Delayed
07:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Swansea
07:52 London Paddington to Great Malvern
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 09:03:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[125] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[65] access for all at Devon stations report
[41] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[15] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Call for rail fare simplification  (Read 4681 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2024, 19:51:34 »

Looking at the response on social media to LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about)’s fare ‘simplification’ it has gone down very badly.

I’m expecting a screeching u turn on this one.
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2024, 21:05:24 »

Is it a two year trial? Long enough to be reflected in stats for Haymarket.

Mark
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2024, 22:36:54 »

This from Jen on Trains from YouTube posted without comment  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AQhUBLbiLM&t=2s
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 10:30:21 by rogerw » Logged
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2024, 08:37:52 »

This from Jen on Trains from YouTube posted without comment
Thttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3AQhUBLbiLM&t=2s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AQhUBLbiLM&t=2s

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2024, 09:19:01 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68009768
Ticket machines at train stations charge passengers more than double than what they would cost online for some journeys, according to analysis.

Consumer group Which?'s research said same-day rail tickets were 50% more expensive on average at stations.
..............................continues.....................

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2024, 09:51:29 »

Ticket machines at train stations charge passengers more than double than what they would cost online for some journeys, according to analysis.

Consumer group Which?'s research said same-day rail tickets were 50% more expensive on average at stations.

Anyone surprised?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2024, 12:25:37 »

Anyone surprised?

Very few of our members and regular guests are likely to be ... but I know there's a significant proportion of rail users who pay much more that they need for their journeys, and that it can be difficult or impossible to buy the best walk up fare for your journey from a machine - if you can even establish what that best fare is when you're standing at an unmanned station looking at the machine ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2024, 12:33:45 »

If the LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about) 'simplification' is a TOC (Train Operating Company)-specific initiative a pox on all their houses; if it is a tester for a system wide fares update then it shows some promise but I think it could be better.

I could be wrong but I would guess that the TOC's are quite keen to know before the event how many pax are travelling on each of their 'long-distance' services. Hence the retention of Advance tickets.

Having most (all?) walk-up tickets replaced by Anytime fares seems the right way to go as long as the pricing is done sensibly.

I just don't get the reasoning behind the 70 minute Flex fare - which according to Simon Calder allows travel on the services immediately before and after the booked train - as a simplification it is not. Aside from anything else it complicates ticket validity checking by Train Managers (unless the ticket itself will actually display which 3 services it can be used on).
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2024, 13:30:14 »

Anyone surprised?

Yes................but not with the fares findings. More with "Which ?" using Trainline as its base line for best value.
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2024, 15:45:03 »

One thing to be careful of is Trainline routinely splitting journeys after a one-time prompt about offering "split-save". At this prompt it does explain about the need for the train to call at the splitting stations, but then after that there's no reminder.

For walk up tickets, if the spit ticket the Trainline offers only allows a subset of trains to be used then the comparison Which is making is not entirely fair.

...as an aside I needed some tyres quickly the other day, I ended up paying about 1/3 more than I would have done online. I don't think it's totally unreasonable for the same product to be priced differently depending on the sales channel.
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2024, 15:51:00 »

I just don't get the reasoning behind the 70 minute Flex fare - which according to Simon Calder allows travel on the services immediately before and after the booked train - as a simplification it is not. Aside from anything else it complicates ticket validity checking by Train Managers (unless the ticket itself will actually display which 3 services it can be used on).
I don't think there's any need for it. TOCs (Train Operating Company) should advertise the fact more that if your connection(s) into a long distance leg are delayed, you can get the next one anyway. Just amend the T&Cs for the current advances to say you can travel 70 minutes earlier if desired or allow guards/TMs(resolve) to use discretion. A significant cohort of people do actually respect the advance conditions and are concerned about missing their booked train that they turn up early enough to catch the previous one.
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2024, 00:26:24 »

I very rarely use a ticket with a specific train listed on it and normally that specific train is the Night Riviera. I can’t guarantee that I will make a specific train and because of that I like the Off Peak or Super Off Peak tickets. 70 minutes won’t cover it for me and what happens if the next train is cancelled and the one after that is more than 70 minutes away? That’s more then possible at the moment on the Cotswold line.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2024, 09:40:22 »

Daily Telegraph

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2024, 11:27:50 »

I just don't get the reasoning behind the 70 minute Flex fare ...

Same logic as the flexiseason - to meet market demand for something between a single, tight "this train only" fare and a much more expensive anytime. Much will depend on all the pricing, but there could be an expectation that this fare will very rarely be the one people end up buying. With the flexiseason I have spoken with / informed quite a few people of their options when travelling, and on only one or two occasions has it been a good solution for them.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2024, 11:59:30 »

I guess the suitability of any simplification will depend on whether the government wants to simplify fares to encourage more people to travel by train and ensure fewer people buy the wrong ticket.

Or or they want to put people off travelling by train with higher fares so they might be able to reduce the cost of the railway by reducing services and/or closing lines/stations or effectively remove the ‘walk up’ railway principle on longer distance routes.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: