14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 13:32:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[154] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[57] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[47] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[44] Cornish delays
[12] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Should Rail Replacement Buses be accessible to all those with a rail ticket?  (Read 1688 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2023, 16:16:19 »

The ticket for my journey home today, 1st October 2023, was routed 'via Salisbury'.

There were RRBs (Rail Replacement Bus) operating between Warminster and Salisbury, and also between Salisbury and Gillingham (Dorset).

Having Finn with me means it's a lottery as to whether coach drivers will allow him to travel. RRBs also will not convey bicycles and may refuse prams or pushchairs that aren't foldable.

Previous experience has taught me that I can't guarantee I'll be conveyed with Finn. TOC (Train Operating Company) customer services are usually non-committal, defaulting to 'driver descretion'. I've had instances where rail staff have contacted their control and/or station staff and been told that yes, dogs will be conveyed, only to arrive at the station and have drivers say no.

So I try wherever possible to route around RRBs to stay on trains. Today had an additional challenge. That 'via Salisbury' fare was the only route option - no 'Any Permitted', despite it being possible (and quicker)  for me to go home via Exeter. I tried getting the ticket endorsed at my starting GWR (Great Western Railway) station, but the clerk refused. Telling me the only option was to seek permission of the guard. Said guard wasn't fussed. Neither were barrier staff at both Exeter stations. Only my final SWR» (South Western Railway - about) train to negotiate.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 14:08:21 by JayMac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2023, 16:35:07 »

If necessary, just say that you got refused by bus driver with Finn - and ask them how else you might get home.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2023, 19:45:33 »

Should Rail Replacement Buses be accessible to all those with a rail ticket?

In an ideal world, yes, they should.  We have come a very long way in wheelchair access to buses and I think that one is more or less sorted but (practically) if Lisa and I were to turn up with bicycles at Melksham Station for an RRB (Rail Replacement Bus) it would be pretty difficult - buses just aren't as spacious and properly equipped.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2023, 21:07:39 »

Non-folding bikes aren't permitted on RRB (Rail Replacement Bus).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2023, 21:14:07 »

Non-folding bikes aren't permitted on RRB (Rail Replacement Bus).

Exactly - so they're not RRBs but PRRBs (partial rail replacement buses)!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2023, 12:33:19 »

Just to say that if an RRB (Rail Replacement Bus) turns up and doesn't have wheelchair access, a taxi or other accessible transport will be arranged via the Help Point/Bus Co-ordinator/TOC (Train Operating Company) for the customer requiring it, but we weren't talking about that scenario...

I fully understand why JayMac wants to avoid RRBs with Finn for the reasons given. I've witnessed pretty much every possible outcome from outright refusal, OK but not on the seats and even GWR (Great Western Railway) arranging a taxi for the customer with a canine friend.

I've seen coach drivers refuse full sized cycles to assisting the customer slinging it underneath (not impossible).

I've refused full sized cycles on a regular service bus when I was a driver, which was company policy (I'd do it anyway unless it could be secured/strapped).
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2023, 13:42:25 »

I've seen RRB (Rail Replacement Bus) drivers be very reluctant to carry even folding bikes. (Fortunately not the one from Manningtree to Harwich International last Sunday otherwise I'd have been riding to the ferry in the dark!)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2023, 14:14:46 »

As a postscript.

I spent a few hours in Exeter enjoying the nice weather on Sunday. Lovely roast dinner in The Fat Pig.

I took the 1630 from Exeter Central home to Templecombe. I decided to go for a Weekend 1st upgrade. After explaining to the SWR» (South Western Railway - about) guard why I was travelling off route with the 'via Salisbury' ticket because of my aversion to RRBs (Rail Replacement Bus) (or rather, their aversion to Finn!), he kindly waived the £10 upgrade.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: