27/04/24 15:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
17:43 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
18:12 Salisbury to Cheltenham Spa
18:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
19:13 Salisbury to Worcester Shrub Hill
Delayed
11:12 Salisbury to Worcester Foregate Street
15:59 Cardiff Central to Taunton
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 20:57 Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 12:00:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[97] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024  (Read 2101 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 15, 2024, 09:08:33 »

Briefing from GWR (Great Western Railway) yesterday afternoon on their "Central Area" train services which includes Swindon and Wiltshire

* There are a couple of extra trains at peak times from London Paddington to Bristol Parkway, formed of 8 carriages of electric multiple units and calling at the intermediate stations the current trains serve.  The current trains will then call at fewer places

* The 10:04 (?) Paddington to Penzance will now leave at 10:02 and be superfast too, with a 10:04 train following and serving places like Reading, Taunton and Newton Abbott.  UPDATE - I added (?) for a reason - it's the train two hours later ... 12:03 super fast and 12:05 relief.

* There is a swap of a couple of the early morning Plymouth to London services between 9 and 5 car sets to match the loading more closely

* From mid September to mid December, a Saturday service will run from Bristol to Oxford (2 round trips), not calling at Didcot.

* Cross Country are not running to Newquay this summer, and GWR will run an extra round trip on the branch from Par on Saturdays to fill the gap.

* Sunday Looe branch services will resume in April

* For the next six Christmases, Paddington will be closed with stoppages between 2 and 18 days. GWR will be running some services (during the longer closures?) into an alternative terminal.  Not confirming which one yet

* Westbury will be shut for 30 days from the end of traffic on Christmas Eve this year (2024). I will start a separate thread on that.

* There is a 2 week plus stoppage of the Severn Tunnel for track works in July. Passengers are to be encouraged to reroute via Gloucester, and London to South Wales services will be routed that way.  For those who prefer, rail replacement buses will be provided but the emphasis will not be on having people use them; this should help alleviate supply problems as have been previously experienced (cynically, also cheaper to put people on the local train to Gloucester aand change there)

Early draft timetables for the next couple of changes have been provided to inform those of us at the meeting, but they are neither final 100% nor for general public release at the moment.  Significnatly, they cover only what GWR designate as main lines for their operational purposes and do not include Portsouth to Cardiff.

As ever - big THANK YOU to GWR for providing this briefing. Much appreciated.  That said, over the years the sessions have morphed from being interactive discussions into presentations followed by Q&A sessions, and there is now a need IMHO (in my humble opinion) to provide an interactive local level in the space vacated.

Footnote - I missed the engineering presentation at the start of the session as I was transferring from a train to a hotel and then fighting Microsoft Teams which had me trying to prove I was human - a difficult thing to do after a long train journey.   Some other members were at the meeting - please add pertinent points
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 10:59:13 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
The Tall Controller

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2024, 10:18:49 »

It's the 1203 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-PNZ service which is having a relief service provided for it  Smiley

It'll run non-stop from Paddington to Exeter St Davids (to pick up only) then non-stop to Plymouth before all the usual stops in Cornwall.

It's relief service departs at 1205 stopping at Reading (to pick up only), Taunton, Exeter St Davids, Newton Abbot, Totnes and Plymouth.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2024, 11:00:15 »

It's the 1203 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-PNZ service which is having a relief service provided for it  Smiley

Thanks - I have updated my post to correct it.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2024, 15:48:05 »

Kind of related, I found this Rail Express interview with Mark Hopwood on the future of GWR (Great Western Railway). It covers all sorts of things from electrification to battery power to the Night Riviera, so it may already be posted somewhere, so I shan't quote. It's a very good read, although I suggest selecting the bits with a dark background with the mouse to better read them.

Now, please!
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2024, 21:09:30 »

It'll run non-stop from Paddington to Exeter St Davids (to pick up only) then non-stop to Plymouth before all the usual stops in Cornwall.

It's relief service departs at 1205 stopping at Reading (to pick up only), Taunton, Exeter St Davids, Newton Abbot, Totnes and Plymouth.

A welcome addition, but I fail to see how the 'pick up only' requirement will be policed. Yes, I know that the stops will not be announced on the screens at Paddington, but this currently happens for all Friday afternoon services to the far west and yet there are always plenty of folk alighting at Reading.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2024, 22:12:39 »

A welcome addition, but I fail to see how the 'pick up only' requirement will be policed. Yes, I know that the stops will not be announced on the screens at Paddington, but this currently happens for all Friday afternoon services to the far west and yet there are always plenty of folk alighting at Reading.

It's never policed or enforced.

Probably less of an issue at lunchtime though.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2024, 22:30:25 »

It is an effective policy in that it lessens the number of people for Reading quite significantly on what there would be otherwise.

The 2h 51m journey time to Plymouth is nice to see for those calling for faster trains.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2024, 07:03:45 »

It is an effective policy in that it lessens the number of people for Reading quite significantly on what there would be otherwise.

The 2h 51m journey time to Plymouth is nice to see for those calling for faster trains.

Indeed.  And there are plenty of other trains from London to Reading, and there's the relief a couple of minutes behind to Exeter.  The only flows lost / changed by more than a few minutes are Reading, Taunton, Exeter, Newton Abbott and Totnes to stations beyond Plymouth.  Plenty of other direct journeys for these - just not that particular hour.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2024, 07:26:11 »

That assertion will bring a wry smile to the face of anyone who's travelled on the 1904 Plymouth service on a Friday!  Smiley

As I said, less of an issue at midday without the commuters.

The faster journey time to Plymouth is welcome however likely to be temporary until work starts in earnest at Old Oak Common on the Acton-Solihull express.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2024, 11:17:26 »

Considering the difficult they are currently experiencing, and have done so for a while, in providing enough sets to cover the diagrams, one wonders how often the 1203 will be cancelled with passengers put onto the 1205?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2024, 11:25:33 »

That assertion will bring a wry smile to the face of anyone who's travelled on the 1904 Plymouth service on a Friday!  Smiley

In your experience has that been a problem in the last four years since COVID?  I only ask as I specifically took a look at it on a couple of Friday evenings last year and there was a decent amount of room on board for a train that time of day, and only a handful of people alighting at Reading - though happy to be corrected if that's not usually the case?

The faster journey time to Plymouth is welcome however likely to be temporary until work starts in earnest at Old Oak Common on the Acton-Solihull express.

You've lost me there.  Can you elaborate?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2024, 11:52:33 »

Our local media have been highlighting the probable delays with the Old Oak HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) Interchange building.
Also talk from said media that West Country trains could be sent into Euston to avoid the delays and possible bus replacement or shuttle replacement into Paddington.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2024, 12:49:04 »

Our local media have been highlighting the probable delays with the Old Oak HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) Interchange building.
Also talk from said media that West Country trains could be sent into Euston to avoid the delays and possible bus replacement or shuttle replacement into Paddington.

For example Plymouth Live yesterday, with a local MP (Member of Parliament) playing the "we in the SW are always victims" card again:
Rail passengers in the South West could face a "decade of disruption" because of the Government's 'hidden' plans to build a new High Speed 2 rail station alongside the Great Western mainline in west London, a Plymouth MP has claimed.

In a letter to the Secretary of State for Transport Mark Harper MP, Plymouth Sutton and Devonport MP Luke Pollard has claimed the government’s plan to build the station at Old Oak Common for High Speed 2 services would result in disruption and longer journeys for passengers travelling from the South West to the capital on the Great Western line.

Mr Pollard also warned that the construction of Old Oak Common would inevitably involve a large number of weekend closures of the line between Reading and London Paddington which would "significantly damage the rail service" to the South West and Wales - and asked if the Government had not made the potential damage known publicly ahead of a General Election.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 13:49:59 by stuving » Logged
Hafren

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2024, 13:21:25 »

* There are a couple of extra trains at peak times from London Paddington to Bristol Parkway, formed of 8 carriages of electric multiple units and calling at the intermediate stations the current trains serve.  The current trains will then call at fewer places

The benefits of this go well beyond a quicker journey. I've just checked RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) and the 16:18 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-SWA» (Swansea - next trains) being 'superfast' gives it a much better path:

• It leaves CDF» (Cardiff - next trains) before the stoppers that is current follows, giving it much better timings west of CDF, along with avoiding the performance risk associated with delays to those stoppers. (OTOH (On The Other Hand) if it is 10 mins late it could still be stuck behind them)
• It will go through to CMN, replacing the 1548 through journey. In fact the SWA-CMN part of the journey is in the same path, as the 1548 had a half-hour wait at SWA, so a much quicker through journey. The 1548 also runs close to a Milford Haven service, so it is in a way pointless except for those who really wanted the through train, as the quickest option for CMN is to transfer to the Milford.
• It's currently booked a 5 car, and I assume that won't be changing as the CMN leg doesn't show a split on RTT (assuming it's correct). It's usually fine west of CDF that side of 6pm but removing the RDG(resolve) & SWI» (Swindon - next trains) stops would probably help with loading on the busier part of the journey.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2024, 15:19:34 »

For example Plymouth Live yesterday, with a local MP (Member of Parliament) playing the "we in the SW are always victims" card again:
Rail passengers in the South West could face a "decade of disruption" because of the Government's 'hidden' plans to build a new High Speed 2 rail station alongside the Great Western mainline in west London, a Plymouth MP has claimed.

In a letter to the Secretary of State for Transport Mark Harper MP, Plymouth Sutton and Devonport MP Luke Pollard has claimed the government’s plan to build the station at Old Oak Common for High Speed 2 services would result in disruption and longer journeys for passengers travelling from the South West to the capital on the Great Western line.

Mr Pollard also warned that the construction of Old Oak Common would inevitably involve a large number of weekend closures of the line between Reading and London Paddington which would "significantly damage the rail service" to the South West and Wales - and asked if the Government had not made the potential damage known publicly ahead of a General Election.

I believe it's known as "representing his constituents"......MPs used to do it quite a lot.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: