29th Apr (1963)
Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 01:20:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Sparks effect  (Read 19111 times)
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 22:50:58 »

With the Valleys due to having new stock "eventually", i say wire them in there entirety so they can take electric stock.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 23:04:20 »

With the core routes having up to 6 tph it starts to look possible, but too much of the mileage will still be only 2tph max, so then you face having a mix of electric and diesel stock. However, anythings possible on the valleys.
woody

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 15:19:20 »

Electrification to Torbay would be good, it deserves a good service to London considering it has a similar population to Plymouth.
The following are mid 2005 estimates for population change for local authorities in the United Kingdom;taken from http://www.swenvo.org.uk/environment/population.asp#southwest.
  As you will see the population of Torbay UA is estimated at 132,800 while Plymouth UA is 246,000,you would have to add the entire population of Teignbridge(124,500) to that to get to Plymouth population and of course with Plymouths dormitory population from towns like Saltash/Torpoint etc taking that 246,000 to over 300,000.Hardly "similar".

devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 16:35:30 »

Not what I read anyway  Cheesy
willc

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2008, 17:14:11 »

As I noted when I started the thread, wiring to Paignton IS included in the Network Rail study.

The map published by Modern Railways clearly shows the Severn Tunnel route electrified. Clearances may be an issue, but an alternative to conventional catenary is an overhead conductor rail. There was a test in Austria a few years ago using a 2km section in a tunnel, where trains were run up to 260kmh. The swing bridge at Trowse in Norwich uses a solid rail for its 25kv supply.

As for Cardiff Valleys, Birmingham Snow Hill routes, and diesel-operated suburban routes around Leeds and Manchester, Network Rail's head of enhancement engineering told a conference discussion which the Modern Railways piece is based on that "once you've done some, then you can do the rest", eg once you've wired to Bristol, then going to Cardiff and Swansea and Plymouth becomes a more clear-cut proposition - and if you've done the really complex stuff anyway, eg Cardiff Central station, then the case for the other routes using that point is obviously strengthened.

In that respect, the fact that the approaches to Paddington are already wired for Heathrow Express, plus Crossrail extending that to Maidenhead (or even Reading) is a help in pressing the case for going further west.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 17:16:52 by willc » Logged
woody

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2008, 15:46:14 »

As early as 1836 Isambard Kingdom Brunnel surveyed a rail route between Exeter and Plymouth,crossing the Teign and Dart rivers and through the South Hams to Plymouth but Devon people at the time were not interested unfortunately.Had this happened Devons 3 main urban areas would have all been connected directly by one main line and probably a much faster one as well  benefitting all rail users west of Exeter as well as putting Torbay directly on the Paddington/Penzance route.Its a pity a new section of main line could not be created today by linking Newton Abbot/Torbay/Totnes.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2008, 17:43:47 »

As early as 1836 Isambard Kingdom Brunnel surveyed a rail route between Exeter and Plymouth,crossing the Teign and Dart rivers and through the South Hams to Plymouth but Devon people at the time were not interested unfortunately.Had this happened Devons 3 main urban areas would have all been connected directly by one main line and probably a much faster one as well  benefitting all rail users west of Exeter as well as putting Torbay directly on the Paddington/Penzance route.Its a pity a new section of main line could not be created today by linking Newton Abbot/Torbay/Totnes.

Certainly would be good - and very beneficial at that. Could then run a shuttle service from Newton Abbot - Plymouth via the normal route which doesn't have overly inspiring figures!!!

Only problem I can see if Paignton LC (Level Crossing) which would be down fairly often, causing chaos!
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 19:55:14 »

Just wait till the old salt water spray gets at the catenary around Dawlish - then you'll get a sparks effect. I'm GWR (Great Western Railway) born and bred but the old Southern route via Okehampton might have come into its own now  - as indeed might the old route round the back from Exeter to Newton Abbot via Trusham
woody

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2008, 15:30:52 »

Just wait till the old salt water spray gets at the catenary around Dawlish - then you'll get a sparks effect. I'm GWR (Great Western Railway) born and bred but the old Southern route via Okehampton might have come into its own now  - as indeed might the old route round the back from Exeter to Newton Abbot via Trusham
Of course hindsight is a wonderful thing and had we known at the time of the "Beeching" report what we now know the Southern railway route via Tavistock/Okhampton might well have survived and is still probably the only realistic option for an alternative to the current Great Western route.I understand a study just conducted by ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) has said that the re-opening the former Southern route in its entirety is "viable".Of course whether the government who hold the purse strings agree with that which I doubt, only time will tell.

Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2008, 17:21:31 »

Link regarding the ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) study.
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=2421.msg18087#msg18087

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2008, 17:59:53 »

Good news for XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) line. The electrification in B'ham is being extended 1 stop south from Barnt Green to Bromsgrove! Grin

Remember, every little helps. Next it will be to Worcester, then Gloucester, then Bristol ......
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2008, 22:01:08 »

"Good news for XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) line. The electrification in B'ham is being extended 1 stop south from Barnt Green to Bromsgrove!

Remember, every little helps. Next it will be to Worcester, then Gloucester, then Bristol ......"

And perhaps to Hereford, please, please - otherwise we'll be forgotten

swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2008, 22:26:52 »

Good news for XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) line. The electrification in B'ham is being extended 1 stop south from Barnt Green to Bromsgrove! Grin

Remember, every little helps. Next it will be to Worcester, then Gloucester, then Bristol ......

Except CrossCountry don't operate electric trains ... Wink
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2008, 20:49:06 »

THe answer is IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.)/HST2!

I take it the Voyagers will be scrapped/put off lease and new HST2/IEP trains will replace them. The idea is that they will be electric.

I mean the Voyagers have been a disaster. Halving capacity on certain routes (and halving capacity on commuter trains) should not have been allowed, and should be rectified asap!

They could be switched to secondary lines such as North to South Wales. Or preferably burnt!
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2008, 08:51:52 »

Electrification to Torbay would be good, it deserves a good service to London considering it has a similar population to Plymouth.

Far be it for me to argue, but I had always believed the population of Plymouth to be approaching 240,000, whilst that of Torbay is around the 130,000 mark.  http://www.torbay.gov.uk/appendix-b-key_statistics_for_torbay_apr.pdf

That said, the importance of Torbay as a holiday destination could well  be justification for continuing the wires from Newton Abbot.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: