Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
20:00 Cardiff Central to Taunton
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
28/04/24 09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
13:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
13:49 Penzance to Cardiff Central
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
07:48 Reading to Redhill
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 08:16:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[128] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[49] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[44] Cornish delays
[25] access for all at Devon stations report
[16] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[5] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: 11/11/23 Bus from Cornwall misses last train Plymouth - Paddington  (Read 2429 times)
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2023, 11:30:20 »

Had it been a late running train from Penzance (as opposed to a bus) which meant that the connection to the last London train was going to be missed by those on board, what would have been the routine in that scenario?

Interesting question.

The TM(resolve) on the Penzance train would have been able to do an accurate headcount, and the precise location of the train and therefore an accurate ETA would be much easier to determine.  All of which might sway the decision in the favour of a train hold.  Though a hold of over 20 minutes for a mainline train is quite rare IME (in my experience), especially when an alternative route by train can be provided as it was in this case.

What I don't understand in these situations, whether the delay is by bus or train, is:

a) Why clear reasons for delaying the onward train aren't made known to the passengers sitting on it, who are wondering why it hasn't set off. I've been in that situation a few times, and often there have been no announcements at all (or any staff in sight).

b) Why the TM doesn't then go down the train straight away and ask passengers if they are dependent on connections being made.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2023, 17:16:49 »

What I don't understand in these situations, whether the delay is by bus or train, is:

a) Why clear reasons for delaying the onward train aren't made known to the passengers sitting on it, who are wondering why it hasn't set off. I've been in that situation a few times, and often there have been no announcements at all (or any staff in sight).

b) Why the TM(resolve) doesn't then go down the train straight away and ask passengers if they are dependent on connections being made.

I am sure Froome and I are not the only ones to wonder. Over many years commuting and casual rail travel, it is striking how variable the practice is. Surely it should be a matter of staff training to ensure that it is invariable practice? I am aware that sometimes there was a "we can't get hold of Control" problem, but those who work there should likewise be so trained.
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2023, 18:23:47 »

I should add that the last time I was in a similar situation to this was about 2 months ago, when I caught a train at Bristol Temple Meads, which was due to go to Bath Spa (where I was headed) and then all stations down to Portsmouth. At the time of departure its doors closed, and then nothing. No movement, no announcements, no sign of any staff on the train. After a while I got up and walked down the train to find someone to ask, and found no staff anywhere. I went back to my seat, and a few minutes later (about 15 minutes after it should have departed) I realised that there was another train due to leave in a few minutes which would have taken me to my local station (Oldfield Park), so better for me. I tried to open the doors but they wouldn't open. Other passengers did the same, and several of us knocked on the windows to try to alert the platform staff, but they just looked at us as if we were in a zoo, and did nothing. Just as the train to Oldfield Park was about to go, the doors opened (again no announcement) and a few people got out, but by that time it was too late to catch the Oldfield Park train, so I got back in, and a few minutes later (about 25 minutes all told) the train left. I don't think any announcement made in the whole journey, and no staff appeared by the time I got off in Bath.

It was frankly appalling, and I still have no idea why the train was delayed.
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2023, 20:20:39 »

Had it been a late running train from Penzance (as opposed to a bus) which meant that the connection to the last London train was going to be missed by those on board, what would have been the routine in that scenario?

Interesting question.

The TM(resolve) on the Penzance train would have been able to do an accurate headcount, and the precise location of the train and therefore an accurate ETA would be much easier to determine.  All of which might sway the decision in the favour of a train hold.  Though a hold of over 20 minutes for a mainline train is quite rare IME (in my experience), especially when an alternative route by train can be provided as it was in this case.

b) Why the TM doesn't then go down the train straight away and ask passengers if they are dependent on connections being made.
The first time I had an issue even remotely similar to this was towards the last of the BR (British Rail(ways)) days. I was in Manchester and arrived at Piccadilly to board a train to Euston at around 17:30. Then there was an issue with that train showing on the display board as cancelled. Then they made a tannoy announcement that there was a problem with the Overhead lines just past Rugby. if you were travelling to London and already in the station then you would be taken to London. If you weren’t already in the station then they weren’t letting you in if you were going to London or places towards there on the WCML (West Coast Main Line). In the first instance we were told to run to platform 13 or 14 where a train to Cardiff was waiting. That train was so full it made the London Underground in Rush hour look empty. Someone squeezed on but the rest of us walked back towards the main concourse.

Then we were told to wait for instructions and at about 7pm we boarded a train to Crewe. The idea was another train would meet us at Crewe. We waited at Crewe and eventually, it was a long wait, an HST (High Speed Train) appeared with a which was a very welcome sight. We boarded that, got to Rugby and had about half an hour to forty five minutes waiting at the platform there. We were not allowed off because the train could leave at any minute once it got clearance. The bloke at the buffet made announcements about his remaining stock twice, once to say he was out of food, and the second to say all the alcohol had now been sold. The guard came round and asked for people’s tickets and any onward destinations from their ticket station and said onward transportation would be provided especially at Euston. He said to me that some people were going a hell of a long way after Euston and I was a short hop. When we eventually arrived in London which was just after 1am from memory the next day, we were told to head to the taxi rank. A staff member walked the length of the line checking where you were going and then grouped people together. I was heading to West London and was put with four others in a Black Cab which duly left.

I asked the others where they were going and they said the South West. They were heading to Penzance supposedly on the sleeper but that train had left ages ago. The cabbie was taking them all the way there and he told me getting a good deal out of this. He said that he had family in the West Country and had called them when BR had put a call out for Taxis. He said he’d drive down there, drop the others off, go to the wife’s sister’s house and get a good sleep there before driving back.

BR were very good for those of us already in the station but if you weren’t already in there I suspect you were left to fend for yourself.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2023, 07:16:37 »

I don’t think he got lost as such.
A38 was shut due to truck hitting trerulefoot bridge, I was stuck on my way home from work, even on a Saturday night it managed it gridlock the diversion route- narrow lane only normally used by high sided vehicles to avoid the low bridge

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: