Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
28/04/24 09:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
28/04/24 09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
28/04/24 11:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
22:50 London Paddington to Oxford
23:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 00:24:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[67] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[35] access for all at Devon stations report
[22] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Travel advice 4th January onwards  (Read 2660 times)
Rob S

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2024, 11:46:07 »

Rob S

Will you be putting a claim for the £111  taxi ride?

I have, yes  Smiley
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2024, 11:47:40 »

If you want to understand what the Met Office is up against in their forecasting, I suggest following their weekly "Deep Dive" on their You Tube channel.  They do indeed look at the European and even the US weather models as well as their own.  
I do thank you ellendune and I have a great deal of respect for the work the Met Office do.

I was referring more to their warnings being very much based on one model from observations I've been making of issued weather warnings of late. As soon as UKV shows it, the warnings reflect what it shows. Fair enough, you may say. That's their forecast model very much aimed at the UK (United Kingdom). All I'm asking is should their warnings take into consideration what other forecast models are showing and not just what the latest run of UKV is showing? That model's performance of late at times has left a lot to be desired.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2024, 16:16:42 »

Some more background to events in Pangbourne;

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news/24030707.pangbourne-murder-probe-woman-stabbed-man-found-dead/
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2024, 18:01:42 »

To give an idea of what they are up against, here's what Newbury Station has been like-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c72yvylpzdpo

I expect Network Rail will also be looking with concern at how various earthworks will hold up with all the soaking they are currently getting.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2024, 19:35:14 »

I have more sympathy with "the railway" in conditions this bad. What annoys me is the endless disruption in only moderately adverse weather.
 Considerable flooding near me, I am not directly affected as atop a small hill, but the odd power cut, and tesco home delivery much delayed.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2024, 21:02:39 »

Wow.  We did hear details late last night. I don’t know how events unfolded but there was talk GWR (Great Western Railway)/NR» (Network Rail - home page) wouldn’t be allowed access to the train until gone midnight, some 5 hours after the incident. What time they moved the train I have no idea, but the lines weren’t handed back for around 12 hours.
I guess they must have been searching for a weapon.
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2024, 22:59:11 »

I have more sympathy with "the railway" in conditions this bad. What annoys me is the endless disruption in only moderately adverse weather.
 Considerable flooding near me, I am not directly affected as atop a small hill, but the odd power cut, and tesco home delivery much delayed.
The bit that I tend to wonder about when something goes awry in the Thames Valley is why route knowledge is not maintained via Greenford and Oxford. Yes, it would be slow, but it would give a realistic alternative route between Paddington and Swindon.

Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2024, 00:18:11 »

The bit that I tend to wonder about when something goes awry in the Thames Valley is why route knowledge is not maintained via Greenford and Oxford. Yes, it would be slow, but it would give a realistic alternative route between Paddington and Swindon.

The main issue would be retention of route knowledge, so you'd need there to be scheduled services for GWR (Great Western Railway) drivers and TM(resolve)'s/Guards in order to maintain the route competency.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2024, 07:01:36 »

I've changed the thread title again as there is still disruption to GWR (Great Western Railway) services into the weekend due to flooding continuing to affect journeys between Swindon & Bristol Parkway, and Reading & Westbury.

JayMac
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 07:43:58 by JayMac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2024, 07:04:33 »

The latest information from GWR (Great Western Railway), 7am Saturday 6th January 2024:

We’re really sorry for the disruption customers have faced after flooding closed some routes.

Rising river levels and already saturated ground means some lines may continue to be affected and customers should check their journeys before travelling.

The line between Swindon and Bristol Parkway is expected to remain closed this weekend, and the line between Theale and Taunton is likely to remain closed on Saturday 6 January. Services will continue to operate on a diversionary route and journeys will take longer.

To help customers with their journeys, those with tickets on affected routes for Thursday 4, Friday 5 and Saturday 6 January can travel up to and including Monday 8 January.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2024, 17:01:42 »

Apart from Ollies valid point about route knowledge retention you are assuming there is line capacity on the Chiltern Route

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2024, 20:10:16 »

Apart from Ollies valid point about route knowledge retention you are assuming there is line capacity on the Chiltern Route

I assume one could replace a MYB (London (Marylebone))-OXF» (Oxford - next trains) service with a PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-OXF service in the same path if required.

On a different note, is the line between Old Oak Common and Greenford going to be restored post HS2 (The next High Speed line(s))?
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2024, 00:40:47 »

Journey planners are still showing bus services to Swindon on today, Sunday 7th. Trains to Bristol and South Wales are supposed to be diverted via Pewsey. Journeycheck predicts disruption of services via Pewsey until end of 7th.

Anybody know what's being planned?

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2024, 07:39:00 »

Journey planners are still showing bus services to Swindon on today, Sunday 7th. Trains to Bristol and South Wales are supposed to be diverted via Pewsey. Journeycheck predicts disruption of services via Pewsey until end of 7th.

Looking at journeycheck for clues at the moment (7.34) is a bit pointless as there are contradictory scenarios being shown. You can’t have the Berks and Hants closed AND engineering work between Chippenham and Reading and be able to run direct trains between South Wales/Bristol/Southwest and London.

Would be crazy to try and bus everyone between Chippenham and Reading from trains coming from all three places listed above.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2024, 08:09:02 »

Looking at journeycheck for clues at the moment (7.34) is a bit pointless ...

Utter chaos - rather sadly, best advice today may be "do not travel".   Let's face it, we have a fair weather, weekday only network ... and in poor weather (and for days thereafter) it struggles to meet expectations.   The overcomplexity of modern life adds all sorts of new issues that get in the way ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: