29th Apr (1963)
Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 20:52:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[127] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[125] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[88] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[78] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[46] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15
  Print  
Author Topic: 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line  (Read 15979 times)
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 14, 2024, 02:43:03 »

07:36 London Paddington to Great Malvern due 10:14 will no longer call at Worcester Foregate Street.
This is due to a shortage of station staff.
Last Updated:14/04/2024 02:26

08:15 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington due 10:31 will be started from Worcester Shrub Hill.
Last Updated:14/04/2024 02:23

08:58 Great Malvern to London Paddington due 11:31 will no longer call at Worcester Foregate Street.
Last Updated:14/04/2024 02:25

09:58 Great Malvern to London Paddington due 12:30 will no longer call at Worcester Foregate Street.
Last Updated:14/04/2024 02:27
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 14, 2024, 07:25:36 »

No platform staff at Foregate Street until 11am.  Also affects West Midlands Railway services. 
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 14, 2024, 08:01:10 »

No platform staff at Foregate Street until 11am.  Also affects West Midlands Railway services. 

Rather embarrassing.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #183 on: April 14, 2024, 16:20:16 »

WMT are short of station staff in the area - Shrub Hill was short of staff several days last week
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 14, 2024, 16:29:59 »

There’s a lot to moan about on the railways as we know, but just taking a look at today’s unit allocations on the line and of the 29 trains on the route today, just 2 were allocated for 5-car units - the first up one and one of the evening down ones.

In the pre-IET (Intercity Express Train) days on a Sunday it was a mix of 3,5,7, and 8 carriage trains, so quite a leap in the right direction capacity wise on the increasingly busy Sunday services.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #185 on: April 14, 2024, 22:57:15 »

Yes, I was impressed to see a nine-carriage IET (Intercity Express Train) at Worcester Foregate Street the other day...

...on a Bristol Temple Meads service which until recently would have been two or three carriages. Meanwhile our Cotswolds service had five which would have been rather cosy after Oxford.

Not as good as this Paddington-Hereford, though, which RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) swears has 18 carriages.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #186 on: April 15, 2024, 07:16:04 »

There’s a lot to moan about on the railways as we know, but just taking a look at today’s unit allocations on the line and of the 29 trains on the route today, just 2 were allocated for 5-car units - the first up one and one of the evening down ones.

In the pre-IET (Intercity Express Train) days on a Sunday it was a mix of 3,5,7, and 8 carriage trains, so quite a leap in the right direction capacity wise on the increasingly busy Sunday services.

A huge amount of good has happened over the last decade though some of us moan at the loss of love facilities.  But sadly when one element goes wrong it often has a disproportionate effect and that's why reliability is key and we tend to emphasise and look to fixing the failures - if only at times (because it's all we can do!) bringing the issues and concerns to the further attention of the authorities.

As an example, I'm on a journey from Antwerp to Melksham - planned via Dieppe.  5 trains yesterday, and the longest delay was 10 minutes, which did not matter.  Overnight hotel in Dieppe and planned for the 06:30 ship to Newhaven - which has been cancelled (they tell me "weather" but I think I smell a porkie) and that one failure out of 6 is the one noted and damages the whole journey. Made all the worse by the last minute information to me about the change, received just a few miles short of Dieppe!

I am an advocate for public transport and on so on places like this I try to be careful about logging / complaining at failures - laugh between a rock and a hard place because  I do not want to put people off who might use it, but at the same time I want to help persuade the powers that be, and have others help persuade them, that they should improve certain things, what matters to the user, and make positive suggestions as to how they can.

I have gone off on a bit of a [rant/sermon/explanation] there - sorry!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 15, 2024, 08:00:11 »

As an example, I'm on a journey from Antwerp to Melksham - planned via Dieppe.  5 trains yesterday, and the longest delay was 10 minutes, which did not matter.  Overnight hotel in Dieppe and planned for the 06:30 ship to Newhaven - which has been cancelled (they tell me "weather" but I think I smell a porkie) and that one failure out of 6 is the one noted and damages the whole journey. Made all the worse by the last minute information to me about the change, received just a few miles short of Dieppe!

There are moderate/severe weather warnings for wind in place for most of England & Northern France so I wouldn't assume you're being told "porkies"......hope the crossing isn't too choppy!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #188 on: April 15, 2024, 08:12:57 »

There are moderate/severe weather warnings for wind in place for most of England & Northern France so I wouldn't assume you're being told "porkies"......hope the crossing isn't too choppy!

Hmmm - OK - thank you.  Just that it seems pretty calm here in Dieppe this morning ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 15, 2024, 08:15:51 »

Yes, I was impressed to see a nine-carriage IET (Intercity Express Train) at Worcester Foregate Street the other day...

...on a Bristol Temple Meads service which until recently would have been two or three carriages. Meanwhile our Cotswolds service had five which would have been rather cosy after Oxford.

Not as good as this Paddington-Hereford, though, which RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) swears has 18 carriages.
Even more impressive, the subsequent ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) move from one side of Hereford to the other involved 36 carriages.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 15, 2024, 08:19:21 »

05:23 Hereford to London Paddington due 08:24 will be terminated at Worcester Shrub Hill.
It will be starting late from Hereford.
This is due to a fault on this train.
Last Updated:15/04/2024 05:22
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 15, 2024, 17:03:19 »

According to RTT» (Real Time Trains - website)

1P05 1520 Hereford to Paddington was on time to Colwall, and somehow managed to be 50 minutes late leaving Malvern Link

Projected to be leaving Shrub Hill at 1706, following 1P38, the 1632 Great Malvern to Paddington.  The Westbound working of 1P38 is 1W27 Paddington to Great Malvern.  This was terminated at Shrub Hill
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #192 on: April 15, 2024, 18:18:28 »

Hmmm - OK - thank you.  Just that it seems pretty calm here in Dieppe this morning ...

Now at sea on that later crossing, yep, a bit choppy but I have been in worse!

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #193 on: April 15, 2024, 20:17:21 »

It *was* a lot worse this morning!!
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 15, 2024, 20:19:32 »

Sea state visualisation...

Mark

https://www.windy.com/-Waves-waves?waves,54.381,-3.032,5
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15
  Print  

Jump to: