19:13 Salisbury to Worcester Shrub Hill
Delayed
03:56 Swansea to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 07:28:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[69] access for all at Devon stations report
[44] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[16] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: National Rail web based ticketing site: december '23 update.  (Read 2630 times)
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2023, 11:47:13 »

(The site's being updated in stages, the latest is possibly 'Recent' rather than 'December', but the refreshed look now continues through the ticket transaction rather than reverting to the previous interface halfway through.)

It'd be good to hear how people are getting on with it. A big positive is that it's now easier to set a 'Via'. On the negative side, it's possible that for many it's a bit more complicated to find prices for return tickets - reflecting perhaps that the railways would like travellers to buy singles. They *are* there though.

Mark

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2023, 13:11:08 »

Angry Angry Angry Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Failed at first attempt.

Tried a journey from Trowbridge to Slaithwaite.

Shows up as
14:08 Cancelled...unable to purchase this journey

But it's not the 14:08 that's cancelled, its one of the later stages of the journey. I haven't found out which one yet, as the JP doesn't let you see the later journey details if anything is cancelled.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2023, 16:37:49 »

(The site's being updated in stages, the latest is possibly 'Recent' rather than 'December', but the refreshed look now continues through the ticket transaction rather than reverting to the previous interface halfway through.)

It'd be good to hear how people are getting on with it. A big positive is that it's now easier to set a 'Via'. On the negative side, it's possible that for many it's a bit more complicated to find prices for return tickets - reflecting perhaps that the railways would like travellers to buy singles. They *are* there though.

Mark

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

I find it by far the most straightforward and reliable site to use, for planning, up to date information on disruption etc - always seems to be ahead of the others.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2023, 19:20:53 »

It doesn't let me buy a weekday ticket from Melksham that gets me to work in Westbury on time. In theory I start work at 09:30. My usual train leaves Melksham at 09.10 and arrives in Westbury at 09.26 [sometimes... it's usually late]. Unfortunately I then have a 20 minute walk from the station in Westbury. So, I make up the 15 minutes or so that I'm late each morning by staying (very!) late. However I'm aware that there is a service that leaves Melksham at 07.21 and, with two changes (at Chippenham and Bath Spa), gets me into Westbury at 09:05 - a longer journey, and more expensive; but it does at least get me to work on time. The National Rail site referred to here however responds with "no fares available. Please choose another journey." The RailEasy site lets me buy it - admittedly at seven times the cost of a regular return fare, but surely that should be for me to decide?
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2023, 10:06:22 »

Those few comments lead me to the question -
Which site (s) do YOU plan/purchase your journey tickets from?

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2023, 12:40:21 »

TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) most often. Then Templecombe ticket office. Then Virgin Trains Ticketing.

For longer distance journeys, I'll do my own research on prices, validity, routeing and split ticketing.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2023, 19:08:57 »

Everyday use, I tend to go to GWR (Great Western Railway), mainly because it's a lottery whether or not my train from/to Melksham is going to run, so I may as well stop there and buy tickets if there's anything running or at least only delayed and not cancelled.

https://book.splitmyfare.co.uk/ seems to come up with the best options for more complex journeys I find.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2023, 23:28:34 »

For complex journeys I will sometimes use a split ticket website (usually https://tickets.railforums.co.uk/) to confirm my own searching of BRFares, but then buy them from another source to avoid the "finder's fee".

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2023, 07:52:41 »

The new site has broken everyone’s live departure board bookmarks. Not clever.

(I use the TrainSplit app for buying tickets - simple, fast, independent, and finds useful savings.)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2023, 08:29:09 »

The new site has broken everyone’s live departure board bookmarks. Not clever.

I panicked for a moment there - changes to APIs and sites that are scraped are the bane of the life of live web site operations. However, I don't think think this breaks the Coffee Shop in a major way.  Links at the top of the pages here still work.  It does, though, give a problem on one of the links from pages like this for TRO» (Trowbridge - next trains)...bridge http://new.passenger.chat/better/map.html?stn=TRO - and I also need to sort out a couple of other links there!!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 08:34:29 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2023, 13:48:19 »

New year impending, new travel plans. From Bath, checking a couple of 'Via Salisbury' return journeys on the National Rail site.

With the site updated, it's now difficult to tell what sort of ticket that's on offer, especially for anything via London.

It's tricky to pick up, from a list of trains around a particular time, when the transitions are between peak and off peak, that being obscured by the site offering a mix of unrestricted and advance tickets.

The brfares.com site is a useful companion as it reveals the range of fares available, but that's hardly an approach that the majority of rail travellers will consider. Since many advance tickets are offering only a trivial discount over less restricted ones, the site could do with an option to exclude advance fares.

The Bristol / Bath to London day return fare, it's been withdrawn, yes?

Mark
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2023, 14:37:38 »

The Bristol / Bath to London day return fare, it's been withdrawn, yes?

There are still two off peak day return fares Bath Spa to London via Salisbury and Warminster there - first class and standard class - according to BRfares. Still there from 2nd January too. Price is £66.20 (adult, no railcard)

If you want something a bit different, try an anytime day return from Portway Park and Ride to London via Warminster and Salisbury at £43.40 - it's restricted in that you may not arrive into Waterloo before 10:00, but there are no restrictions on the return time.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2024, 23:52:42 »

From the Rail Delivery Group's Routeing Guide frontpage:
PLEASE NOTE this guide is of necessity a complex document and the Journey
Planner should be used to validate any intended route (including relevant ‘via’ points)
to ensure that it can be used with your ticket. This is especially necessary if using
this guide to identify whether an indirect or unusual route is valid for use.

My question:

Is the new incarnation of the National Rail Journey Planner fit for the above purpose?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2024, 08:00:43 »

From the Rail Delivery Group's Routeing Guide frontpage:
PLEASE NOTE this guide is of necessity a complex document and the Journey
Planner should be used to validate any intended route (including relevant ‘via’ points)
to ensure that it can be used with your ticket. This is especially necessary if using
this guide to identify whether an indirect or unusual route is valid for use.

My question:

Is the new incarnation of the National Rail Journey Planner fit for the above purpose?

Good question.

Is it possible for any piece of software to implement the Routing Guide as it is currently written, and on that basis is the routing guide itself fit for purpose? 

Is there a better way to describe those magic words "any permitted" which hide a veritable galaxy of wonders and wobblies?   

Could we restart with "Any reasonable" and come up with something based on previous discussions here at the Coffee Shop?

plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2024, 08:49:24 »

If you plan a journey using a via point and a change is required, see journey details doesn't break the journey down to show the separate trains.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: