Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:51 Evesham to Oxford
Short Run
16:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
16:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Delayed
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:23 Par to Newquay
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 18:27:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[144] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[100] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[88] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[78] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[53] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?  (Read 1623 times)
CyclingSid

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2024, 12:11:32 »

This happening in a train or bus doesn't really bear thinking about https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-london-68744317
E-bike and e-scooter fires are the fastest-growing fire risk in London: statistics indicate there have been at least 40 this year.
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2024, 13:31:11 »

Is it?

The failure of the government to legislate the type of personal e-vehicles

• e-Scooters - low speed, no helmet needed (15kmH
  • e-Scooters - higher speed, helmet needed ( 25kmH)
  • e-bikes - Cycle assist, helmet needed (25kmH)
  • e-bikes - Cycle assist, helmet needed (35kmH)
  • e-Bikes - Throttle control, helmet needed (35kmH)
  • etc

and the quality of batteries for Scooters/Bikes, with certified Battery Management Systems is probably a big cause of this.

The number of times I see high speed eScooters in Bristol is alarming, and the lack of wearing helmets!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2024, 13:41:28 »

The likes of Just Eat and Deliveroo need coming down on hard as their riders routinely use illegally modified e-bikes without helmets and lights at far too high speeds.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2024, 15:20:03 »

The likes of Just Eat and Deliveroo need coming down on hard as their riders routinely use illegally modified e-bikes without helmets and lights at far too high speeds.

The likes of Just Eat and Deliveroo will just say not our problem, they "employ" a person to deliver stuff, the means by which that that person achieves the delivery is that persons

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2024, 16:38:07 »

The likes of Just Eat and Deliveroo will just say not our problem, they "employ" a person to deliver stuff, the means by which that that person achieves the delivery is that persons

It makes me wonder what stance the likes of Deliveroo and Just Eat have to their logos being emblazoned on illegally modified delivery e-bikes.  They give the impression of being pretty indifferent about it.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2024, 20:13:26 »

That’s quite right, which is why I said they need coming down on hard - with new employment laws if necessary.  That sort of thing is easy now we’ve left the EU» (European Union - about) isn’t it?!  Roll Eyes  I don’t blame the riders themselves on bit.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2024, 20:36:01 »

I do - well, over the illegal ones.

The riders/owners are fully aware that they don't meet regulations yet they take the risk. No one else should be affected by a failure.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2024, 23:37:55 »

IMHO (in my humble opinion), the rules need simplifying and then enforcing. I am in principle in favour of lightweight and relatively cheap electrically powered or electrically assisted vehicles. The carbon emissions are minimal as is the wear on roads and the road space taken up.
 The foolhardy  way in which many such machines are operated is a serious cause for concern, as are the number of dangerously modified vehicles.

I would suggest the following.

Type 1, pedal powered with battery assistance, and a maximum speed under battery power of 15 MPH. Treat as pedal cycles with no requirement for a helmet, formal training, or insurance. Maximum weight 35 kilos. No age limit.

Type 2, battery powered, with or without pedal assistance, maximum speed 30 MPH. Treat as petrol mopeds, moped licence needed. Helmet required and also insurance. Maximum weight 100 kilos. Rider must be at least 14.

Type 3, no limit on speed or weight. Treat as any other motorcycle full motorcycle licence and insurance required and a helmet.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2024, 09:10:47 »

I agree with most of this. Currently the law does not reflect the technology/transport opportunities eScooters/eBikes provide. The UK (United Kingdom) government should license more types of these, and demand insurance and MOTs (for eScooters/eBikes).

On a daily basis I see dangerously fast eScooters/eBikes (Bristol !!!) ridden by people without helmets and protective clothes.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2024, 09:14:53 »

Said batteries need regulating too....
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2024, 14:27:16 »

Said batteries need regulating too....

In theory, I agree, but probably impossible in practice.
My proposed simplified regulations would be easy for the police or other authority to enforce. But how is a police officer to determine the difference between a safe battery and a dangerous one ? or between a correctly charged battery and a dangerously overcharged one ?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2024, 14:34:18 »

They have to be banned unless regulation-use batteries are used, simple.
Registration maybe required as someone will die otherwise from use of unregulated battery explosion
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2024, 15:15:28 »

Registration maybe required as someone will die otherwise from use of unregulated battery explosion

These batteries are invariably imported from places of doubtful reputation. The makers will apply whatever approval marks or certificates that are required for the intended market. including CE marking, UL listed, or any other standard.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2024, 15:57:22 »

These batteries are invariably imported from places of doubtful reputation. The makers will apply whatever approval marks or certificates that are required for the intended market. including CE marking, UL listed, or any other standard.

Better regulation and clearer laws will no doubt help - the current free-for-all cannot continue. 

If you pass laws that make JustEat and the like directly responsible for ensuring their riders use proper equipment (perhaps by supplying it, or offering incentive schemes through approved retailers) and don't break the law then that will help enormously IMHO (in my humble opinion).  Forcing them to provide proper contracts of employment rather than treating them as contractors and letting them get on with sourcing their own bikes and (lack of) equipment will also help.  Being paid per delivery only encourages them to buy unsuitable equipment and ride it irresponsibly.

It might end up making their businesses unviable which is tough.

CyclingSid

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2024, 07:00:05 »

I must admit that my initial concern was that it appeared that the bike was about three steps from being able to board a train. Had it done so the result would not have been so photogenic.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: