Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningShort Run
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 05:48:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[121] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[98] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[25] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[15] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 30
  Print  
Author Topic: Dawlish Avoiding Line - ongoing discussion, merged topic  (Read 158775 times)
chopper1944

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: February 12, 2014, 17:41:19 »

I have recently reread The GWR (Great Western Railway) in the 20th Century by OS (Ordnance Survey) Nock first published in 1964.
I was aware that there was something about a Dawlish cut-off line, there is on page 142.
I quote:-
"The picturesque line along the sea wall between Dawlish and Teignmouth was becoming so crowded as to be an embarrassment,
and to provide relief, and to give non-stopping trains a clear run, a new cut-off line was proposed from Dawlish Warren direct to
Newton Abbot tunnelling under Haldon Down.
Beyond Newton Abbot a new fast-running express route was proposed to the north of the present line, by passing the extremely
awkward gradients leading to Dainton tunnel, avoiding the sharply curved approaches to Totnes, and rejoining the present line at
high level near the summit of the Rattery incline.
With an alignment and grading designed for heavy modern traffic, a great amount of time could be saved, wear and tear of locomotives
much reduced and a great deal of double-heading avoided. Unfortunately neither of these interesting by pass lines got beyond the
proposed stage"
Think of it if these lines had been built what we would now be talking about to say nothing of the time from from Paddington to Plymouth being greatly reduced.
However they were not and the need is now to repair the Dawlish line asap and to have a sensible discussion for the future.
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 12, 2014, 18:30:09 »

I rather think that proposed diversionary routes which go what is perceived to be too close to, or through, the Powderham estate of Lord Courtenay may be considered as complete non-starters.

That'd be the Lord Courtenay whose ancestor, the 10th Earl of Devon, put up a certain I. K. Brunel on the estate when he was building the South Devon Railway. And whose ancestor was one of the directors of the Bristol & Exeter and South Devon Railways.

Different peer, different times I agree. My suggestion is to tunnel under the western edge of the estate and have the line run to the west of Kenton. Although selling some land might help the current Earl of Devon's finances.

And also had his own personal station where the Powderham foot crossing is now
Kernow Otter
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 12, 2014, 18:41:25 »

I wonder what the combined folk of Teignmouth, Dawlish, Dawlish Warren and Starcross think of the concept of a 2 hourly Class 153 "hoover" being adequate for their needs?..

It is deemed suitable enough for the majority of Cornwall Mainline Services........

I can't see any two hour gaps in the normal timetable for Penzance - Plymouth, not even on a Sunday. And aren't the services not operated by HST (High Speed Train) provided by Class 150s?

Not at all mainline stations though.
exeterkiwi

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 12, 2014, 18:43:37 »

I may of missed the route option but a station for Teighnmouth could be built between tunnel 2 and 3. Both Dawlish and Dawlish Warren if the DAL was built .
The Exminster route and  Dawlish still could have a station  on the new railway line.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: February 12, 2014, 20:47:33 »

I wonder what the combined folk of Teignmouth, Dawlish, Dawlish Warren and Starcross think of the concept of a 2 hourly Class 153 "hoover" being adequate for their needs?..

It is deemed suitable enough for the majority of Cornwall Mainline Services........

I can't see any two hour gaps in the normal timetable for Penzance - Plymouth, not even on a Sunday. And aren't the services not operated by HST (High Speed Train) provided by Class 150s?

Not at all mainline stations though.

Thats very different from your original assertion though, isnt it?

The fact remains that the majority of "Cornwall Mainline Servces" are not 2-hourly, nor are the majority of "Cornwall Mainline Services" operated by a single Class 153 unit.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 13, 2014, 02:31:01 »

David Cameron, answering a question from Oliver Colvile MP (Member of Parliament) (Con. Plymouth Sutton & Devonport) spoke at Prime Minister's Question Time on 12/02/2014 (at 25:45 on the linked video) about the desire to have a 3 hour journey time between Plymouth and London.

That, I feel, can only be realistically achieved by building a DAL and possibly looking at alternative new build between Newton Abbot (Aller Junction) and Plymouth, taking out the worst of the gradients and curves over the Devon banks.

But NOT avoiding Totnes and Ivybridge.  Wink

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: February 13, 2014, 07:41:20 »

One suspects that Dave is thinking more in the hope of the current line being fixed & holding, as 3 hour Plymouth to London is perfectly possible now (in normal circumstances) - the debate has always been whether the adverse impact on service levels elsewhere would be acceptable.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 13, 2014, 11:35:27 »

There is already one service timed for 3 hours between Plymouth and London. The 0844 Penzance-London Paddington which leaves Plymouth at 1044 and arrives at London Paddington at 1344.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 13, 2014, 11:53:41 »

might London to Plymouth in 3 hours be achieved more easily by upping the speed limit on the Reading to Taunton line which is nice and straight and has few stops for the fast services but never rises about 110mph?
brooklea
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 13, 2014, 13:32:14 »

might London to Plymouth in 3 hours be achieved more easily by upping the speed limit on the Reading to Taunton line which is nice and straight and has few stops for the fast services but never rises about 110mph?
It's nice enough, but I don't think that straight is very appropriate word to describe much of the Berks and Hants line...
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 13, 2014, 13:58:06 »

It's nice enough, but I don't think that straight is very appropriate word to describe much of the Berks and Hants line...

Ok I stand corrected although it isn't /that/ curvy.  I had assumed that it was the level crossings that kept the line speed down not the curves.
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 13, 2014, 14:51:59 »

Ok I stand corrected although it isn't /that/ curvy.  I had assumed that it was the level crossings that kept the line speed down not the curves.

Gerry Fiennes once wrote that a driver said to him that he, the driver, thought that the builders of the B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury) were paid by the mile. Smiley
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #162 on: February 14, 2014, 16:08:59 »

Owner of now-closed Brentnor station can't sell

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Old-train-station-market-way-alternative-rail/story-20620746-detail/story.html
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: February 14, 2014, 16:20:06 »

At least it doesn't sound like a total disaster for him. He seems to be suggesting that he doesn't need to sell, he would just like to.

alexross42

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 14, 2014, 16:54:35 »

Both the LSWR (London South Western Railway) and GWR (Great Western Railway) had separate lines that ran through here, but one of them (the GWR I think), didn't actually run through the station - it was a few metres outside of the station boundary. (see pic: )

If the line was reinstated then it could follow this path rather than through the old platforms (can't see much justification for reinstating passenger services here). However, there would still of course be a considerable impact on the residence and it's potential for sale.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 30
  Print  

Jump to: