Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:14 Plymouth to Penzance
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
20:00 Cardiff Central to Taunton
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
13:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
13:49 Penzance to Cardiff Central
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
07:48 Reading to Redhill
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 08:21:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[128] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[49] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[44] Cornish delays
[25] access for all at Devon stations report
[16] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[5] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Station usage figures  (Read 11981 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 22:35:20 »

Got some figures from an FOSBR (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways) member for Severn Beach Line stations with percentage rise/falls. Selected other Bristol suburban stations are also included :

Quote from: FOSBR (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways) member
Lawrence Hill 55865 --> 68371 = +22.4%
Stapleton Road 86997 --> 98446 = +13.2%
Montpelier 73573 --> 76969 = +4.6%
Redland 55529 --> 66852 = +20.4%
Clifton Down 153027 --> 180656 = +18.1%
Sea Mills 36411 --> 40786 = +12.0%
Shirehampton 31539 --> 38493 = +22.0%
Avonmouth 43365 --> 47834 = +10.3%
St Andrews Road 8008 --> 5518 = -31.1%
Severn Beach 37088 --> 38202 = +3.0%

Bedminster 40917 --> 43379 = +6.0%
Parson Street 14293 --> 19172 = +34.1%
Patchway 33957 --> 42463 = +25.0%
Filton Abbey Wood 401325 --> 410630 = +2.3%

Personally, I am rather sceptical on St Andrews Road. For a number of years, the figure was stable between 3000-5000. Then in the April 2005-April 2006 figures it leapt up to 8008. The 2006-2007 figures show this falling back to 5518, closer to the historical figure, with due allowance for realistic growth.

A further complication, obviously, is that a combined rail/bus service was in place throughout.

Courtesy of John R, here is a 2 year summary for the above area (link below.)
http://www.raildocuments.org.uk/gwfuture/stationtotalsummary.xls

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
John R

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 22:42:04 »

One other interesting point  - I've only checked Nailsea, but whilst overall traffic is up 24% in 2 years, season ticket sales are up 33%, which might be a better indication of rush hour growth. Or then again it might just mean that a higher proportion of commuters are buying seasons.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 23:01:22 »

Another comment (then I'm done for the night) is that combined traffic on the Severn Beach line (including the two on the main line) is up 30% in two years. Let's hope that the newly enhanced service will provide a further boost, though we'll have to wait two years to get the stats that will show any impact.   
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 09:16:45 »

I've had rough figures for a while but now the official ones are out, here are the bottom 20 stations in terms of entry/exit usage in 2006-2007.

(from bottom to top)

Tyndrum Lower
Buckenham
Coombe Halt
Golf Street
Barry Links
Denton
Sugar Loaf
Breich
Dorking West
Thorne South
Tees-side Airport
Lakenheath
Chapelton
Reddish South
Scotscalder
Elton & Orston
Falls of Cruachan
Pilning
Kirton Lindsey
Dorchester West

and now top 20 (from 20th to 1st):

Glasgow Queen Street
Reading
Manchester Piccadilly
Birmingham New Street
London Fenchurch Street
Edinburgh Waverley
Wimbledon
Leeds
Clapham Junction
East Croydon
Glasgow Central
London Cannon Street
London Kings Cross
London Euston
London Paddington
London Charing Cross
London Bridge
London Liverpool Street
London Victoria
London Waterloo

Melksham comes ... 2024th in terms of usage.

I've used Tyndrum's two stations a couple of times each.  Amazing to see theLower station on this list but not Tyndrum Upper.  Both have simialr numbers of trains and Lower is much closer to the village and does not involve climbing a steep path to get to it.  Either there is a reason here I have overlooked (perhaps the timetable favours trips to Upper?) or the useage figures should be taken with a pinch of salt.
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 10:36:29 »

Quote from: Tim
I've used Tyndrum's two stations a couple of times each.  Amazing to see theLower station on this list but not Tyndrum Upper.  Both have simialr numbers of trains and Lower is much closer to the village and does not involve climbing a steep path to get to it.  Either there is a reason here I have overlooked (perhaps the timetable favours trips to Upper?) or the useage figures should be taken with a pinch of salt.

It's probably covered by the 'Notes on Station Usage...':
For towns and cities with more than one station ^ e.g. Maidstone it is possible to buy a ticket to ^Maidstone Stations^ known as a Group Station. For such tickets, journeys are allocated to the main station of those in the group.

Since the usage of Upper Tyndrum went up last year from 128 to 7,529, while Tyndrum Lower went from 7,481 to 17 they've almost certainly reclassified Upper Tyndrum as the main station.

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
Graz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 10:41:13 »

How do they measure this usage? For example buying a ticket to Dorchester gives you a ticket that says 'Dorchester Stations' and not Dorchester West / South. I assume the same can be said for Tyndrum.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 12:26:01 »

What surprises me is tha Denton and Reddish South actually appear and are not bottom considering they have one train a week in one direction only. It must be rail enthusiasts making the TOC (Train Operating Company) run the trian. I thought it was usually a taxi.
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 12:32:27 »

How do they measure this usage? For example buying a ticket to Dorchester gives you a ticket that says 'Dorchester Stations' and not Dorchester West / South. I assume the same can be said for Tyndrum.

Assumed routeing, for instance if you had a Castle Cary - Dorchester (which isn't route Not London), you're unlikely to exit at South!

For the Tyndrums, again assumed routeing but also in line with the national passenger survey which is carried out over 2 or so weeks, and then the passengers are proportioned between the two stations.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 12:51:19 »

What surprises me is tha Denton and Reddish South actually appear and are not bottom considering they have one train a week in one direction only. It must be rail enthusiasts making the TOC (Train Operating Company) run the trian. I thought it was usually a taxi.

Related link.
http://www.andrewgwynne.labour.co.uk/b46abd47-6168-4094-21b4-913b02fc50c6

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2008, 13:29:39 »

Quote from: Tim

It's probably covered by the 'Notes on Station Usage...':
For towns and cities with more than one station ^ e.g. Maidstone it is possible to buy a ticket to ^Maidstone Stations^ known as a Group Station. For such tickets, journeys are allocated to the main station of those in the group.

Since the usage of Upper Tyndrum went up last year from 128 to 7,529, while Tyndrum Lower went from 7,481 to 17 they've almost certainly reclassified Upper Tyndrum as the main station.

That makes sense.  Thanks for the information.  Am I right in thinking that the 17 tickets to Lower Tyndrum were incorrectly issued to "Lower Tyndrum" when they should have been issued to "Tyndrum Stations"?
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2008, 15:18:08 »

More likely they were from stations such as Oban.
Graz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2008, 21:28:21 »

Assumed routeing, for instance if you had a Castle Cary - Dorchester (which isn't route Not London), you're unlikely to exit at South!

For the Tyndrums, again assumed routeing but also in line with the national passenger survey which is carried out over 2 or so weeks, and then the passengers are proportioned between the two stations.

Though from Weymouth/Upwey for instance, it could be either Wink Same goes for places like Warminster. I seriously don't believe there were that few people using Dorchester West...

On another note, nice to see Avoncliff usage up Wink
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 21:31:27 by Graz » Logged
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2008, 21:55:09 »

Though from Weymouth/Upwey for instance, it could be either Wink Same goes for places like Warminster. I seriously don't believe there were that few people using Dorchester West...

On another note, nice to see Avoncliff usage up Wink

Weymouth and Upwey it's proportional based on number of trains - obviously Dorchester South would get all the passengers on that one due to there being 2 trains per hour as opposed to about a train every 2 and a half hours it figures out to for FGW (First Great Western) (and therefore SWT (South West Trains) get all that traffic allocated to them...).
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2008, 22:17:37 »

So mine....

WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains) - fails as part of a group - foregate street scores higher but WOS has better connections - interesting

LUD is 3635th - lower than melksham!

Kidderminster - 4581 - LOWER than ludow? 

ER - think I am reading the table wrongly!

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
cheesywotsit

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2008, 01:23:57 »

Thanks SW lines. I'm now left wondering what the point/use of these stats is.

If anyone is making decisions based on these figures then they are missing something.
Personally speaking, as my local service aint exactly great I would most likely drive to
the next station yet if the local service was there I would definitely use it more.

The figures never show a "potential" or "what if"...
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: