27/04/24 15:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
17:43 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
18:12 Salisbury to Cheltenham Spa
18:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
19:13 Salisbury to Worcester Shrub Hill
Delayed
11:12 Salisbury to Worcester Foregate Street
15:59 Cardiff Central to Taunton
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 20:57 Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 13:20:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[97] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Model Railway News - a closure and a cutback  (Read 1787 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 13, 2024, 09:03:14 »

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail?id=1498

It is with immense sadness that we share news of the upcoming closure of Hattons Model Railways, an institution in the hobby since 1946.

Over the decades, we've been privileged to serve enthusiasts and share our passion for model railways with hundreds of thousands of customers.

https://thewarleyshow.co.uk

The Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 2023 was another successful event. Many thousands of happy visitors attended and we have received many positive comments. The quality of the layouts was again high and we were well supported by many traders, societies and displays.

The Warley exhibition is different to many other major shows. It is run by a team of volunteers from within the club, some of whom have organised and delivered the show for over 30 years.

The members have considered the present market conditions and their ability to deliver, what is a complex undertaking, and have concluded that the time has come to cease holding an exhibition at the NEC» (National Exhibition Centre - about) for the foreseeable future.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2024, 09:15:01 »

Quoting from within one of those articles ...

Steve Flint, former Railway Modeller editor and WMRC member added that although he was disappointed to see the end of the Warley National Model Railway Show at the NEC» (National Exhibition Centre - about), he felt it was a carefully considered decision by the members.

“The hobby is alive and well at grass roots level, but the commercial boom period of recent decades has probably run its course, having been slowed by the effects of the pandemic, the cost-of-living crisis and the ever-increasing age of enthusiasts.”

He said that it would be folly for an organisation like the Warley Model Railway Club - itself a charitable organisation - to continue taking further financial risk in the current climate.

“Moreover,” he added, “the tick of the demographic time bomb is getting more prominent, as the next generation of younger enthusiasts required to take over the staffing and running of such prestigious events does not seem to be materialising. Hence, it is time for Warley Model Railway Club to step aside with pride, having had the privilege of promoting this great creative hobby to the nation at the NEC for over thirty years with the full support of hundreds of volunteer enthusiasts, manufacturers and retail traders.”

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2024, 10:21:27 »

It is with immense sadness that we share news of the upcoming closure of Hattons Model Railways, an institution in the hobby since 1946.

I see the "B"-word prominent in their announcement.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2024, 11:06:03 »

Which "B" word might that be ?  I can only see a couple of "B" words and they only seem to be mentioned only once - except "be"..........
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2024, 11:39:51 »

Actually they are pains to state that they are NOT insolvent.  Presumably they have looked at the future and decided that things don't look good, but for now they are are OK. 
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2024, 12:08:32 »

Which "B" word might that be ?  I can only see a couple of "B" words and they only seem to be mentioned only once - except "be"..........

From Hatton's press release:

Increased cost of compliance has become a large factor. Brexit, GST and other operational costs of running an international business have all increased dramatically over the past few years.

One word beginning with "B" is the first word in a sentence. They describe themselves as "an international business".

Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2024, 15:04:19 »

From Hatton's press release:

Increased cost of compliance has become a large factor. Brexit, GST and other operational costs of running an international business have all increased dramatically over the past few years.

One word beginning with "B" is the first word in a sentence. They describe themselves as "an international business".

Oh dear................seven and a half years on and they still can't get over it ! A Referendum and a General Election ago .............and "B" still has to be blamed for everything that might go wrong.

Yesterday my car told me that my rear off side tyre pressure was a bit low.............I have worried myself silly since then: A leaky valve ? A nail in my tyre ? Stop Oil protesters ? A "Friday" built Michelin ?
I must suppose that had I voted against "The B Word" and had festered over it ever since I could have instantly blamed "B" for the loss of air pressure in my tyre and all again would have been sweetness and light.............perhaps Ursula von der Leyen would have even snuck in at night, with her foot pump, and restored my blood tyre pressure without my even knowing about the problem.  Amazingly, I have not heard the Horizon fiasco blamed on it - not even by Ed Davey..............yet !!

Ah well..............what could have been   Roll Eyes  Wink

PS:  Institute for Economic Affairs report (6/11/23)  -  " 'B' leaves UK (United Kingdom) trade unscathed ". 
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2024, 15:58:05 »

Oh dear................seven and a half years on and they still can't get over it ! A Referendum and a General Election ago .............and "B" still has to be blamed for everything that might go wrong.

Yesterday my car told me that my rear off side tyre pressure was a bit low.............I have worried myself silly since then: A leaky valve ? A nail in my tyre ? Stop Oil protesters ? A "Friday" built Michelin ?
I must suppose that had I voted against "The B Word" and had festered over it ever since I could have instantly blamed "B" for the loss of air pressure in my tyre and all again would have been sweetness and light.............perhaps Ursula von der Leyen would have even snuck in at night, with her foot pump, and restored my blood tyre pressure without my even knowing about the problem.  Amazingly, I have not heard the Horizon fiasco blamed on it - not even by Ed Davey..............yet !!

Ah well..............what could have been   Roll Eyes  Wink

PS:  Institute for Economic Affairs report (6/11/23)  -  " 'B' leaves UK (United Kingdom) trade unscathed ". 

We should reflect that the Institute for Economic Affairs is a right wing think tank that among other things was the origin for the Truss budget. Here's a precis of that report, from the IEA themselves.

https://iea.org.uk/media/brexit-leaves-uk-trade-unscathed-finds-new-iea-report/

A quote: "UK goods exports rose by 13.5 per cent to EU» (European Union - about) countries and 14.3 per cent to non-EU countries between 2019 and 2022, before and after Brexit. This indicates no impact of Brexit on goods trade."

Now, that sounds encouraging. But, those figures from the IEA aren't adjusted for the inflation that's occurred between those two dates. Factor in inflation, and trade to the EU has fallen by over 7% and to the rest of the world, by over 9%.

Also... it's complicated, as this, from the House of Commons Library, indicates:

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-7851/

Mark
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2024, 15:59:37 »

I am merely the messenger. I suggest you address your concerns to Hatton's.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2024, 22:00:17 »

Using the IEA to back up a pro-Brexit point of view is hardly in depth analysis.

If Hatton's blame Brexit then I'd like to believe they are merely stating a fact, not expressing a political opinion.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2024, 08:54:41 »

Using the IEA to back up a pro-Brexit point of view is hardly in depth analysis.

One could say the same about chosing just one of the items mentioned by Hattons as being the sole cause of their decision is equally suspect and one sided.

Hattons mention seven specific reasons (plus "other.....costs") for their decision - yet "Brexit" is immediately to "blame"....................QED.

PS: It was reported in the national media, only a couple of days back, that there had been a huge decline in the interest in model railways over the past few years....................no connection ??
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 08:59:49 by Clan Line » Logged
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2024, 10:04:25 »

It was reported in the national media, only a couple of days back, that there had been a huge decline in the interest in model railways over the past few years....................no connection ??
Wouldn’t surprise me. Always been an expensive hobby but have you seen the prices of the models these days?!?!?
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2024, 11:03:20 »

I have a number of model trains pristine in their boxes.  They are nice to look at but sadly I don't have the room for a layout - and I suspect I am not alone.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2024, 11:19:06 »

Times change ... and businesses (and everyone else looking ahead) needs to move on.  

Note all the changes that we perhaps would not have forecast a decade ago. With the astounding technology changes, with those who remember the romantic age of rail becoming less able and active, with many needing to cut back on none-essentials, with the changes (love them or hate them) brought as a result of Brexit, with the effects, short and long term, of covid on society, and with wars in Ukraine and the Middle East, we are now in a different environment.

Railways have been around for over 200 years. The first successful steam locomotive was Salamaca - rack and pinion on the Middleton Railway in Leeds - but look at how few models you see of railways from the first 50 years, or even the first hundred years.   People look at not exactly modern image, but living memory image and that has faded and become more boring.

Looking more recent, 100 years ago, stations were interesting.  Exmouth (as a random example) had 4 platforms, lots of sidings, and an array of interesting things to reproduce in miniature.  These days though it has, I would be pretty sure, more train services and more passengers but they would be mighty boring to model with multiple units driving in an out of a single platform.

The really old stuff is rarely modelled - too long ago. The modern stuff - sorry - too uninteresting and the modelling of railways loses a lot of its fun, even before you look at all the alternative hobbies.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2024, 12:07:36 »

Story picked up in the national press - here is The Standard

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: