Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
09:23 Swansea to London Paddington
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:20 Paignton to Exmouth
11:54 Newbury to London Paddington
12:11 Newbury to Reading
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 12:19:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[65] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[54] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] Cornish delays
[13] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[13] access for all at Devon stations report

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 30
  Print  
Author Topic: Dawlish Avoiding Line - ongoing discussion, merged topic  (Read 158801 times)
woody

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2010, 09:50:16 »

XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) do have a cap and collar but typically they don't apply for the first couple of years, so theirs hasn't kicked in yet. The franchises that were stuffed when the recession hit were the most recent ones, as they were too new to benefit for C&C.
That would explain why X country are so desperate to save money now,thanks for the info.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2010, 10:14:58 »

I believe the rationale of C&Cs is that aspiring TOCs (Train Operating Company) can have more certainty in planning the first couple of years of the franchise. In other words the DafT expects them to stand by their promises.  But it's more difficult to guess the state of the economy up to 7 years in advance, so the cap and collar gives some protection in the event of the economy not growing as much as predicted.

Though as we've seen, events have shown that the economy can deteriorate very rapidly, and to some extent Nat Ex EC and XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) were unlucky in being relatively new when the downturn happened. Though they had probably already shown their true colours in terms of cost management of the franchises before the downturn happened, so don't get any sympathy from me.   
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2010, 17:33:36 »

It would not suprise me if XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) late services only go as far as Plymouth.

I can remember a conversation with a Train Manager who was telling me that when she got to Penzance, it was then a taxi back to plymouth.

So I presume to start the service from Penzance, meant a very early taxi the next morning.

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2010, 11:37:39 »

With train crew being allocated to TOCs (Train Operating Company) and not a depot, then it's taxis all the time sometimes over considerable distances when they can't return by train.

Heard from a reliable source that on one TOC Drivers and condutors travelled in separate taxis even if going back to same place. Same source quoted London Leicester as a regular run.

It's another one of the conundrums posed by the "Wolmar Question "What are TOCS for?"
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2010, 13:50:41 »

Just seen on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) news, the Exeter-Plymouth railway link is being debated in the House of Commons today.  Newton Abbot MP (Member of Parliament) is arguing that the coastal route needs to be secured, while the Devon branch of the Campaign for the Protection of Rural England are saying alternatives need to be found.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2010, 15:23:16 »

All very well various posters above speculating about whether XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) services in the west country will be cut back to Plymouth or Exeter or Taunton or Bristol or Birmingham etc etc but (subject to the caveat that I have no idea what is specified in the franchise agreement) assuming they are specified as part of the franchise then they'll still have to run. I don't see Arriva successfully renegotiating the franchise with the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) so that they can remove services they signed up to which they've now decided are operationally inconvenient.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2010, 16:59:07 »

..... I don't see Arriva successfully renegotiating the franchise with the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) so that they can remove services they signed up to which they've now decided are operationally inconvenient.

Don't see why not - others have renegotiated for their own operational convenience ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
woody

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2012, 11:00:36 »

Moderator note:
For specific discussion on the merits or otherwise of reopening the former LSWR (London South Western Railway) route between Okehampton and Tavistock please comment in the following topic: http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=2338.0

Likewise, for the merits or otherwise of building a Dawlish Avoiding Line please keep those comments here.

The two subjects are related and I did consider merging them both into one super topic, but I think there's enough of a difference to keep them separate. If your comment encompasses both routes then you're free to choose where you wish to post.

bignosemac.

A railway tunnel should be built under a hill near Exeter to divert the main line away from a vulnerable coastline route, a Devon MP (Member of Parliament) has said.
Basically a rehash of the 1937 Great Western Dawlish avoiding line which would have been completed in 1941 but for the war stopping construction.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-17188408
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 01:34:02 by bignosemac » Logged
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2012, 13:03:24 »

I fail to see how this could be viable
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2012, 13:13:09 »

Agree, tunnels are hugely expensive.
If a surface avoiding line CAN be afforded, then why has it not been built ?
If a surface avoiding line can NOT be afforded, then I cant forsee money being found for a much more expensive tunnel.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 17:53:21 by broadgage » Logged

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
exeterkiwi

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2014, 15:47:03 »

Hi

I was wondering which villages the line would of passed, when the GWR (Great Western Railway) surveyed in spring 1939

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawlish_Avoiding_Line

Guy
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 15:54:47 by exeterkiwi » Logged
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2014, 16:20:43 »

What a shame the "Great Western Railway (Additional Powers) Act 1936" only lapsed so recently

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2014, 16:22:33 »

Welcome exeterkiwi

Speaking personally, I am glad you started a new thread for this (mods may disagree). The one of the Okehampton reopening thread had strayed off topic.  Perhaps they could be moved here? Smiley

So the proposal could have an inland Dawlish Station, that would remove much of the local opposition.  
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2014, 16:25:54 »

Look what I found: http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=10433.0

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2014, 16:33:11 »

I would like to know why Network Rail's knee-jerk reaction when faced the collapsed sea wall was to immediately dismiss an alternative route. The reasons were a) cost of ^700-800 million, and b) beset with problems.

I would like to ask Network Rail a) how much was Crossrail, and b) did tunnelling under London not come with so much as a single problem?

I'm guessing the board of Network Rail live in the South-East and drive to Cornwall for their holidays...
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 30
  Print  

Jump to: