11:12 Salisbury to Worcester Foregate Street
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 14:13:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[97] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Trains idling at termini  (Read 2219 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2024, 11:46:53 »

Mike Calvert, who lives near Severn Beach Station, has been complaining for some time about the noise and fumes from trains idling at the terminus. He's been promised that this will be kept to a minimum, but it seems like intentions and reality differ. Here's his latest email on the topic:

"The trains remain idling (including revving of engines) at the Severn Beach station, following countless complaints.

It is alarming that all trains on Monday 29th idled at the station, with no drivers opting to turn off the trains, as stipulated in GWR (Great Western Railway) policy.

Actual idling times for Monday 29th.

05:53 – 6 minutes
06:31 – 9 minutes
07:01 – 11 minutes
07:33 – 9 minutes
08:01 – 11 minutes
09:01 – 36 minutes
10:01 – 32 minutes
11:01 – 32 minutes
12:01 – 28 minutes
13:01 – 29 minutes
14:01 – 31 minutes
15:01 – 34 minutes
16:01 – 32 minutes
17:01 – 36 minutes
18:01 – 28 minutes
19:01 – 27 minutes
20:01 – 29 minutes
20:31 – 9 minutes
21:31 – 11 minutes
22:10 – 14 minutes
22:40 – 10 minutes
23:08 – 9 minutes

As above, this is over 8 hours of idling trains in a single day. How many cars does that put back on the road, like-for-like?

I resent, as a taxpayer, that this subsidised service results in a train operator polluting the village of Severn Beach with little to no regulation.

Mike"

Is this a problem elsewhere?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2024, 12:25:21 »

‘Revving’ of engines would only usually occur when the compressor speed up in enabled to quickly build up air…when it’s been lost due to the engines being shut down!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2024, 12:45:59 »

Is this a problem elsewhere?

It's unusual to that degree, I suspect. The turn around at Severn Beach is unusually long - looking at St Ives, Falmouth Dock, Newquay, Looe, Gunnislake, Exmouth, Okehampton, Barnstaple, Henley, Marlow, Windsor, Greenford the are all just a few minutes to keep that valuable train set running. Swindon used to have a long layover on the Cheltenham Spa services when they were alternate Sprinter and HST (High Speed Train) services, but they typically were shut down there.   Not a terminus as such, but there is an issue at times with trains terminating at Westbury.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2024, 16:33:33 »

Paignton used to have this problem as you were slowly being gassed on the platform but nowadays they usually turn the engine off. Perhaps they are more confident the engine will restart.
I've seem the driver go to the toilets to get water to fill a water cap that was platform side of a 143.
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2024, 08:29:29 »

Noting that shutting down the engine means the heating turns off, which is not ideal at this time of year.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2024, 11:07:11 »

I think what might happen is GWR (Great Western Railway) will reduce the amount of services going to the beach with a bus replacement  service.

If that happens,blame the complainer.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2024, 13:38:02 »

It's unusual to that degree, I suspect. The turn around at Severn Beach is unusually long - looking at St Ives, Falmouth Dock, Newquay, Looe, Gunnislake, Exmouth, Okehampton, Barnstaple, Henley, Marlow, Windsor, Greenford the are all just a few minutes to keep that valuable train set running. Swindon used to have a long layover on the Cheltenham Spa services when they were alternate Sprinter and HST (High Speed Train) services, but they typically were shut down there.   Not a terminus as such, but there is an issue at times with trains terminating at Westbury.

The long layover seems to be a by-product of a regular service on a line with a long stretch of single track at the end, meshing with other trains terminating at an earlier station. An example is the train from Weston arriving at SVB at 1223. From Avonmouth, it has a 10-minute stretch to Severn Beach, giving something like a 25 minute minimum time before getting back to where it can cross with other trains. Meanwhile, Avonmouth enjoys another service arriving 1239, departing 1246. The 1223 arrival at SVB waits until 1301 before setting off again, passing the next inbound train from WSM at Avonmouth.

The obvious easy solution would be to terminate that service at Avonmouth. The next best would be to get the driver to shut down the engine, but as pointed out above, this involves a cold train and a nervous start-up. Option 3 is redouble the track so a 20-minute clockface service can operate and option 4 would be electrification, neither of which will happen quickly.

So - diesel fumes and noise, or a cut in a hard-won frequency of a MetroWest route.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2024, 14:18:28 »

So, signalling chums: would it be possible to tweak the signals or rules so that trains could pull about 500m out of the station after dropping off passengers, and then reverse back in for the next service?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2024, 18:25:19 »

Its a good thought,but I can see passengers making a long walk up to the train at the "far end"

and when the passenger gets to the train it moves off to the stop blocks end.
FarWestJohn

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2024, 18:35:58 »

At Penryn when the locals complained about the noise from trains waiting to pass on the single line they built a huge great wooden fence/wall to protect the houses.
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2024, 12:03:42 »

So, signalling chums: would it be possible to tweak the signals or rules so that trains could pull about 500m out of the station after dropping off passengers, and then reverse back in for the next service?

That would very much depend on local circumstances.  At the end of a dead-end single-line branch, like Looe or Barnstaple, then yes, probably.  Where there are fixed signals and complications of "wrong" direction moves, far less easy
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2024, 15:28:54 »

That would very much depend on local circumstances.  At the end of a dead-end single-line branch, like Looe or Barnstaple, then yes, probably.  Where there are fixed signals and complications of "wrong" direction moves, far less easy

Not sure how Severn Beach fits in to that with "The bins" coming up the single track and shunting into the power plant; they can just about be seen from the platform at Severn Beach.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2024, 15:52:17 »

Not sure how Severn Beach fits in to that with "The bins" coming up the single track and shunting into the power plant; they can just about be seen from the platform at Severn Beach.

It's been a long time since I was there, but I don't think Severn Beach is a dead-end is it?  I need to refresh my knowledge.  I'll look at some track plans
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2024, 16:03:14 »

It's been a long time since I was there, but I don't think Severn Beach is a dead-end is it?  I need to refresh my knowledge.  I'll look at some track plans

The curve/chord linking Severn Beach Station to the main line at Pilning was ripped up and built over, in part at least, a fair few years ago.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2024, 16:25:54 »

‘Revving’ of engines would only usually occur when the compressor speed up in enabled to quickly build up air…when it’s been lost due to the engines being shut down!

And restarting the engines and hitting the compressor speed up probably doesn’t do the engines much good either.
During the hours of darkness shutting the engines down could result in the saloon lighting going out.

Whatever you do though, don’t tell Mike we keep an engine on a HST (High Speed Train) running all night! 
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: