15:34 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 15:42:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[106] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[94] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[93] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[83] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!
[32] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Somerset to Sydney without flying  (Read 3569 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 19, 2023, 05:53:27 »

From The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

A family travelling to Australia without flying have reached Indonesia after a journey of three and a half months.

Shannon Coggins, Theo Simon and their daughter Rosa, 19, left East Pennard on 16 August to begin the 10,000-mile (16,000km) journey to Sydney.

They decided to stop flying in 2002 "because of its effect on the climate".

The family is hoping to make it in time for Ms Coggins' sister's wedding on 28 December.

They have travelled through Kazakhstan, China, Laos, Thailand and Indonesia, and are now in Dili, East Timor's capital, hoping to find a boat to cross the Timor Sea to Darwin, Australia.

From there they plan to take a bus to Sydney.

I make that 100 miles per day.

Passages may still be possible on freight boats rather than overland (?) and a round the world cruise of around 100 days will get you from Somerset to Sydney in about half that time.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2023, 06:41:41 »

Much as I am an admire of this trip,its not for me,and I have been to Australia many times by plane and will do again soon.

Did they actually think how much they have saved for our World?

Just think of all the toilet facilities they have had to use on the trek.

This carbon footprint is in your head
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2023, 07:36:07 »

Just think of all the toilet facilities they have had to use on the trek.

Indeed - but then they have to use the toilet in Somerset and they've save doing so there for 100 days by being 100 days on the road.

It is true that their individual journey will have saved little if anything because the plane will flying anyway with empty seats BUT the influence on others to also make the change will bring a step change (initially of one) to the number of aircraft flying ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2023, 14:54:21 »

This carbon footprint is in your head

You'd have to be pretty bendy to do that.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2023, 00:52:42 »

Use of toilet facilities and the carbon footprint thereof is a red herring.
Rather than travelling to Australia, they could have stayed at home, toilets still used.

Passenger travel on cargo ships is still possible and has much to commend it. Such ships burn a lot of polluting heavy oil but the EXtra fuel consumed by caryying a passenger is negligable.
The accomadation is generally a lot more spacious than that on a cruise ship.
No more than 12 passengers may be carried on most freight ships.

A friend has made several return voyages to the USA thus, and one to Australia. One voyage was alarming due to extreme weather, the others more routine.
Food included, alcohol extra, but at duty free prices NOT at cruise ship bar prices.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2023, 02:37:33 »

EXtra fuel consumed by caryying a passenger is negligable

A very true statement,but the same could be said for traveling by plane.

I don't think there was a toilet on every street corner on this land trip,we struggle to find toilets in our own country, and we live here.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2023, 05:12:09 »

If fewer passengers fly then the airlines will operate fewer flights or use smaller aircraft, they wont carry on operating near empty aircraft for long.
No freight shipping firm is going to cancel sailings due to fewer passengers, the ships sail primarliy for freight and still run if no passengers are on board.
The extra fuel used is minute, and is due to the extra weight of the passenger, luggage, and any extra consumables carried.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2023, 10:25:13 »

How about this an alternative to flying? Using the 'Greyhound' bus network to travel from New York to Los Angeles?

https://youtu.be/z8QGTaGwxxc?si=RuVH0jITcJb8Ov77

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2023, 11:28:53 »

I know Theo Simon, though not well. He has been campaigning on green issues for very many years, and his band, Seize The Day, have played at numerous fundraising events for green groups, and are very good. He also stood as a parliamentary candidate a few years ago in his home constituency, and got a good vote.

I have had the same dilemma, as my two brothers both live in Australia, and I have never visited as I don't wish to fly, largely for environmental reasons though for others as well. I did spend a lot of time looking at how to get there without flying and it wasn't easy, and I'm not keen on travelling on a freight carrying ship, so realistically almost impossible without finding someone who will carry you by boat. Trains and ferries in theory could get you as far as Indonesia, but there are no connections from there into Australia.

Having now reached my 70s, and finding long distance travel less inviting by the day, I may well take my one flight this century at some point soon to at least get to see them there. I live a low impact life as it is, so in terms of carbon output can probably "afford" it.
rogerpatenall

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2023, 13:33:11 »

Don't give up considering a freight carrying ship'. It is usually far less austere than it sounds. It does help if you are good at entertaining yourself with books and music - you never know it may result in your first novel . . . For me, on the couple of occasions that I have travelled this way .I have been lucky in having Masters who welcomed my very extended visits to the bridge.
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2023, 03:05:22 »

JayMac: I did that trip back in the late 1980's

Starting at New York down to Disneyland then to Los angels,although we did stay in Nashville for a couple of days.

Froome:Where about in Australia,I would like to pass on a few tips to you.
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2023, 14:07:11 »

Don't give up considering a freight carrying ship'. It is usually far less austere than it sounds. It does help if you are good at entertaining yourself with books and music - you never know it may result in your first novel . . . For me, on the couple of occasions that I have travelled this way .I have been lucky in having Masters who welcomed my very extended visits to the bridge.

This sounds encouraging and fascinating. I would certainly be interested in hearing more details. How did you go about finding a suitable cargo ship? Did you have an opportunity to see the space on offer before booking? What space did you have (both yours and communally available). Did you eat with all the shipworkers?
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2023, 14:12:27 »

JayMac: I did that trip back in the late 1980's

Starting at New York down to Disneyland then to Los angels,although we did stay in Nashville for a couple of days.

Froome:Where about in Australia,I would like to pass on a few tips to you.

I have one brother in Perth and the other in Canberra, and a nephew in Brisbane. However, I've now heard that one of my brothers may come to the UK (United Kingdom) for a visit next year, so that would rule out me travelling there in 2024.

When I did look into this in some detail, and had decided that it would be more practical for me to fly there and back, I did look into going first to Perth, and booking onto the train that travels across the country to Sydney or Melbourne, and then go up to Canberra and Brisbane. If I did the journey, I expect I would also be tempted by the train going north through Alice Springs to Darwin, for the experience. I know that for the Perth eastwards train, it is better to book more than 6 months ahead, as that is much cheaper.
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2023, 07:19:20 »

I think you will find the trains that do the route Perth to Adelaide/melbourne AND

Adelaide to Darwin via Alice Springs

are tourist trains

Where as Melbourne/Sydney/Brisbane are for those who don't want to fly.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2023, 06:35:39 »

This sounds encouraging and fascinating. I would certainly be interested in hearing more details. How did you go about finding a suitable cargo ship? Did you have an opportunity to see the space on offer before booking? What space did you have (both yours and communally available). Did you eat with all the shipworkers?

There are several firms offering bookings for passenger travel on cargo ships.
No you can not normally view the accommodation before use, pictures are available. Cabins are generally very spacious if  compared to a cruise ship. Cabins would be called "super DOUBLE emperor class" or some similar ridiculous superlative on a cruise ship. A few cargo ships even have a small swimming pool containing heated seawater, not treated or purified but continually replaced.
Eating is generally with the ships officers, sometimes at a separate table, sometimes not. Food generally very good but limited in choice.
Access to the bridge and engine room is by permission only, which is usually granted.
Entertainment is limited to reading, video tapes/DVDs, radio, and sometimes satellite TV. An Inmarsat telephone is normally available for emergencies but is too expensive for routine calls. You can of course take your own Inmarsat phone if you have one.
Power supply is normally single phase AC, 230 volts, 50 cycles, possibly 120 volts , 60 cycles on American built ships (USA REGISTERED ships are not allowed to carry passengers)
A standard cellphone should work in port or within sight of land.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: