06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
29/04/24 21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 00:36:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[120] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[90] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[77] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[76] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Broadgage unwell.
[49] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Train swap from Crosscountry Trains  (Read 502 times)
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2024, 11:41:35 »

Allows the traveller to switch an advance ticket on one train to a different train that has capacity - but on that journey a rice bowl has to be filled. Would it be good if the rice bowl belonged to the railway, and would it be even better if the national ticketing system handled the task in house with the cost wrapped into the initial advance booking payment.

Mark

https://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/special-offers/our-offers/train-swap
Ralph Ayres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2024, 15:39:36 »

Rice bowl? Not a term I'm familiar with and Google was no help!

Looks like you have to pay an admin fee, any new seat availability is subject to demand and I'm guessing the price may be more anyway.  Doesn't all that already exist?

Annoying use of terminology in the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) about tickets not working automatic gates. Apparently I've got to talk to a "colleague" at the station, which is unhelpful if I'm not travelling with anyone I work with!  In practice it won't even be one of their own staff as Cross-Country don't run any stations, so it's not even their colleague.
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2024, 16:02:32 »

Thinking about it, I'm hoping the 'Rice bowl' phrase isn't racist - I intended it to reference systems in which, in order to get a simple task done, it's necessary to fork out for a series of other tasks that can be somewhat distant/irrelevant to the primary but which generate space for a galaxy of people to make a living. It's not ok to throw that shade at parts of the world where rice is a staple of the diet though. It's easy to suspect that all societies might tend to evolve such practices though.

Mark
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2024, 16:18:22 »

I changed an advance ticket with GWR (Great Western Railway) yesterday - senior moment. booked wrong date. A simple process and a reasonable charge. It helped that I had booked on line so could access the original booking.

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2024, 17:37:19 »

I changed an advance ticket with GWR (Great Western Railway) yesterday - senior moment. booked wrong date. A simple process and a reasonable charge. It helped that I had booked on line so could access the original booking.

I wonder how much it costs GWR to change the booking, compared to how much they charged you?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2024, 11:38:59 »

... would it be good if the rice bowl belonged to the railway, and would it be even better if the national ticketing system handled the task in house with the cost wrapped into the initial advance booking payment.

Hmmm ... if you add flexibility to advance purchase "this train only" tickets, are you not encouraging people to move away from the more expensive flexible tickets, to the detriment of the overall rail industry income?   There's an argument for selling "this train only" tickets to provide more economic travel to people who can go at unpopular times, but you start adding change options on to that and it gets confused. 

I noted this in the publicity:

The power is in your hands. Swap the original departure time of your CrossCountry Advance train ticket, to one on the same day, that better suits your new plans. Swaps are open one day in advance and up to 15 minutes before departure, just ‘Swap & Go’. You can head home early, or stick around until closing time, it’s up to you. With Train Swap, you’re always in control of your journey.

It talks about it being CrossCountry, and perhaps they run trains up until closing time - but that still wouldn't work for me on a GWR (Great Western Railway) advance / swapped ticket if I stuck around in London until closing time ... last train 21:30 which is much much better than it was, but I'm not in control ... can't get home like apparently I could with Cross Country  Cheesy

« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 11:46:09 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: