Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:38 London Paddington to Swansea
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
21:08 London Paddington to Reading
Delayed
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:30 Cardiff Central to Warminster
20:44 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
21:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 21:43:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[156] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[134] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[49] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[47] access for all at Devon stations report
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[25] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 25
  Print  
Author Topic: Severn Beach line - timetables, engineering work, closures, incidents (merged topics)  (Read 130276 times)
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 06, 2009, 19:37:09 »

0525 BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains)-SVB Ran
0549 BRI-AVN Ran
0631 BRI-SVB Ran
0705 BRI-SVB Ran
0803 BRI-AVN Cancelled
All further trains cancelled

0603 SVB-BRI Ran
0632 AVN-BRI Ran
0720 SVB-BRI Ran as far as Avonmouth (presume ran ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) to Bristol TM(resolve))
All further trains cancelled
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #196 on: February 06, 2009, 22:52:58 »

Following devon_metro's very helpful post (thanks, Liam!), this topic then moved on to a discussion of the service on the Exmouth line: just to avoid confusion, I've split that subsequent discussion to a new topic, in 'Shorter journeys in Devon' - see http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=4281.0

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
ReWind

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 08, 2009, 20:49:25 »

Can anybody confirm details on a turnback facilitly that I have overheard FGW (First Great Western) staff talk about at Clifton Down?

I do believe this would allow trains to terminate on the down side and re-enter service on the upside!

Does this mean extra trains for the BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) - Clifton line?

Or are some Avonmouth trains now going to terminate at Clifton?

AS a regular user of this line, I am intrested to know of any plans for this line!

Here, there and Everywhere!!
Rogang

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 08, 2009, 22:07:02 »

Yes, Clifton Down is available for a turn-around. Used occasionally of late to get Avonmouth services back on time by terminating short.
ReWind

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 13, 2009, 15:56:51 »

Does anyone know when the Station information monitors on the SVB are ALL going to be working?

I know some are working, Clifton's are, for example, but others on the route have been dormant for an age now, especially on the Bristol side at Lawrence Hill.

Here, there and Everywhere!!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 13, 2009, 20:16:50 »

I know Shirehampton's has been working, although I've not used the station for 7 days. Sea Mills and Redland's were working as I passed through. The last time I was at Lawrence Hill (9 days ago) the PIS (Passenger Information System) on the northbound platform was working.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: July 16, 2009, 22:11:07 »

Stations visited today:

PIS (Passenger Information System) working - Severn Beach, Avonmouth (Severn Beach side)

PIS not working - St Andrews Road, Avonmouth (Bristol side)

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Graz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: July 19, 2009, 16:36:46 »

These seem like a good idea, but I would much prefer LED departure boards like South West Trains uses as their smaller stations. By far easier to read and more informative.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 20, 2009, 02:09:53 »

These seem like a good idea, but I would much prefer LED departure boards like South West Trains uses as their smaller stations. By far easier to read and more informative.

The new PIS (Passenger Information System) on the SVB Line are not like the traditional overhead monitors. These are wall mounted and include Help Point/Emergency buttons with two-way voice connection to a control centre. They are circular in appearance and vaguely similar to Help Points on the London Underground but with the addition of a real-tme information monitor.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: November 21, 2009, 19:34:15 »

I have received the following e-mail from FOSBR (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways) (apologies if this info has already been posted elsewhere) :

Quote from: FOSBR (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways)
You will be interested to know that there will be some improvements to the service on the SB (Signal Box) line on Sundays next summer (2010) when there will be an hourly service to Severn Beach, 2 of which will also run through to Taunton via WsM. There will also be 11 services on the Sunday instead of the present 8. The winter timetable will have 11 trains too but only 2 to SB. This improvement is due to financial support from S Glos. Thus SB will have a better service on Sundays in the summer than it gets during the week.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 22, 2009, 00:36:03 »

Well done to SGC for funding improvements on the SVB line for a better Sunday service. Congrats also to FoSBR» (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways - site) for their sterling campaigning work.

I often travel to Taunton on a Sunday from Shirehampton, but I'm not sure that I can endure 100 mins plus on a Class 143! Unless, of course there are plans to employ 15x DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) for the direct trains. So I'll probably still change onto a Voyager at BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains). (I can just about endure 35mins on a 220/221!)

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 21, 2009, 08:36:23 »

From FGW (First Great Western):

Train services have been disrupted due to signalling problems between Bristol Temple Meads and Severn Beach.Engineers have worked as fast as possible to restore services to normal. Short notice alterations and delays of up to 20 minutes may still occur.

Road Transport is currently in operation.

Weather related?

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 23, 2010, 01:57:56 »

From Bristol Evening Post:

An article from last month I've only just come across:

Passengers on the Severn Beach railway line into Bristol are fed up ^ because they cannot pay their fares. They say they want to support the service which has come close to being axed in the past. But the peak-time trains often get too busy and the journey times are too short for the conductors to check tickets or take fares.

Temple Meads is the only station on the line where passengers can buy tickets. Otherwise they have to get them from a conductor on the train.

First Great Western, which runs the service, says it has put on extra staff at busy periods and are also looking at putting in ticket machines at stations along the line.

Bristol's transport leader Dr Jon Rogers, a family GP who regularly uses the service to travel to Avonmouth, said he had complaints from people who use the line from Montpelier Station. He said: "It is something I have spoken to First Great Western about before and I shall do so again. The council is pleased to invest in our local railway services, but First Great Western has a duty to maximise the collection of fares so that this taxpayer subsidy is not wasted."

The council pays an annual ^450,000 subsidy so the train company can run half-hourly trains at peak times. During the past year, the number of passengers who use the line has increased by nearly a third. The number of passengers who get on the train at Severn Beach or Avonmouth are few but the carriages quickly fill up at the stations nearer Bristol. Many passengers hop on and off the train for just a few stops which means they are only on board for a matter of a few minutes. The train takes 29 minutes to travel from Avonmouth to Bristol Temple Meads, stopping at Shirehampton, Sea Mills, Clifton Down, Redland, Montpelier, Stapleton Road and Lawrence Hill.

Paul Harrod, prospective Liberal Democrat parliamentary candidate for Bristol North West, who raised the issue with Dr Rogers, said he was getting an increasing number of complaints from commuters who regularly use the line. He said: "We all welcome the extra investment the council has put into the Severn Beach line so that a half-hourly service can be run. Yet no one wants to see a taxpayer subsidy continue indefinitely. First Great Western need to make every effort to collect fares ^ even when passengers are making journeys of just a few miles. It is a bizarre state of affairs when people are complaining about not being able to hand over money to a train company!"

First Great Western spokesman Dan Panes said: "The enormous success of the enhanced Severn Beach services has seen passenger numbers grow by up to 30 per cent on the line in the past year. Unfortunately this, coupled with the relatively short journey times on the route, makes it more difficult for our guards to check all tickets before the end of the journey.
"However, we've put on additional staff on peak services, and at some interim stations to make sure we can check the majority of tickets. We are actively looking to find funding for ticket machines at stations along the route, but these can be expensive and we need to be careful that the cost of machines does not outweigh the benefits."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: February 23, 2010, 07:26:24 »

I wrote a letter to FGW (First Great Western) after the guard never came out except to open the doors, so I wasn't sold a ticket and had to queue at Temple Meads.  I received a very standard letter back, along the signs of "we are sorry you're ticket wasn't checked" along with a few excuses.

It may be strange for passengers to complain that you wanted to pay the fare but without cash coming in and ticket sales increasing, what chance have we got of the service improving without more taxpayer subsidy?

My suggestion is to have a Parking Meter type of machine (I imagine these are fairly cheap and vandal-proof), where the minimum for a ticket to be issued is 75p (i.e. the railcard price for a single).  This ticket can then be exchanged for a real ticket or used as a permit to travel for longer journeys.  At least FGW will then take a minimum of 75p from every passenger who manages to get away without a ticket.
rich0099

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 23, 2010, 08:53:38 »

I'm now a regular commuter from SVB to CFN (Clifton Down station) and back - and yes there are problems with the ticketing.

For my part of the journey, most of the problems occur between Shirehampton, Sea Mills and Clifton Down as the distances are so short.

The other problem is that the system needs to be 'cash only'. Besides the machines being slow to print anyway, it's the people purchasing a ^1.50 single fare with a credit card (mostly because they've been caught out trying to fare-dodge).

If an easier cash-only tear-off & punch ticketing system was adopted - that would save all the hassle. I understand this would be non-standard - but so far, the furthest station I've heard anyone ask for is Bath Spa.

During the morning commute - currently there are two guards - surely this can't be cost effective for FGW (First Great Western)?
Last night's journey, no... my pass wasn't checked.

As an aside, it was either last Thursday or Friday (sorry... getting old) the SVB morning trains were cancelled 'due to vandalism' and only ran as far as Avonmouth until late in the afternoon. Does anyone know any details of the incident - I'm guessing that this co-incided with the last few days of school half term... *sigh*
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 09:06:59 by rich0099 » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 25
  Print  

Jump to: