19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
Delayed
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 17:24:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[100] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[82] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[61] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[31] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Estimates of station usage: Ap: December 14, 2023
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Estimates of station usage: April 2022 to March 2023  (Read 8246 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2023, 18:08:55 »

You missed Okehampton I think. Comes under Dartmoor Railway in the tables.

Hear are a load of the missing ones that GWR (Great Western Railway) serve:

11693876 WIM Wimbledon
10185022 CDF» (Cardiff - next trains) Cardiff Central
5495672 SOU Southampton Central
5118228 PUT Putney
4004066 BSK (Brake Standard Corridor (carriage)) Basingstoke
2339566 NWP Newport (South Wales)
1883574 SWA» (Swansea - next trains) Swansea
1775756 FTN Fratton
1746574 PMH Portsmouth Harbour
1707210 PMS Portsmouth and Southsea
1621562 SAL Salisbury
1560326 WKM Wokingham
1415156 FRM Fareham
1133284 BGN Bridgend
1089664 ESL Eastleigh
1079070 SOA Southampton Airport Parkway
765158 CSA Cosham
666058 NTH Neath
641612 WEY Weymouth
471848 PTA (Passenger Transport Authority) Port Talbot Parkway
384366 ROM Romsey
366450 AXM Axminster
339596 HDE Hedge End
310290 WNS Winnersh
298074 HLS Hilsea
292606 CMN Carmarthen
288228 HON Honiton
277934 GIL Gillingham (Dorset)
273736 LLE Llanelli
228272 OKE Okehampton
179318 WCH Whitchurch (Hampshire)
179132 WTI Winnersh Triangle
170474 YVJ Yeovil Junction
166352 PIN Pinhoe
157562 CKN Crewkerne
151630 TIS(resolve) Tisbury
128806 CFR Chandlers Ford
103238 CBK Cranbrook (Devon)
83500 SAN Sandown
68276 TMC Templecombe
52048 FNT Feniton
43128 UPW Upwey
39808 WHM (Well House Manor (where I worked - please excuse advert)) Whimple
28894 RDB Redbridge
28230 DEN Dean (Wilts)
25426 MBK Millbrook (Hants)
24412 DBG Mottisfont and Dunbridge

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
lympstone_commuter
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2023, 22:12:41 »

I've updated my clickable map to include the 2023 figures:

https://empslocal.ex.ac.uk/people/staff/tej202/stations.htm (Follow the link to the map and then click on a station to see the time-series)

The time-series show that the post-COVID bounceback is pretty much complete in Devon and Cornwall.

Also (as noted elsewhere) the Elizabeth Line effect is very clear at Paddington and Liverpool Street!
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2023, 22:17:01 »

11693876 WIM Wimbledon

I've never seen a GWR train at Wimbledon. Surely you mean SWR» (South Western Railway - about)Grin
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2023, 23:02:19 »

11693876 WIM Wimbledon

I've never seen a GWR train at Wimbledon. Surely you mean SWR» (South Western Railway - about)Grin

Looking at the 2021 GWR network map, some other places are not served - Chandler's Ford, Templecombe, Honiton, Whitchurch ... I can see why some those might be on a diversionary route, but Wimbledon is a bit of a stretch for that. And as for Putney ??
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2023, 23:07:17 »

https://empslocal.ex.ac.uk/people/staff/tej202/stations.htm (Follow the link to the map and then click on a station to see the time-series)

The time-series show that the post-COVID bounceback is pretty much complete in Devon and Cornwall.

Also (as noted elsewhere) the Elizabeth Line effect is very clear at Paddington and Liverpool Street!

Thanks, really useful!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2023, 23:30:46 »

You missed Okehampton I think. Comes under Dartmoor Railway in the tables.

277934 GIL Gillingham (Dorset)
170474 YVJ Yeovil Junction
157562 CKN Crewkerne
151630 TIS(resolve) Tisbury
68276 TMC Templecombe

Since when has GWR served the above stations ?  I'd even debate stations between Pinhoe and Axminster, given the one train a weekday is cancelled more often than not.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2023, 07:01:26 »

11693876 WIM Wimbledon

Looking at the 2021 GWR network map, some other places are not served - Chandler's Ford, Templecombe, Honiton, Whitchurch ... I can see why some those might be on a diversionary route, but Wimbledon is a bit of a stretch for that. And as for Putney ??

Very quick and dirty manual operation.  I may have a look back when I get a chance or invite others to fill in gaps to Hereford and Pembroke Dock, and check intermediate stations between Paddington and Reading.  And did I miss Botley?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 07:20:04 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
lympstone_commuter
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2023, 11:10:56 »

I've now added a second map which shows the year of peak usage (within the window 1998 - 2023). Some interesting patterns (with my speculations in brackets):

Stations with peak usage in 2023 (black in Map 2):
   Lots in Devon and Cornwall   (traffic not commuter heavy?)
   Elizabeth Line Stations          (no surprise)
   Cambridge - Ipswich             (new trains?)
   Norwich - Sheringham          (new trains?)
   Oban line                             (think I read about new school travel?)

Stations with peak usage immediately prior to the pandemic (purple in Map 2)
   Most of the country               (general pattern of growth halted by COVID?)
   Birmingham and Manchester commuter belts

Stations with peak usage a couple of years prior to the pandemic (blue in Map 2)
   London commuter belt (shift to home working predated pandemic?)

Stations with peak usage over 20 years ago (red in Map 2)
   A few stations where one really has to worry!

Does anyone else have thoughts about the usage patterns?

Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2023, 12:13:59 »

Those are a delight to use and very informative, thanks for putting them together.

Mark
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2023, 12:16:24 »

Here in Bristol, a quick scan shows an interesting shift:

MTP has 169,000 pax, RDA (Regional Development Agency) 76,000 and SRD at 212,000. These are the highest ever recorded figures; MTP for example is 30% higher than its previous peak in 2014/5.

There may be a clue in the fact that CFN (Clifton Down station), at 608,000, is 25% down on its peak (764,000 in 2016/7). I always suspected that the way fares were collected skewed things towards CFN; on trains heading towards BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains), guards almost always sold tickets 'from CFN' for all stations between CFN and BRI.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2023, 15:27:43 »

Thanks for providing a very useful resource :-)

It does appear that patronage held up for longer around the major regional cities than it did in London or in smaller towns more isolated from the big hubs.

Looking in more detail at the graphs, there seem to be many in a form /--- , where rapid growth in the first decade of the century plateaued in the second. Where the growth slowed or ended seems to vary; in Wiltshire it's 2015-2017 while in Cornwall it tends to be somewhat earlier. A similar demand curve is seen on the Welsh Marches Line and in many other places.

Some places like Gt Yarmouth have a radically different trendline - were there service reductions or problems over several years?

For the mainstream, there could be a number of reasons why growth slowed. In no particular order, I'd suggest:
  • Changes to business and commuting due to technology
  • Patronage reaching capacity, leading to a decline in quality
  • Cumulative effect of austerity vs. RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context))+ fare increases
  • The delayed effect of a reduction in the number of improvements being implemented
  • Entering a period where "improvements" caused disruption during construction or where commissioning went awry.

PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2023, 18:00:24 »

This is excellent, thank you.  Purely as a matter of interest, are you able to rank stations by their year-on-year growth?
Hafren

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2023, 18:52:42 »

Stations with peak usage over 20 years ago (red in Map 2)
   A few stations where one really has to worry!

A few patterns that might be relevant:

• A number of rural stations or obvious tourist destinations. Perhaps this is related to changing tourism travel patterns (e.g. declining holiday park traffic at Penychain).
• Stations that have very limited service - e.g. east of Ellesmere Port - not sure when it was reduced from a 'proper' service but perhaps there's a link.
• Closely-spaced stations e.g. a lot of smaller stations on the Valley Lines network. Something to do with the ways tickets are issued perhaps - are the peak dates related to booking office closures? In some areas, zonal ticketing being introduced? Similar to the zonal point, but where not officially zonal ticketing, tickets being sold on-train being issued from first station in same fare band to avoid changing origin station with each transaction? Local buses improving providing better 'metro' links than the trains?
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2023, 19:38:36 »

Although the growth from 1998 is important, the return or not) to immediate prepandemic levels is also of interest for those campaigning for return of lost services.
lympstone_commuter
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2023, 20:01:11 »

Purely as a matter of interest, are you able to rank stations by their year-on-year growth?

Good idea - I'll have a think!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: