12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
18:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 13:51:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[97] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: TransWilts CIC appoints new chair  (Read 334 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2024, 14:03:31 »

https://transwilts.org/2024/03/13/welcome-to-our-new-chair-paddy-bradley/

The TransWilts CIC (Community Interest Company ) is delighted to announce the appointment of Paddy Bradley as its new Chair.  He succeeds Paul Johnson, who retired last year.

Paddy, who turned 70 last month, brings a wealth of experience to the role.  He spent seven years as CEO (Chief Executive Officer) at the Swindon and Wiltshire Local Enterprise partnership before standing down last summer.  Before that he had senior roles at Swindon Borough Council and Portsmouth City Council and spent 20 years in the education sector as a teacher, headteacher and inspector.   He lives in Salisbury and was appointed an MBE for services to the local economy in the 2023 New Year’s Honours List.

As he takes up his role Paddy said “I am delighted and honoured to take on the role of Chair of TransWilts.  I do appreciate the confidence the Directors have in me, and I will do my utmost to secure the further development of the organisation.

I would like to record my deep appreciation for the leadership of Paul Johnson, the previous Chair, who I did work with through my involvement with the Swindon and Wiltshire Local Enterprise Partnership.  The drive and ambition of members and the enthusiasm of Sophie Martin are great to see as an incoming Chair.“
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2024, 08:55:49 »

I have just had a look at Companies House to see who's on the board of directors at the TransWilts Community Interest Company that runs the Community Rail Partnership these days:
Patrick Bradley - "Retired" (from Swindon and Wilshire LEP» (Local Enterprise Partnership - about) and Swindon Council)
Richard Gamble - "Councillor" (Wiltshire, retired)
Dan Okey - "Regional Development Manager" (GWR (Great Western Railway) / First Group)
William Parks - "Councillor" (Wiltshire)
Horace Prickett - "Councillor" (Wiltshire)
Tamara Reay - "Councillor" (Wiltshire)
I know three of them, two very well, and they have been such excellent support over the years and I look forward to them continuing to do so.

But I worry about the lack of "ordinary community members" running the CRP (Community Rail Partnership). People who use the train reguarly, people who live in communties served by the line, and people who are not (by their own declaration of job role) from local government or the train operator.   Companies house lists the following extra jor roles for former directors (* - resigned last month):
"Membership Business Advisor"
* "Photographer"
"IT Trainer"
"None"
"Accountant"
"Community Rail Officer"
"Community Consultant"
* "Certified Accountant"
"Consultant"

As he takes up his role Paddy said “I am delighted and honoured to take on the role of Chair of TransWilts.  I do appreciate the confidence the Directors have in me, and I will do my utmost to secure the further development of the organisation."

I look forward to the further development of the organisation too, and would like to see it going further - to the further developement and support of the apppropriate train service from Swindon to Westbury, the stations and communities along the line, and the service extensions and connections beyond the line itself.  I spoke at the 10th anniversary of the improved service - see http://grahamellis.uk/lib/tenyearson.pdf and http://www.passenger.chat/28245 and have offered my help - from last Decmeber:

Ladies and Gentlemen,

It was good to see so many of you at last Friday's celebration of ten years of the rejuvenated train services from Swindon to Westbury on the TransWilts line, and hear Horace, Tamara, and Joe from Great Western all speak so strongly in support - Thank You. Please find attached (and it's online at http://grahamellis.uk/lib/tenyearson.pdf too) a copy of what I said- thanks to so many, many people including yourselves.

So much has been achieved in the last decade but yet so much remains to be done. It is good to much of that is encouraged through the local plan, and we hope by the next version of the local transport plan too, though it has to be said that the national picture is not kind to rail at the moment, which is struggling. I understand that the Community Rail Partnership is seeking a new chair, and look forward to learning how that's to be taken forward - please let me know if I can help there.

It's wonderful to go down to Melksham station and see people gathering whenever a train is due, and to see crowds walking away from the station after it arrives. We know from several different analyses that a reliable and more frequent service will make each train yet busier. Bus connections, better walking access, car parking sorted out, and house building just across the track will further boost passenger numbers. Now that I'm retired from my day job, I look forward to working with partners and friend see this continued growth at stations up and down the line.

Graham

So far - just a polite acknowledgement from one of the Wiltshire Council folks, but here I am noting in public my continued desire to support the line, service, use and connections.  There is no "absolute" that the organisation needs independent community directors - that's a side issue.  But it (or a viable alternative) do need to step in and provide community support for our railway for the mutual benefit of the community, the operator and the local authority.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 09:34:55 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: