Delayed
03:56 Swansea to London Paddington
05:15 Plymouth to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 06:26:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[141] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] access for all at Devon stations report
[47] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[17] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[3] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[2] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which of these is THE most important thing for the rail industry to resolve?  (Voting closed: August 18, 2023, 09:12:49)
Ticket Office Closure Plans / future ticket and fares systems - 1 (3.7%)
Reliability of Services / train capacity - 10 (37%)
Abstaining because both are vital - 11 (40.7%)
Abstaining because neither is important - 0 (0%)
Abstaining because something else is more important - 5 (18.5%)
Total Voters: 27

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll - what do you think is the most important thing for the future of rail?  (Read 2623 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 13, 2023, 09:12:49 »

In travelling around recently, I have not seen the railway covering itself in glory - rather it comes across to me as system that fails to be managed / resourced to provide a service that encourages passengers, whilst at the same time I must give 110% credit to passenger facing staff I come across who with a few sad exceptions do their best to help.

2. We have had rail strikes and actions short of strikes ongoing for a very long time now and that's at least part of the cause of service unreliability. But even when there's no industrial action, we seen to be sort of train crews, short of carriages on trains, and have emergency line closures because track problems and hosts of other problems.  Carriages stewing passengers with staff coming through to open windows because the AC is not working, and multiple failed loos on trains. 

1. Ticket purchase is an issue. Frightening (to many) signs at stations warn of penalty fares, but ticket offices are closed - not only because its out of their normal hours, but because of staff shortages.  Ticket machines, where they're available, are often out of service or if they're working offering a limited product range, with some of the products that ARE there well hidden and incompletely described when you find them.

Which of these is it most vital for the rai industry to sort out if it wants a bright future?  Or are we too late and in no longer matters - rail going the way of the coal industry?  Am I just inflating problems and the system (overall) is working well and can carry on as it is? Is there an elephant in the room that I haven't offered you in this poll?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2023, 09:45:49 »

P.S. - If you vote "Abstaining because something else is more important" please tell us what it is  Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2023, 13:15:26 »

I've chosen "Abstaining because something else is more important"

While the industry remains rudderless and battered between the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) and the Treasury, it will stagger from crisis to crisis getting weaker and weaker. We need to get the structure sorted out.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2023, 20:36:47 »

I spent some time umming and ahhing about this, changing my mind repeatedly so voting both as being equally important is, I admit, a bit of a cop out on my behalf.  RS has a good point mind.....the more that I tend to look at the industry's organisation, the less I feel that I understand it.
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2023, 03:51:56 »

Step free access for Parson Street train station would be nice.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2023, 07:05:26 »

multiple failed loos on trains
Sounds like you have been travelling on South Western trains. Look at Journeycheck on a Saturday morning and it can list more than 100 trains in service with defective loos. Wholesome on Saturday going towards Bournemouth with a couple of cruise liners due out and a football match (or two?). Absloutely rammed and I believe one manual loo working.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: