Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 01:09:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Paddington closed: December 24, 2023
  • No GWR trains: December 25, 2023
  • No GWR trains (why not?): December 26, 2023
  • Paddington closed: December 27, 2023
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Christmas 2023 at Paddington - no trains on 24, 25, 26, 27 December  (Read 1790 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 20, 2023, 12:42:08 »

From GWR (Great Western Railway) ...

We’re getting in touch to remind you of upcoming closures of the railway to London Paddington, as part of HS2 (The next High Speed line(s))’s ongoing construction of new station at Old Oak Common, just to the west of London Paddington.

As a result there will be no train services into or out of London Paddington this Sunday (26 November), or on Sunday 24 and Wednesday 27 December.

On these days, long-distance and most local GWR services will start/terminate at Reading instead of London Paddington. Limited GWR services and Elizabeth line services will run between Reading and Ealing Broadway. Customers can transfer at Ealing Broadway between national rail and London Underground services (Central and District lines) to/from central London.

On Sunday 26 November only, engineering work will also close the lines between Ealing Broadway and Slough until 1240. A limited replacement bus service will be in operation between these stations during this time.

Also, as usual, there will be no services across the GWR network on Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

Our advice to customers is to travel on alternative days to ensure a smoother journey. For those that need to travel, we recommend allowing plenty of time to reach their destination, especially if they’re making onward connections.

Journey planners have been updated with details on all closures. We will be making customers aware through traditional and social media, on board and station announcements, as well as station posters.

More information is available at www.GWR.com/HS2 and www.HS2.org.uk. Any help you can give in sharing this with your networks will be very helpful.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2023, 17:38:55 »

......picturing Reading Station on Christmas Eve, a Sunday too!.....that won't be fun......although I guess people travelling on Saturday may ease it a bit.
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2023, 18:43:28 »

IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) they are doing the first lot of track slewing - if you're interested in the nitty gritty there's a great lecture at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozQFOU3p9R0
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2023, 06:10:14 »

......picturing Reading Station on Christmas Eve, a Sunday too!.....that won't be fun......although I guess people travelling on Saturday may ease it a bit.
I suspect Friday and Saturday will be the peak travel days pre Christmas, though you still can’t rule out Sunday being another busy travel day for many.
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2023, 09:14:11 »

Looking at the works at Old Oak Common over the next several years, it's difficult to avoid the conclusion that the 2018 SWR» (South Western Railway - about) arc for the Bristol to Waterloo services - developing them and ramping up to 5 a day - that would have been a good fit with passengers travel needs, at all times adding resilience as well as maintaining travel opportunities - but particularly valuable in countering the negative effect of disruption from these major works.

Mark
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2023, 13:31:28 »

Genuine question with no agenda to be inferred…  why does GWR (Great Western Railway) shut completely over Christmas whereas Chiltern Railways maintain a half-hourly service to Marylebone on Boxing Day?

Is there a reason for one operator deciding ‘none shall travel’ whereas another acknowledges that Boxing Day is quite a busy day for visiting relative, shopping, football etc?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2023, 13:38:52 »

Chiltern’s service was paid for (in whole or in part) by Bicester Village outlet centre IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly).  No reason in theory why Boxing Day trains can’t run on GWR (Great Western Railway), as long as the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) are prepared to pay for it. 

Elizabeth Line drivers have Boxing Day as part of their working contract - though the Old Oak Common closures might make anything west of Paddington awkward over the next few years.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2023, 23:18:43 »

I suspect Friday and Saturday will be the peak travel days pre Christmas, though you still can’t rule out Sunday being another busy travel day for many.
Those of us who work weekends and are travelling to see family for Christmas will likely be travelling on Sunday 24th and the 26th. Although in my case it will be via Chiltern on the 24th and car then Oxford Tube on the 26th.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2023, 07:11:09 »

Chiltern’s service was paid for (in whole or in part) by Bicester Village outlet centre IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly).  No reason in theory why Boxing Day trains can’t run on GWR (Great Western Railway), as long as the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) are prepared to pay for it. 

Based on the annual discussion/debate around this subject I thought the reasoning for not having Boxing day services was generally because;

1) Staff don't want to work at Christmas
2) The small number that would work would mean that the few services that could run would be overwhelmed.
3) The two day closedown is a good opportunity to undertake large scale engineering work?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 07:47:43 by TaplowGreen » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2023, 09:01:30 »

Yes, you would have to address all of those issues, but Chiltern (and others) do manage to address them.  I think an Elizabeth Line service would be the easiest way to start things off as it only has one of those three issues outstanding.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: