Train RunningShort Run
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 06:23:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[121] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[98] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[25] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[15] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Climate, what climate?  (Read 2451 times)
CyclingSid

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2023, 07:22:09 »

If this thread is more appropriate elsewhere please move.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66351785

I am not sure I have a polite/considered response to this. Presumably have to get rid of all these cycle lanes next; they are always empty (because they move traffic more efficiently?)
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2023, 07:43:50 »

Sorry Sid.
As a bus driver, I'm not on the cyclist side on this debate.
I have expressed my views in previous posts.  Roll Eyes

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2023, 08:04:49 »

Looking after the environment for everyone costs.  Things like the ULEZ  and other clean air zones, low traffic neighbourhoods, (yes) cycle lanes, 20 mph limits, cost the person with private powered transport ("cars") - and those tend to be the supporters of the party in government more that the supporters of the party in opposition.  And with an eye on the next general election, perhaps it's natural for the motorist (and motoring business) interests to be to the fore at present.  Yes, I am aware that the London ULEZ is being brought in by a Labour mayor - and perhaps that's been a warning to the Conservative party as the harm they can do at elections to their vote if they fail to support the motorist.

Compare the authorised cost of the Stonehenge Tunnel (though good for the local MPs (Member of Parliament) and the money spend will come after the next election?) with the penny-pinching actions like canning the through trains across Salisbury from Bristol, Bath, Bradford-on-Avon and Trowbridge to London Waterloo.  Looking back 18 months later, how much has that saved?

As a joined up approach, low traffic neighbourhoods can allow buses through - bus gates - and if done properly make a real positive for public transport.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2023, 08:38:56 »

Looking after the environment for everyone costs.  Things like the ULEZ  and other clean air zones, low traffic neighbourhoods, (yes) cycle lanes, 20 mph limits, cost the person with private powered transport ("cars") - and those tend to be the supporters of the party in government more that the supporters of the party in opposition.  And with an eye on the next general election, perhaps it's natural for the motorist (and motoring business) interests to be to the fore at present.  Yes, I am aware that the London ULEZ is being brought in by a Labour mayor - and perhaps that's been a warning to the Conservative party as the harm they can do at elections to their vote if they fail to support the motorist.

Compare the authorised cost of the Stonehenge Tunnel (though good for the local MPs (Member of Parliament) and the money spend will come after the next election?) with the penny-pinching actions like canning the through trains across Salisbury from Bristol, Bath, Bradford-on-Avon and Trowbridge to London Waterloo.  Looking back 18 months later, how much has that saved?

As a joined up approach, low traffic neighbourhoods can allow buses through - bus gates - and if done properly make a real positive for public transport.

ULEZ is primarily driven by a desire for less pollution and cleaner air rather than climate change - it cost Labour the Uxbridge by election and has given all the major parties pause for thought - it disproportionately affects the lower paid.

I'd be interested in your evidence demonstrating that the cost of ULEZ falls on those who tend to be the supporters of the Government as you suggest.

If it is the case, it's somewhat surprising that Starmer's support for it is at best lukewarm having personally urged Khan to reflect on its impact on those affected.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2023, 09:40:21 »

I'd be interested in your evidence demonstrating that the cost of ULEZ falls on those who tend to be the supporters of the Government as you suggest.

If it is the case, it's somewhat surprising that Starmer's support for it is at best lukewarm having personally urged Khan to reflect on its impact on those affected.

I don't think I quite suggested that - the cost falls on everyone and the party that implements it (and to a lesser degree those that support it) do themselves little good in electoral terms.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2023, 09:45:21 »

I don't think I quite suggested that - the cost falls on everyone and the party that implements it (and to a lesser degree those that support it) do themselves little good in electoral terms.

"Things like the ULEZ  and other clean air zones, low traffic neighbourhoods, (yes) cycle lanes, 20 mph limits, cost the person with private powered transport ("cars") - and those tend to be the supporters of the party in government more that the supporters of the party in opposition".

..........seems quite a clear suggestion to me!  Smiley
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2023, 09:48:57 »

Yes, I am aware that the London ULEZ is being brought in by a Labour mayor - and perhaps that's been a warning to the Conservative party as the harm they can do at elections to their vote if they fail to support the motorist.

The London ULEZ was actually planned by some bloke called Boris; it was only introduced by the present Mayor, in 2019. The current row is over the plan to expand it to cover all of Greater London. To be honest, the whole thing is little more than "Gesture Politics" anyway - the reduction in pollution will be minimal - if any at all. When the high level polluting vehicles have been priced off the roads of London..............where will the "lost" income then come from ? easy ! .....  charge all petrol/diesel vehicles £25 (will be by then !) per day. Then when they have all gone - £50 a day for any vehicle (Except the Mayoral limo of course)

Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2023, 14:09:13 »

The Conservatives coming out against LTNs (Low Traffic Neighbourhood) will do absolute wonders for the chances of the LD/Lab/Green coalition retaining control of Oxfordshire County Council in 2025.

LTNs are broadly popular; all the polling evidence shows that. Those who don't like them are by and large already voting Tory. It's a strategy for retaining Uxbridge, not for reversing the Conservatives' recent losses or their position in the polls. Like the French generals, Sunak is fighting the last war.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2023, 20:17:20 »

Yes, I am aware that the London ULEZ is being brought in by a Labour mayor - and perhaps that's been a warning to the Conservative party as the harm they can do at elections to their vote if they fail to support the motorist.

The London ULEZ was actually planned by some bloke called Boris; it was only introduced by the present Mayor, in 2019. The current row is over the plan to expand it to cover all of Greater London. To be honest, the whole thing is little more than "Gesture Politics" anyway - the reduction in pollution will be minimal - if any at all. When the high level polluting vehicles have been priced off the roads of London..............where will the "lost" income then come from ? easy ! .....  charge all petrol/diesel vehicles £25 (will be by then !) per day. Then when they have all gone - £50 a day for any vehicle (Except the Mayoral limo of course)

I am also told that its extension to the rest of Greater London by 2023 was a condition of the funding deal for TfL» (Transport for London - about) last year.  So all down to the Conservative Government really. 
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2023, 21:16:26 »

I am also told that its extension to the rest of Greater London by 2023 was a condition of the funding deal for TfL» (Transport for London - about) last year.  So all down to the Conservative Government really. 

This will help you understand the full picture

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/tfl-ulez-did-conservative-government-103932039.html
CyclingSid

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2023, 07:36:24 »

Don't expect anything anytime soon
SRN [Strategic Road Network] investment should prioritise maintenance of existing roads over the building of new ones. Transport Focus noted in its written evidence that drivers would prefer to have better maintained and managed roads over new ones, and the AA found that its members were most concerned about potholes. Yet RIS2 allocated £14.1bn for new and enhanced roads – more than it did for operations and maintenance. The committee recommended that if necessary, funding put aside for costly new road projects should be reallocated towards existing road upkeep.
Source: https://www.cyclinguk.org/news/transport-committee-report-amplifies-concerns-about-new-roads-and-traffic-growth
From https://committees.parliament.uk/publications/41071/documents/199999/default/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: