Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
09:23 Swansea to London Paddington
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:20 Paignton to Exmouth
11:54 Newbury to London Paddington
12:11 Newbury to Reading
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 12:17:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[65] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[54] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] Cornish delays
[13] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[13] access for all at Devon stations report

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW Exeter Promotion  (Read 6233 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: May 29, 2008, 09:37:50 »

A promotion for people from Exeter is currently on the FGW (First Great Western) Website offering a free return ticket from either Exeter St Davids or Exeter Central to several destinations in Devon and Cornwall (link below.)
http://www.iworkforfgw.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=104&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 09:49:42 »

Interesting. Wouldn't say passenger numbers were lacking though!
signalandtelegraph
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 08:47:59 »

From Exeter's Express and Echo 14th June

TRAIN FIRM 'ACCIDENTALLY' OFFERED FREE TICKETS
BY JOANNE COCHRANE

11:40 - 14 June 2008

Rail bosses have been forced to withdraw an offer which could have seen thousands of people travel for free on the rails this summer.

An offer on the First Great Western website stated that customers could apply for a free return ticket from either Exeter St David's or Exeter Central to a number of destinations in Devon.

But the trial was never intended to be made to the general public - just a select target group identified by Exeter City Council's travel plan department.

But it somehow made it onto publicly-accessible areas of the rail operator's website. Dozens of emails about the offer were circulated and hundreds of people tried to access it.

One of them, an administrator at Exeter College, has now called the offer "misleading".

She said: "When I read about the offer I emailed it to one of my colleagues and she contacted First Great Western. They told her they didn't know anything about it.

"Lots of schools could benefit from something like this. We often take groups out. It's too good an offer to miss.

"It's very misleading."

A spokesman for First Great Western said: "The offer was never meant to be made to the general public.

"Our marketing department was working with Exeter City Council and its travel plan department. They were contacting a target group of people to try and get them to look at alternatives to car travel.

"Each submitted application had to be authorised by our marketing department. It was supposed to be password protected. The form should have been hidden.

"We've now had to pull out of the scheme."

The stations included in the offer were Dawlish Warren, Dawlish, Teignmouth, Newton Abbot, Torquay, Paignton, Totnes, Plymouth, Digby and Sowton, Exmouth and Barnstaple.

Up to 10 adults could have travelled on one ticket, plus up to 10 toddlers and another 10 children up to 16.

The blunder is the latest in a series of woes for the train firm, which is coming under increasing pressure to improve its performance.

Figures released by the Office of Rail Regulation in March showed that First Great Western had the least punctual service in Britain and it was branded "unacceptable" by ministers.

In January, passengers were hit by above-inflation price hikes across the network, although FGW (First Great Western)'s poor performance prompted some customers to refuse to pay their fares.

The ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) is overseeing a joint performance improvement plan, developed by Network Rail and FGW, aimed at improving performance.

FGW communications director Sue Evans told the Echo: "We are going to honour all the tickets that people have already applied for. We have 438 applications."

Bring back BR (British Rail(ways))
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 09:51:07 »

Nice to see they managed to include in the info about poor performance  Roll Eyes
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 12:01:50 »

The E&E is the biggest load of french connection United Kingdom I have ever had the misfortune of reading.

The Echo were even advertising this offer without even checking the details with FGW (First Great Western):

FIRM OFFERING FREE RAIL TRAVEL

11:40 - 10 June 2008

Under fire rail firm First Great Western is trying to entice thousands of travellers on to the rails this summer by offering free train tickets.

First Great Western is giving away a free group return ticket for use on services from Exeter St David's and Exeter Central.Passengers can travel to Dawlish Warren, Dawlish, Teignmouth, Newton Abbot, Torquay, Paignton, Totnes, Plymouth, Digby and Sowton, Exmouth and Barnstaple.

Up to 10 adults can travel on one ticket, plus up to 10 toddlers and another 10 children up to 16.

The closing date for applications is August 29 and those taking up the offer must agree to allow First Great Western to keep their details on file.

However, considering they only received 438applications shows how few people must take note of the E&E (I hope)  Roll Eyes

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 08:43:17 »

The promotion was meant to be targeted at a newly built housing estate (link below.)
http://www.iworkforfgw.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=115&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 18:38:28 »

The E&E is the biggest load of french connection United Kingdom I have ever had the misfortune of reading.

The Echo were even advertising this offer without even checking the details with FGW (First Great Western):

FIRM OFFERING FREE RAIL TRAVEL

11:40 - 10 June 2008

Under fire rail firm First Great Western is trying to entice thousands of travellers on to the rails this summer by offering free train tickets.

First Great Western is giving away a free group return ticket for use on services from Exeter St David's and Exeter Central.Passengers can travel to Dawlish Warren, Dawlish, Teignmouth, Newton Abbot, Torquay, Paignton, Totnes, Plymouth, Digby and Sowton, Exmouth and Barnstaple.

Up to 10 adults can travel on one ticket, plus up to 10 toddlers and another 10 children up to 16.

The closing date for applications is August 29 and those taking up the offer must agree to allow First Great Western to keep their details on file.

However, considering they only received 438applications shows how few people must take note of the E&E (I hope)  Roll Eyes

Popularly known as the Excess and Error in this household. Only fit for wrapping chips in. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Trundling gently round the SW
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 22:09:33 »

... and, in the context of oversights  Roll Eyes :

With apologies for our slight delay in doing so, TheSprinterMeister - welcome to the Coffee Shop forum!

Chris  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 19:24:58 »

... and, in the context of oversights  Roll Eyes :

With apologies for our slight delay in doing so, TheSprinterMeister - welcome to the Coffee Shop forum!

Chris  Wink

Why thank you kind sir! Cool

I lob an intro in the appropiate section in due course!

Trundling gently round the SW
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: