Train RunningShort Run
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 06:34:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[121] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[98] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[25] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[15] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Plessey Viaduct parapet collapse 8/10/2023  (Read 2457 times)
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2023, 11:24:28 »

Plessey viaduct being a 5 arch masonry structure across a gorge north of Cramlington, Northumberland. It carries the East Coast Main Line. On Sunday, with track in the process of being relaid across the structure, a substantial length of the parapet fell into the gorge below. The structure had previously caused concern in 2019.

Two photos from Twitter show the parapet shortly before it fell.

Mark

https://twitter.com/Daves1412/status/1711302725764325543
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2023, 11:52:58 »

Thread now from Network Rail.

Mark

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1711330607106531536.html
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2023, 15:11:19 »

... and now a press release with an aerial photo of the damage to the viaduct.

https://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/disruption-around-morpeth-as-network-rail-undertakes-urgent-repair-work-to-plessey-viaduct

Mark
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2023, 17:47:31 »

I wonder if they can divert northbound services on the freight line network via Bedlington or it is more convenient to install a pair of points and implement single line working while effecting the needed repair.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2023, 18:01:22 »

I wonder if they can divert northbound services on the freight line network via Bedlington or it is more convenient to install a pair of points and implement single line working while effecting the needed repair.
The failure is on the up line, it would be better to divert southbound trains via Bedlington, but they’d then still have to skip Morpeth.  Posts elsewhere suggest route knowledge has not been maintained, and IETs (Intercity Express Train) are not yet cleared.

There is simplified bidirectional signalling though, the problem is the southbound facing crossover is between the platforms at Morpeth, and trains using it cannot then stop at Morpeth, except the local DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) - and they’ve mostly been binned.  I think the next crossover to the north (former Butterwell opencast mine), would make the single line working section significantly longer, increasing the time taken.

Paul
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 18:10:14 by paul7575 » Logged
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2023, 22:03:37 »

The failure is on the up line
My Google look would appear to be back to front, sorry. In days gone temporary single line working, sometimes with a temporary signalbox, was used to cover this problem.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2023, 06:52:52 »

Isn’t that route mostly shut/unavailable due to the upgrades to bring it back into passenger service?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2023, 09:23:26 »

Isn’t that route mostly shut/unavailable due to the upgrades to bring it back into passenger service?

There have been some relatively short closures for track relaying and doubling, but it’s not been under a full block, a coal train to/from Lynemouth runs now and again, eg yesterday, and the Alcan aluminium uses the route from Blyth to Morpeth North reversing at Newsham. Can’t find the last time that ran.

Paul
« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 09:32:39 by paul7575 » Logged
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2023, 17:56:00 »

Intrigued by why I couldn’t find the Alcan freight services on realtime trains, so I had another look.

I discovered the alumina trains are not timed at Bedlington, but at Bedlington North LC (Level Crossing) (level crossing).  So they don’t appear if, (like I did first time round), you just look for passing traffic at Bedlington.  At the same time a Lynemouth power station train passing through the same location doesn’t get timed at the level crossing, but at the currently closed station.  The timing points are a few yards apart.

I’m sure there must be a reason for this, but I can’t think what it might be…   Huh

Paul
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2023, 23:38:25 »

I’m sure there must be a reason for this, but I can’t think what it might be…   Huh

The current TPR (The Pensions Regulator) lists the mandatory timing points for LN694 BENTON NORTH JUNCTION TO MORPETH NORTH JUNCTION VIA BEDLINGTON as Newsham LC (Level Crossing), Bedlington North LC, and Hepscott Junction - as for several years. But it adds the note: "Until Northumberland line Infrastructure improvements go live". So have the improvements "gone live", in some sense?

Otherwise, what's hard to explain is the use of the station codes NWH and BEJ, which looks premature, and dropping the existing mandatory points. I guess there could have been a change - there may be a newer TPR somewhere.

Of course even if the timing point at Newsham LC is no longer mandatory, it would be called for as the Alcan trains reverse there. But it's all rather confusing - so much so that Charlwood House (LiveRail) think BEJ at this point is Bristol East Junction! And perhaps confusing enough that train planners are getting mixed up.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2023, 14:20:38 »

The current TPR (The Pensions Regulator) lists the mandatory timing points for LN694 BENTON NORTH JUNCTION TO MORPETH NORTH JUNCTION VIA BEDLINGTON as Newsham LC (Level Crossing), Bedlington North LC, and Hepscott Junction - as for several years. But it adds the note: "Until Northumberland line Infrastructure improvements go live". So have the improvements "gone live", in some sense?

Otherwise, what's hard to explain is the use of the station codes NWH and BEJ, which looks premature, and dropping the existing mandatory points. I guess there could have been a change - there may be a newer TPR somewhere.

Of course even if the timing point at Newsham LC is no longer mandatory, it would be called for as the Alcan trains reverse there. But it's all rather confusing - so much so that Charlwood House (LiveRail) think BEJ at this point is Bristol East Junction! And perhaps confusing enough that train planners are getting mixed up.
Good point that it might be a transitional thing.  A freight service doing the through route as reported by RTT» (Real Time Trains - website), (ie Benton North to Lynemouth), appears to pass through 3 newly named junctions that are not yet operational, according to the most recent sectional appendix amendment.  The names being Holywell Junction, Seghill Junction and Redhouse Farm Junction.  The first two are the ends of the new passing loop, the latter is the southward extension of the existing double track at Newsham.

I believe when the whole thing is finished the Alcan trains will be running round in the sidings at Bedlington, which are being reactivated for the purpose.

Paul

« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 15:08:39 by paul7575 » Logged
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2023, 11:33:49 »

Plessey Viaduct, now a bridge of the month article from Bill Harvey Associates.

Mark

Edit: a very thought-provoking article...

https://www.billharveyassociates.com/bom/153-plessey-viaduct
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2023, 12:31:25 »

Finished! Well, enough to run trains on both lines, anyway. From RailUK:
Trains services between Newcastle and Scotland have returned to normal after Network Rail completed its repair work to Plessey Viaduct near Morpeth.

For the last month, engineers have been working to repair damage to the parapet wall on the viaduct which was discovered during planned engineering work to renew the track in October.

Network Rail teams have installed pre-cast concrete units to the structure and have carried out steel underpinning which has strengthened the parapet on the more than 170-year-old structure.

Engineers have also installed 200 metres of new track across the viaduct, as well as ballast, the stones which support the rails.

The work has been completed on time despite teams on site having to battle the elements and adverse conditions brought by Storm Babet. New ways of working were found to make sure the work was delivered safely.

And Network Rail have made a little video (via Wistia - which does not appear to embed itself as promised).
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 12:47:56 by stuving » Logged
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2023, 12:45:24 »

Thanks for the link. That was a quick job. NR» (Network Rail - home page) must have been pleased that the OHLE wasn't involved too.

Mark
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2023, 14:55:30 »

Thanks for the link. That was a quick job. NR» (Network Rail - home page) must have been pleased that the OHLE wasn't involved too.

And they must have been very relieved that bi-directional signalling was installed.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: