22:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 22:41:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[109] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[71] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[37] access for all at Devon stations report
[23] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus fare evasion arrest, Croydon  (Read 2034 times)
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2023, 10:12:31 »

(I'm not sure if this is better here, in Fare's Fair, or elsewhere – so mods please move if appropriate)

I'd just like to understand what happened in this case. A woman was arrested on a TfL» (Transport for London - about) bus for alleged fare evasion (which turned out to be an incorrect allegation). What I don't understand is how this would be checked, seeing as those buses do not issue tickets, you just tap to pay (and unlike other places, don't even tap out).

The Met said she was later released when it was confirmed she had paid for her ticket.
I presume "ticket" is just journalese rather than referring to an actual piece of paper or electronic token.

The Met said the woman left the bus after not complying with a revenue inspector's request to check that she had paid her fare.
So how on earth can it be checked? It's unlikely to even show in your bank account till the end of the day, and that doesn't distinguish different journeys.

From https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66290457 but loads of reports all over the various news outlets.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2023, 10:54:09 »

Yes to 'ticket' being journalese.

Your contactless can be checked to see whether they have a record of this in their payment system shortly after being tapped.

The Police Complaints procedure is investigating. I'm unsure that cuffs were necessary with a small child in tow.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2023, 11:58:52 »

But can checking the contactless show what has been paid for? I took two bus journeys yesterday, paying for both by contactless, (neither in London, so possibly they have a different system) and all that's showing is a 10p "holding" charge.

Ralph Ayres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2023, 15:13:31 »

If the passenger has an Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) card the inspector can check on the spot. If contactless they can't do that, but the system feeds back that the card was checked on a bus (so was being used for a journey) and if the end of day processing finds it hadn't been tapped in then a "penalty" is charged.

As I understand it the lady was arrested not for fare evasion but for refusing to allow her card to be checked by a revenue inspector when asked and then trying to leave the scene without giving her details. Revenue staff have remarkably few powers to detain etc (and persistent fare dodgers know this so constantly get away with it) so as in this case they occasionally have police backup. Quite why she chose not to co-operate - and what if anything led to that - isn't clear and perhaps should be getting more attention.

The police may then have taken the view that someone trying to avoid a check may have more to hide than just an unpaid fare. They often discover weapons, drugs or pickpockets in such exercises, and having a child with you doesn't necessarily make you innocent.  The Met police statement I saw online was remarkably poor at explaining their part in the exercise, leaving many people thinking they had been called out specifically to deal with and arrest a single fare dodger.

The important bit which I haven't see clarified anywhere is exactly what happened before all the online videos. I would hope TfL» (Transport for London - about) are also looking at their revenue team's behaviour in case that was a factor.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2023, 16:09:53 »

I'm more interested in what exactly was being checked and how. The circumstances of the arrest are also interesting, but probably in other ways and for other threads. (Yes, I misnamed this one.) Thanks for the information in the posts above.

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2023, 00:46:27 »

I believe on TfL» (Transport for London - about) buses the revenue inspector can download a list of contactless cards that have been touched in, and when he scans a card he will be warned if it is not touched in.  They can only do this on buses, and no other mode, because only the bus carries its touch in data around with it.   

If you are on anything except a bus, then all they can do with contactless is to attempt to touch you in, this will only fail if the card is hotlisted due to previous issues. Otherwise the touch is resolved later as already mentioned.

Paul
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2023, 17:28:39 »

The important bit which I haven't see clarified anywhere is exactly what happened before all the online videos. I would hope TfL» (Transport for London - about) are also looking at their revenue team's behaviour in case that was a factor.

Agree it needs more context. In Croydon, changing from train to tram yesterday at the end of the afternoon the atmosphere for various reasons was quite oppressive and more so for women - though its nature should have meant that they would have welcomed the appearance of anything resembling a revenue team.

Also on the DLR (Docklands Light Railway) to Lewisham on Monday I had my ticket checked - the guy was lovely about it but firmly believed that a national rail ticket with cross-London transfer included wasn't valid on DLR. This is partly down to the Elizabeth line, which has enabled a lot of new interchange options so staff are unfamiliar. We didn't want to start talking knives on the DLR but were able to point out that the ticket had the † that indicated it was valid.

Despite him checking tickets aboard the train, there was on arrival at Lewisham a mahoosively obvious amount of fare evasion from people not touching out and one guy acting edgily and looking for confrontation with all comers, so that would be somewhere for a revenue protection team...

Mark
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2023, 17:44:04 »

Also on the DLR (Docklands Light Railway) to Lewisham on Monday I had my ticket checked - the guy was lovely about it but firmly believed that a national rail ticket with cross-London transfer included wasn't valid on DLR. This is partly down to the Elizabeth line, which has enabled a lot of new interchange options so staff are unfamiliar. We didn't want to start talking knives on the DLR but were able to point out that the ticket had the † that indicated it was valid.

My understanding of that cross was that you could use the London Underground (is the DLR underground?) or London Buses between two national rail stations. Is The Elizabeth Line part of London Underground or has it been added to the allowed routes?
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2023, 17:48:05 »

I think so - the National Rail site will happily recommend routes by both the Elizabeth Line and the DLR (Docklands Light Railway). This morning it was also happy to send me Blackheath to Abbey Wood and then Paddington (I declined that one but when things are running it's quick, especially given the hit from imposed London Bridge shenanigans on South Eastern Trains).

Mark
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2023, 18:00:55 »

I think so - the National Rail site will happily recommend routes by both the Elizabeth Line and the DLR (Docklands Light Railway). This morning it was also happy to send me Blackheath to Abbey Wood and then Paddington (I declined that one but when things are running it's quick, especially given the hit from imposed London Bridge shenanigans on South Eastern Trains).

Mark

National Rail themselves say:
If your journey involves travelling via or across London to connect with another National Rail service, your ticket should include the cost of transfer on London Underground, DLR, Thameslink or Elizabeth line services between the relevant stations.

Your ticket will be marked with a cross ( + ) sign.
So yes to trains, running on tracks, but no to buses.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2023, 18:02:52 »

Also on the DLR (Docklands Light Railway) to Lewisham on Monday I had my ticket checked - the guy was lovely about it but firmly believed that a national rail ticket with cross-London transfer included wasn't valid on DLR. This is partly down to the Elizabeth line, which has enabled a lot of new interchange options so staff are unfamiliar. We didn't want to start talking knives on the DLR but were able to point out that the ticket( had the † that indicated it was valid.

My understanding of that cross was that you could use the London Underground (is the DLR underground?) or London Buses between two national rail stations. Is The Elizabeth Line part of London Underground or has it been added to the allowed routes?
Although Lewisham (DLR) is in the National Rail list of cross London transfer stations, it’s not in the LU version of the list in their ticketing handbook - presumably because the latter is intended for underground staff.  It’s possible that’s confused the revenue inspector, depending who he works for?

On the other hand, the National Rail guidance doesn’t mention buses being generally available, although it does mention the use of night buses when the underground is closed.

Paul
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: