Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningDelayed
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 23:58:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[129] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[111] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[41] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[39] access for all at Devon stations report
[25] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[20] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First Bus android app: room for improvement?  (Read 2885 times)
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2023, 09:05:37 »

From using it, it would benefit everyone if the authors spent a bit of time with the Stagecoach app (or for that matter the Scottish Borders buses app). That would give them leads to improve its appearance and also borrow a couple of really useful bits of functionality, such as Stagecoach's timer till the next 'Live map position and ETA update' and both apps rather more elegant maps.

Also, when it can't reach its server, the app could do without the fact that it reports that there are 'Technical issues' as though the server's down - rather than it just being the creaking mobile phone network - and have a specific set of messages for actual technical issues. It's an app that's quite good at playing dead.

For good measure the current Android version has broken a couple of things including one feature that's central to its function. (I dropped them a line, they know it's broken but haven't fixed it so this is presumably going to be bundled into update schedule, which is inappropriate).

Bus times apps are so positive when they do work, it would be good if this one received some major TLC (three letter code ).

Mark
Ralph Ayres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2023, 10:28:16 »

It works okay for me, though there are some odd quirks where it shows live times half covered by a menu and you have to press an extra button to see it properly; that may just be an incompatibility with my old phone I suppose. I find it rather better than the Arriva equivalent, which has an emphasis on planning journeys assuming you're a novice traveller, rather than just seeing times from a particular stop when you know what you're doing, particularly awkward if you're not in the area of the stop in question (eg on a train 5 miles away but getting there soon).

I mostly use the generic Bus Checker, which does what I need fairly well, and only have the company-specific ones because there's sometimes a disconnect in the live data for non-TfL» (Transport for London - about) routes serving stops inside London and occasionally elsewhere.  I don't tend to load tickets, particularly with the current £2 cap, so can't comment on that side of things.
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2023, 11:47:38 »

Thanks for this and for flagging Bus Checker. Liking its instant disclosure of where buses might be.

Mark
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2023, 10:28:55 »

Fast forward two months and bus checker app's now overdoing the advertising and has earned itself an uninstall.

The First Bus app is either unchanged or has got worse and has now earned itself a demotion.

The bustimes.org web site's map is currently number one. For good measure, their map works well on mobile. I've reminded myself that it's simple to create a home screen web site icon so no need to pffaff with the browser. Currently, Bustimes slings ads from the Google platform, they're integrated with the content, and no interstitials, (which may change of course).

Stagecoach app is holding up well, as is Borders buses.

Looked at the likes of Moovit too: it's a war out there, so perhaps this is as good as it's going to get.

Mark
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2023, 11:24:26 »

I noticed that the live map and map for a number of services stopping at WSM Hospital the route maps show the names of stops in the wrong order
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2023, 12:36:20 »

I noticed that the live map and map for a number of services stopping at WSM Hospital the route maps show the names of stops in the wrong order

Grin ... Should stops on public transport be listed in order of importance (number of passengers going to that place?) - after all printed and broadcast media starts with the most important material "above the fold" and then you scroll down if interested.

"The train at Platform 15 is for Bath Spa, London Paddington, Reading, Swindon, Chippenham and Didcot Parkway"

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2023, 13:38:21 »

Probably not, but made me wonder how passengers were directed to slip portions of trains.

Mark
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2023, 14:15:32 »

Signpost fingers inserted into slots bolted to upright pillars, station names printed/painted thereon. Certainly remdmber these in my lifetime pre digital boards
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2023, 14:37:18 »

Probably not, but made me wonder how passengers were directed to slip portions of trains.

Mark

Ah - memories of Weymouth on a Saturday afternoon

"Front carriage for Chetnote, Yetminster, Thornford and Avoncliff. Front 3 carriages for Bradford-on-Avon, Freshford, Bath Spa, Oldfield Park, Keynsham, and Bristol Temple Meads, 4th carriage for Melksham, rear two carriages for Chippenham and Swindon, any carriage for Dorchester West, Maiden Newton, Yeovil Pen Mill, Castle Cary, Bruton, Frome, Westbury and Trowbridge"

Actually, we didn't - we asked people where they were headed and told them which carriage, noting that saying "4th carriage" was no good as we had to count from the rear.  To my knowledge, we got everyone right!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2023, 16:08:35 »

Signpost fingers inserted into slots bolted to upright pillars, station names printed/painted thereon. Certainly remdmber these in my lifetime pre digital boards

eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2023, 20:16:49 »

as well as the signage mentioned above, I guess there were also rather more "real" people around (rail platform staff, either appropriately trained or having acquired the knowledge on the job) who could be asked.

There were also those wonderful long station announcements, telling you each stop (in order, of course) and where you had to change to get to other destinations.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: