of rail station ticket offices in England and this will alter the existing available ticket purchasing experience in our region.

The Proposals are open to comments for 21 days and these must be made through either Transport Focus or London TravelWatch (Statutory Consultees, as set out under the  Ticketing and Settlement Agreement).  All thirteen operators are running consultations. The responses are being organised by operator and station. Time is already running and the deadline for submissions on 26th July 2023.

Will it affect you or those in your community?

Transport Focus are the consultees relevant to most of our members, exclusively providing feedback for stations outside the London TravelWatch zone.

We want to help members provide useful responses. Many communities are concerned by the proposals and TWSW» (TravelWatch SouthWest - website) are here to assist organisation of thoughts, share questions and intelligence.

At short notice, we have arranged three meetings for discussing and supporting submission of evidence to the Ticket Office Closure Consultation via Transport Focus.

Tuesday            11th July            8pm – 9 pm
Wednesday     12th July            7 pm – 8 pm
Friday                 14th July            1 pm – 2 pm

By offering three online meeting opportunities, we hope everyone will find a suitable time to join us for some or all events. Please register online through Eventbrite. Here is the link to register for all or one of the sessions https://www.eventbrite.com/cc/twsw-ticket-office-closure-consultation-2382509.

Let me know if this poses a problem and I will arrange your ticket from this end.

Best wishes

Bryony

Bryony Chetwode
Company Secretary TravelWatch SouthWest CIC (Community Interest Company )

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2023, 13:22:53 »

Booked for Wednesday evening

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2023, 17:31:40 »

TravelWatch SouthWest ... I had a really useful Zoom session with Bryony a couple of hours ago (yes, on a Sunday!).   This post shared here to invite members to sign up via EventBrite to the TravelWatch SouthWest sessions.

Dear Members

Proposal to Close Ticket Offices
On the 5th of July stark headlines stated, “train operators plan to close all ticket offices in England”. Proposals to close ticket offices affect the majority of rail station ticket offices in England and this will alter the existing available ticket purchasing experience in our region.

The Proposals are open to comments for 21 days and these must be made through either Transport Focus or London TravelWatch (Statutory Consultees, as set out under the  Ticketing and Settlement Agreement).  All thirteen operators are running consultations. The responses are being organised by operator and station. Time is already running and the deadline for submissions on 26th July 2023.

Will it affect you or those in your community?

Transport Focus are the consultees relevant to most of our members, exclusively providing feedback for stations outside the London TravelWatch zone.

We want to help members provide useful responses. Many communities are concerned by the proposals and TWSW» (TravelWatch SouthWest - website) are here to assist organisation of thoughts, share questions and intelligence.

At short notice, we have arranged three meetings for discussing and supporting submission of evidence to the Ticket Office Closure Consultation via Transport Focus.

Tuesday            11th July            8pm – 9 pm
Wednesday     12th July            7 pm – 8 pm
Friday                 14th July            1 pm – 2 pm

By offering three online meeting opportunities, we hope everyone will find a suitable time to join us for some or all events. Please register online through Eventbrite. Here is the link to register for all or one of the sessions https://www.eventbrite.com/cc/twsw-ticket-office-closure-consultation-2382509.

Let me know if this poses a problem and I will arrange your ticket from this end.

Best wishes

Bryony

Bryony Chetwode
Company Secretary TravelWatch SouthWest CIC (Community Interest Company )

Anyone yet had the link for the zoom meeting tonight at 8pm?....coz I've registered & haven't received anything yet. I have had a reminder from Eventbrite but it's not there either....

(EDIT) Found it - log into your Eventbrite account & go to the event page for the session you have registered for. In very small type, it says "Open in Zoom". Click on that 30mins beforehand or less
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 17:46:40 by ChrisB » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2023, 21:37:38 »

Anyone yet had the link for the zoom meeting tonight at 8pm?....coz I've registered & haven't received anything yet. I have had a reminder from Eventbrite but it's not there either....

(EDIT) Found it - log into your Eventbrite account & go to the event page for the session you have registered for. In very small type, it says "Open in Zoom". Click on that 30mins beforehand or less

Meeting links out about an hour before the meeting.

Good meeting tonight ... around 20 people there.  I will try and summarise after the whole series

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2023, 12:50:29 »

There was a figure given either in this or the other thread that only 12% of tickets are now sold from ticket offices. Where did that come from? I can't find it now. And is there a breakdown for the remaining 88% between TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine), online, and on-train?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2023, 13:28:13 »

There was a figure given either in this or the other thread that only 12% of tickets are now sold from ticket offices. Where did that come from? I can't find it now. And is there a breakdown for the remaining 88% between TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine), online, and on-train?

You also need to consider that not all stations have ticket offices, and those that do the office is rarely open all day so quite often it isn't actually possible to buy from a t/o.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2023, 17:46:52 »

It's from the Rail Delivery Group

https://media.raildeliverygroup.com/news/proposals-to-update-the-railway-for-how-passengers-use-it-today
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2023, 18:02:00 »

It's from the Rail Delivery Group

https://media.raildeliverygroup.com/news/proposals-to-update-the-railway-for-how-passengers-use-it-today

And there’s more detailed GWR (Great Western Railway) station by station stats here:

https://www.gwr.com/-/media/gwr-sc-website/files/Changes-to-Ticket-Retailing-at-GWR-Stations-v2.pdf

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2023, 20:30:45 »

Whatever you do, please don't confuse the idea of "consulting" with "asking for your opinion". There may be a couple of token reversals, but the decision has been made and the ticket offices will close.

Now, please!
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2023, 21:40:10 »

This morning, I had a vision of what trying to buy a train ticket will soon be like................

A few months ago Morrisons closed about half of the remaining proper checkouts in my local store and replaced them with an Amazon "office"  - and a couple more self serve checkouts. This morning out of 14 self-serve checkouts in the store only 2 were working. The 3 "colleagues" there were reduced to vainly trying to organise a growing queue of not very happy shoppers. 

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19
  Print  

Jump to: