06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
29/04/24 21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 01:36:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[120] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[90] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[77] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[76] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Broadgage unwell.
[49] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25
  Print  
Author Topic: Severn Beach line - timetables, engineering work, closures, incidents (merged topics)  (Read 130287 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: December 24, 2014, 23:29:48 »

Hmm, surely any guard/driver who signs a 153 can take out a 150?

Or would their be an issue if 2 car 158 was diagrammed this evening?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
sprinterguard

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 25, 2014, 00:05:55 »

Basically, the train that was supposed to be on that Avonmouth was 'stuck' somewhere else. The inward journey for that particular train was cancelled (due to the train crew reason)... the only spare train to work the train would have been a 153.

All opinions are my own.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #332 on: December 25, 2014, 18:50:59 »

Thanks for that explanation, sprinterguard - I do see what you mean: it's just not quite what FGW (First Great Western) JourneyCheck was trying to tell us.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #333 on: December 25, 2014, 20:35:23 »

The reasons on Journey Check are often due to something that had happened much earlier and elsewhere and which had a knock-on effect, i.e. quoting the root cause.   There are often many causes quoted by TOCs (Train Operating Company) on Journey Check which can seem difficult to understand.
rich0099

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 26, 2015, 09:30:37 »

I've noticed that the trackbed is being cleared alongside the new SITA Powerstation build on Severnside.

In their planning blurb, SITA did say they were going to re-instate the Railhead - but I thought this was just a ruse to get it through planning.

I'm assuming there will be interruptions to the Severn Beach line both during engineering works and scheduling of passenger services in future?

Anyone know of any rumours/timescales?

PS... I've noticed an increasing number of Class 70's at St Andrews Rd.. there can't be that many coal-fired Powerstations left to service?!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 26, 2015, 11:05:00 »

I've noticed that the trackbed is being cleared alongside the new SITA Powerstation build on Severnside.

In their planning blurb, SITA did say they were going to re-instate the Railhead - but I thought this was just a ruse to get it through planning.

I'm assuming there will be interruptions to the Severn Beach line both during engineering works and scheduling of passenger services in future?

Anyone know of any rumours/timescales?

PS... I've noticed an increasing number of Class 70's at St Andrews Rd.. there can't be that many coal-fired Powerstations left to service?!
From SITA's website:
Delivery of the proposed Severnside energy recovery centre would make a significant contribution to providing new treatment and recovery facilities to manage commercial and industrial waste from the former Avon County Council region, along with the ability to manage residual household waste from West London that will be delivered to the facility by rail.
That sounds like it will be a planning condition.
The Secretary of State upheld the appeal on 16 September 2011. With that approval in place,      SITA UK (United Kingdom) is now constructing the Severnside energy recovery centre, which has already been granted an Environmental Permit following scrutiny from the Environment Agency. It is expected to be completed in 2016.
"Completed" might, I guess, not mean fully operating with all sources of rubbish.

Coal generates around 15 GW (Great Western) of electricity (a third of the UK total) at this time of year ... and a lot of that does come in via Avonmouth, of course.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 26, 2015, 22:42:20 »

Coal remains the largest provider of fuel in the UK (United Kingdom), according to UK Gridwatch. If the rumours about that bare-chested Russian guy shutting off  our gas are true, we had better not close any more coal stations until we have a good supply from shale gas, and have built Hinkley C, D, E, and F.

Addendum (having read Stuving's post more closely, and risking relegation to the Pedant's thread):

I'm not aware that much, if any, any coal comes in via Avonmouth, at least not by sea. Royal Portbury Dock is the major portal. A lot is transported from RPD to the coal depot at St Andrews Road via the under-Avon conveyor belt for loading, so a lot of coal leaves Avonmouth. Whether this is because of capacity or routing, I don't know. Coal still comes along the south bank of the Avon in quantity as well.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 14:09:40 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 12, 2015, 23:53:26 »

Looks like FOSBR (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways) are holding a little 7th Aniversary Event of the increased services on the Severn Beach Line on 15 May by the Coffee Trike at Redland Station around 11.00 - 11.30. There a few more details on the FOSBR website.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 13, 2015, 14:26:01 »

Looks like FOSBR (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways) are holding a little 7th Anniversary Event of the increased services on the Severn Beach Line on 15 May by the Coffee Trike at Redland Station around 11.00 - 11.30. There a few more details on the FOSBR website.

Thank you for that, johnneyw. I confirmed the details with FOSBR's website, and have added this small, but perfectly formed, event to our diary. I can't make it, but for anyone who would like the opportunity to chat to FOSBR's leading lights, this is as good as any! No doubt there will be word on what improvements they would like to see next, beginning with the cascade of DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) and smart ticketing.

Now, please!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 28, 2015, 00:18:36 »

Must say, two excellent ticket collectors today on the Severn Riviera Express. Both really energetic in collecting revenue and one in particular demonstrating great wit and charm with the passengers. More of the same please. I got off the train at Temple meads laughing.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 28, 2015, 09:44:18 »

There are some very good Assistant Ticket Examiners who regularly work The Severn Beach Line.

I'll sing the praises for Rena, who never fails to be cheery on early morning weekday services. Even dealing with me and my regular requests for recondite ticket combinations. She knows I have a good working knowledge of the fares system and will often come to me if a fellow passenger has a question about fares she can't answer, or requires a second opinion on.

Good to see a staff member use all the tools at their disposal.

I'm one of those tools.  Tongue

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 28, 2015, 15:12:07 »

Must say, two excellent ticket collectors today on the Severn Riviera Express. Both really energetic in collecting revenue and one in particular demonstrating great wit and charm with the passengers. More of the same please. I got off the train at Temple meads laughing.

Very good to hear, and well posted johnneyw. On social media, praise often gets lost amongst the grumblings, and I hope FGW (First Great Western) see this. Making someone smile whilst taking money off them is a true art.

I'm one of those tools.  Tongue

Now now, BNM, self-deprecation will get you nowhere.

Now, please!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 28, 2015, 19:34:05 »

Well, credit where credit is due I say. Speaking of the Severn Beach Line, things seem to have gone a bit quiet as far as news is concerned on the proposed Portway station project. No-ones heard anything recently I suppose?
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #343 on: June 28, 2015, 20:08:23 »

Personally, I haven't heard anything more about this particular project recently.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 22, 2015, 20:08:09 »

I last heard Cllr Tim Kent saying it would definitely be built in 2014, followed by Port of Bristol Authority saying it was not possible for various unspecified reasons, to do with the level crossing.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25
  Print  

Jump to: