Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
14:28 Hereford to London Paddington
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
11:44 London Paddington to Hereford
13:11 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
15:44 London Paddington to Great Malvern
Delayed
11:37 London Paddington to Carmarthen
13:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 15:10:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[122] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[37] access for all at Devon stations report
[36] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[16] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Cornish delays
[1] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Twyford to Henley branch line - services, timetables, incidents and improvements  (Read 88912 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2011, 17:26:46 »

What a charming picture you conjure up, insider!  Shocked Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2011, 20:03:57 »

What a charming picture you conjure up, insider!  Shocked Roll Eyes

But so true a picture I imagine... not nice...
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2011, 00:47:55 »

I don't have a problem with Reading Buses running the service just the fact they take a pop at the trains finishing early when in all probability they arent. It's just police advice keeping the services unadvertised.
hornbeam

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2011, 14:28:01 »

Reading buses are running this under contract I believe to the Regatta. They run late night services in Reading so sure they are used to it, however off topic will be interesting to see how long they last before getting sold. They get a lot of bad press which, as a passenger using them day in day out, I dont understand as copared to ' Arriva every bus is on its last legs wycome' and first they are much better.
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2011, 16:57:28 »

I stopped by Twyford station just after lunchtime today to see what was happening. I saw the 13:46 departure to Henley which left 3 minutes late from Platform 4 formed of 7 cars (from the front, 165104/122/127) and which was full and standing throughout the length of it. There were announcements to say that First Class was declassified so anyone could use it. There were a handful of Police at Twyford but they were outnumbered by FGW (First Great Western) customer help staff as well as taxi drivers waiting for custom!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2011, 20:18:21 »

I was there a couple of hours later and counted a dozen BTP (British Transport Police). There was also a FGW (First Great Western) staff briefing going on midway down platform 4 including how to signal to the driver that there's an obstruction on the track!

Interestingly Platform 2 was taped off so I assume any additonal calls by HSTs (High Speed Train) will mean trains having to cross over to the relief lines.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2011, 22:15:11 »

Hhhm.. this might not help much...

Line problem between Maidenhead and Taplow.
Train services between Maidenhead and Taplow are being disrupted due to a person hit by a train.Delays of up to 45 minutes can be expected.

Last Updated: 02/07/2011 21:59
autotank
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2012, 17:02:33 »

The new timetable is out and it is dissapointing to note that the last connecting train from London to Henley leaves 18 minutes earlier at 2227. What has happened to the 2245 Oxford stopper? The annoying thing is you leave 18 minutes earlier, but still get to Henley at 2349 as now. This will put people off using the train as it makes going to a show and getting the train back to Henley now more or less impossible. Although I don't live in Henley anymore I go back fairly frequently and a shift finishing at 2200 in Farringdon is now going to be tough to fit in.

Is this due to Crossrail improvemnets? Will we get a better later connection back in a few years or is the beginning of Henley branch passengers getting a worse service because of Crossrail?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2012, 17:39:32 »

It looks as if the 22:15 and 22:45 trains have been combined into a 22:27 departure.  This is disappointing as it also leaves large gaps in the service from Paddington to Ealing, Southall, Hayes and West Drayton of 25 minutes or so in the later part of the evening.  This also has the effect of making everyone cram onto the 21:57, 22:27 and 23:00 whilst virtually empty Heathrow Connect trains will then leave just a few minutes after.  Let's hope these three trains are strengthened appropriately to either 4, 5, or 6 carriages, or there will be severe overcrowding.  I'll keep a watching eye...

Had a Twyford stop been provided in the 22:48 Oxford service then things would have been fine, but as it is, the last Henley service becomes much less appealing.  I'd get your comments to FGW (First Great Western) and request a stop on the 22:48 ASAP and you never know, they may see sense!

Looks like from early February the relief lines will be closed weekday nights (apart from Fridays), meaning West Ealing and Hanwell miss out after 21:30. 

MAJOR RAIL IMPROVEMENT WORKS FROM FEBRUARY 2013
Our industry partner, Network Rail, are carrying out major construction works to build the new
Crossrail railway and to prepare the Great Western route for new electric trains. As part of this work,
late night train services on Mondays to Thursdays between London Paddington and Maidenhead will
have reduced frequencies, while Acton Main Line, West Ealing and Hanwell stations will have earlier
last trains. Arrangements have been made to enable passengers to use TfL» (Transport for London - about) bus services where last
services have been affected. If you are travelling on this route on Mondays to Thursdays after 2130
please allow extra time to make your journey. This work will continue throughout the validity of this
timetable - full details of these exciting projects and how they will affect your journey will be widely
available on our website and at stations.

This may be the reason for the thinning out of the 22:15 and 22:45 trains into one 22:27 departure.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2012, 18:17:00 »

Not ideal but could change twice?

22:48 change at either Slough or Maidenhead (gets you on the same 22:27 from Paddington) and then again at Twyford.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2012, 18:37:35 »

Yes, that's probably what a lot of people will do.  Hope the connection is made all the time - even if it means delaying the stopper at Slough/Maidenhead, or there will be a lot of people using the help line at Twyford wanting a taxi!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
autotank
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2012, 19:18:02 »

Is that a gauranteed connection? It isn't printed on the new timetable - http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/~/media/PDF/Timetable%20Changes/Timetables%2026-10/TT13.ashx - which indicates the last connection is the 2227. If I got the 2248 would I be entitled to a taxi if there was a delay? I assume Maidenhead would be the best place to change as it wouldn't involve a platfor change?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2012, 19:22:56 »

If I got the 2248 would I be entitled to a taxi if there was a delay? I assume Maidenhead would be the best place to change as it wouldn't involve a platfor change?

It is given as a valid connection on the National Rail website, because it allows for the minimum connection times at either Slough or Maidenhead, so that means you would be entitled to a taxi.

Maidenhead might also involve a platform change, but that's less likely to be the case than Slough.

autotank
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2012, 10:33:44 »

Good news! According the Henley Standard the 2248 Oxford service will now make an extra call at Twyford, although this doesn't appear on online journey planners yet.
Silver

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2013, 10:45:52 »

Newbie here, I thought this would be a good place to have my annual rant about FGWs (First Great Western) treatment of regular commuters during the Henley Regatta last week. 

As per previous years, FGW have upset regular commuters on the Henley branch by running a time table to suit the ^3 Regatta commuters and, in doing so, ignoring the needs of those who pay over ^4,000 a year to use the service.

The 17.06 and the 18.06 from Paddington are designed to meet the Henley connection at Twyford and are packed every day. The number of times I heard other passengers asking if the HST (High Speed Train) is being evacuated at Twyford due to the number of passengers getting off is very high. A large percentage of those passengers then get on the Henley train that is due to leave 3 minutes after the HST arrival.

Not so in Regatta week. The next Henley train is 50 minutes after the HST arrives (at 19.18 rather than 18.31) and then does not stop on route to Henley at, for example, Wargrave. This leaves Wargrave customers with the following options:

- Wait 50 minutes, travel to Henley wait for the train to turn round and then got off at Wargrave on the way back
- Get a taxi or relative to drive them from Twyford to Wargrave
- Drive to Twyford in the morning and pay ^6.10 to park.
- Walk the 30+ minutes to Wargrave.

Given the commuter service is not "fit for purpose" during the Regatta it would be good if FGW made a gesture on our ticket prices at renewal (now over ^4,000 per annum).

Every year I and many others complain to FGW, every year we are ignored.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
  Print  

Jump to: