Train RunningShort Run
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 02:38:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[120] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[62] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[56] underground plans for Bristol update.
[46] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[41] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[40] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Heading off in THREE different directions to get to the same place.  (Read 1176 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 08, 2024, 21:18:31 »

With apologies (or thanks) to Industry Insider who gave me the idea for this one.

There are two stations I can think of where you can head off along three different routes and all end up at or passing though the same station.  And by "different routes",  I mean that although trains my leave from the same end of the platform, the routes are different if they split before the next station.te

For this purpose, Reading does NOT count as even two because one route ends up at Waterloo and the other at Paddington. Oxford would not count either, because one ends up in Marylebone and the other Paddington.   Bristol Temple Meads to Paddington counts as 2 route, because most Paddington train head out through Keynsham and one heads out through Lawrence Hill, but it is does not count as 3 routes because the third one (via Westbury) also goes via Keynsham.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2024, 22:41:08 »

Mornington Crescent!
Hafren

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2024, 23:10:07 »

Dartford (among other(s)) to London Bridge
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2024, 06:58:42 »

Various circular trains from WAT to WAT.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2024, 07:53:49 »

Yes, I had Dartford.  Next station Slade Green, or Barnhurst, or Crayford - three immediately different routes on the way to London Bridge (and Charing Cross / Waterloo East, and Cannon Street).   

Not Waterloo though - the next station is always Vauxhall ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2024, 08:39:38 »

How about Waterloo to Guildford via
  • Woking
  • Cobham & Stoke D'Abernon
  • Epsom
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2024, 09:20:18 »

• Woking
  • Epsom

Interesting sets of multiple routes - but everything from Waterloo goes though Vauxhall (and Queens Road and Clapham Junction) so it's scarcely headed off in different directions.

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2024, 09:37:29 »

• Woking
  • Epsom

Interesting sets of multiple routes - but everything from Waterloo goes though Vauxhall (and Queens Road and Clapham Junction) so it's scarcely headed off in different directions.

From the Guildford end, there are only two routes until one splits after Effingham Junction. Twickenham also fails by the same next station rule, but by only one station (Strawberry Hill).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2024, 10:57:19 »

From the Guildford end, there are only two routes until one splits after Effingham Junction. Twickenham also fails by the same next station rule, but by only one station (Strawberry Hill).

Apart from Dartford, I can only think of one other personally.   It's a station I know and a service I have used - confusingly lots of services from "XX" all setting off to "YY" - sometimes even two at the same time in different directions.

brooklea
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2024, 11:36:10 »

Wimbledon to Clapham Junction and Waterloo can be done direct via Earlsfield, in the opposite direction via the Kingston Loop, and early in the morning (except Sundays) via East Putney, sharing the tracks with LU’s District Line - it’s a journey I’ve managed to make successfully a couple of times!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2024, 11:42:17 »

Wimbledon to Clapham Junction and Waterloo can be done direct via Earlsfield, in the opposite direction via the Kingston Loop, and early in the morning (except Sundays) via East Putney, sharing the tracks with LU’s District Line - it’s a journey I’ve managed to make successfully a couple of times!

Well spotted - that meets the criteria ... and is NOT the one I had in mind!

brooklea
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2024, 12:35:44 »

Motherwell, to Glasgow Central via Hamilton, or Whifflet, or Uddingston.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2024, 12:43:17 »

Motherwell, to Glasgow Central via Hamilton, or Whifflet, or Uddingston.

Yep, that's the one I was thinking of.

Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2024, 14:13:02 »

You can head west from Stratford by three different routes and arrive at Liverpool Street but one of these is of course the London Underground Central line and all three will take you to different parts of Liverpool Street so this may well not count and definitely would not if it has to be three different directions out of the platforms.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 14:20:51 by Zoe » Logged
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2024, 14:24:36 »

You can head west from Stratford by three different routes and arrive at Liverpool Street but one of these is of course the London Underground Central line and all three will take you to different parts of Liverpool Street so this may well not count and definitely would not if it has to be three different directions out of the platforms.
If the London Underground counts, then there are loads of answers. Paddington to Baker Street, Paddington to Liverpool Street, Paddington to Embankment...

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: