27/04/24 15:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
17:43 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
18:12 Salisbury to Cheltenham Spa
18:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
19:13 Salisbury to Worcester Shrub Hill
Delayed
11:12 Salisbury to Worcester Foregate Street
15:59 Cardiff Central to Taunton
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 20:57 Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 12:04:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[97] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Who needs a travel agent these days?  (Read 1191 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 25, 2024, 15:52:59 »

I want to travel on Thursday from Melksham to Nordhausen - and I can ask on Rail Europe.  Does all the working out for me - 10:02 from Melksham arrive at Nordhausen the next morning at 06:18 ready for a Good Friday (on the Hartz).   But wait a moment - my rail pass (*) does not apply to the whole journey and I'm being quoted 476.40 Euros. And that's with an 01:00 to 04:53 change of trains at Halle.  Not appetising or affordable.  But I can book, skill-less, myself.

Let' try it a bit different. I can do it for 529.40 Euros on the 08:02 and arrive at Nordhausen at 23:38. Again, my rail pass does not apply?

* - Rail Pass - 3 month Interrail Global 1st Class issued in the UK (United Kingdom), with both home country day already used up.  The pass "only" cost me 721.00 Euros - a bargain compared to the options above.  I hold a UK senior railcard, and can leave home on the Wednesday Afternoon should I wish to do so.

So what if I employ the knowledge a travel agent would have?

Single, Melksham to Southampton - £19.70
Single, Southampton to Newhaven Town - £13.50
Single, Newhaven to Dieppe - £31.00; sleep on boat, 6 hours, recliner chair
on pass to Rouen and then to Paris
Metro fare, St Lazare to Est - 2.50 euros
on pass but resevation needed to Luxerbourg - 9.00 euros
on pass to Koblenz
on pass to Limburg
on pass to Giessen - arrive 19:38
Hotel - £58.00
on pass next morning to Nordhausen arrive 09:33
Steam train leaves, 10:33 ;-)

Total - £122.20 + 11.50 euros = about 164 euros. Including a good night in a hotel.

Somehow, I feel a sense of achievement ... starting with my £33.20 Melksham to Newhaven when the cheapest off peak single is £82.10 (£54.20 with a railcard) and continuing with my travel via Luxemburg at 9 euros which contrasts to the 34 euros "reservation fee" that was wanted for the Paris to Cologne direct train.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2024, 17:19:42 »

Enjoy the Harz.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2024, 19:52:23 »

Gute Reise!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2024, 06:05:09 »

Adding to my original post - I have split my booking via the following sites.

Interreail
- booked via https://www.interrail.eu/en

UK (United Kingdom) Rail tickets
- to be booked via https://www.gwr.com

Ferry tickets
- booked via https://www.dfds.com/en

Cross Paris metro ticket
- to be bought in person at St Lazare

Train seat reservation from Paris
- booked via https://www.raileurope.com

Hotel
- booked via https://www.booking.com/

To newcomers to this international rail travel world, the above may already read complex, but the research to decide which sites and which products are needed and where they are on those sites is phenomenal.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
DR7835

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2024, 17:05:23 »

Adding to my original post - I have split my booking via the following sites.

Interreail
- booked via https://www.interrail.eu/en

From past experience I would advise booking Interrail tickets at
https://www.myinterrail.co.uk/
assuming that you are booking from with the UK (United Kingdom) of course.
The passes on are exactly the same as those offered by the .eu site, including the special offers when available.
The only difference is that the pass numbers have different prefix to denote that they are issued in the UK.

The reason for using the myinterrail site is that they have UK based contact points, including by 'phone, for enquires and most importantly, if you have any difficulties with the pass (e.g. incorrect details shown).  See https://www.myinterrail.co.uk/help/contact-us/

The .eu website however does not provide any  'phone contact and relies on a chatbot, a "community forum" or webpage forms.  See https://www.interrail.eu/en/support#contact-us
These can all be excruciatingly slow to respond as I found on one occasion when an error on an issued pass was only corrected on the afternoon before I was due to travel, despite having raised the issue several weeks beforehand!

The UK based "myinterrail" will not deal with enquiries relating to "interrail.eu" issued passes and vice-versa.

Dave
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: