Brighton Belle withdrawn (link)

Train RunningShort Run
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 03:58:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[120] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[90] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[77] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[76] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Broadgage unwell.
[49] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 25
  Print  
Author Topic: Severn Beach line - timetables, engineering work, closures, incidents (merged topics)  (Read 130290 times)
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: January 22, 2011, 15:06:15 »

So, going to Bath from Redland? Buy a single/return to Temple Meads then excess this onboard to your Bath fare. If the 'rule' that you must purchase a ticket for at least part of your journey is enforced then I see little time being saved by Conductors selling tickets onboard SVB Line services. Conductors will, instead of selling a through ticket, be fiddling around on Avantix (Ticket Issuing System used on board trains) doing excesses.
I assume the tickets will be treated as a permit to travel, i.e. processed as a voucher rather than an existing ticket.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #256 on: January 23, 2011, 18:56:06 »

"Don't worry about it" was the response of an assistant ticket examiner when I attempted to buy my ticket this morning.

As I was quite early, the shops hadn't opened so the only cash I had was a ^20 note from the ATM(resolve) and about 40p in change.  Asked for my ticket to Stapleton Road, offered to pay by card as I only had a twenty and was told "don't worry about it", before he walked off and served the next customer.

I'll be pleased when these machines become operational, lets hope they give change or act only as PERTIS (Permit to travel) Roll Eyes
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 23, 2011, 20:08:52 »

Is it going to become compulsory to buy a ticket before boarding the train or are these machines just for people travelling into Temple Meads?

Not unless the NRCoC (National Rail Conditions of Carriage) are going to be amended; the machines apparently only accept cash payments and not cards. What they will do is provide a handy way for honest passengers to make sure they can pay their fares and also speed things up for passengers travelling to Temple Meads who might otherwise have to queue at the barriers there to buy a ticket and leave the station.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: January 25, 2011, 11:42:09 »

Tuesday today so the machines should be operational?  Not at Redland.

The instructions are now in place, but the machine wasn't switched on Roll Eyes

My only opinion today is complete and utter confusion.  There has been no publicity as to what the ticket machine will issue, how to use it, does NRCoC (National Rail Conditions of Carriage) No 2 apply, how do you buy tickets for further travel, how do you buy tickets for the opposite direction etc etc.  I'm also assuming it prints of flimsy car park ticket stock, so probably won't go through the barrier at Temple Meads.

These are the instructions:

The small text says
This ticket machine accepts cash only.  All tickets are issued subject to National Conditions of Carriage, available at staffed ticket offices or at www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk.  Tickets are not transferable and, unless indicated, are valid for travel by any permitted route and on the services of participating operators.  This machine is operated by First Great Western Ltd, 1 Milford Street, Swinon, SN1 1HL.  To apply for refunds, please go to the nearest stagged ticket office, or contact: Customer Services Team, First Great Western, Freepost SWB30576, Plymouth, PL4 6ZZ.
I think no-one realised that First Great Western Ltd doesn't actually exist.  I think they meant to put First Greater Western Ltd trading as First Great Western.

I've got three issues:
1. Through journeys: if I don't buy something at this machine, will I be charged full fare under NRCoC section 2?
2. For people who aren't travelling to Temple Meads, would many actually buy a ticket?  If you are paying the full price anyway, then surely just getting on the train and buying on-board would seem the most attractive option to many?
3. Who (especially children) has exactly 75p when they travel Angry

And there isn't any new CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) yet (unless it is well hidden).
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 25, 2011, 14:08:07 »

If they are not acting as PERTIS (Permit to travel) machines, the sign should say "for other journeys buy on board". 

A sensible solution to the exit delays at BTm caused by people buying their tickets there, but the machines are not a solution to anything else. 
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 25, 2011, 14:44:58 »

I've got three issues:
1. Through journeys: if I don't buy something at this machine, will I be charged full fare under NRCoC (National Rail Conditions of Carriage) section 2?
2. For people who aren't travelling to Temple Meads, would many actually buy a ticket?  If you are paying the full price anyway, then surely just getting on the train and buying on-board would seem the most attractive option to many?
3. Who (especially children) has exactly 75p when they travel Angry

And there isn't any new CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) yet (unless it is well hidden).

I would say that you will still be able to buy the full range of other tickets on the train - the wording certainly hints at that: "tickets for the following southbound rail journeys" but it could be made a bit clearer with the wording Tim suggests.

Who would actually buy a ticket?  Presumably those passengers who get narked off with having to queue to get a ticket at the barriers at Bristol Temple Meads every morning because the on-train staff haven't had time to get to them.  What percentage of people aren't travelling to Temple Meads? - not many I wouldn't think - and the on-train staff will now stand a much better chance of getting to you to serve a ticket if you aren't.  Fair point about people carrying round loose change - but, again, they might see the benefit of making sure they do so if they can breeze through the barriers.

I'm a little surprised it allows you to buy a weekly season ticket, without mentioning that you should have a photocard - but I'm sure that will be a popular option on Monday mornings when presumably most people renew.

Overall, an interesting idea - let's see how it works.  As CfN says, the machines are to be emptied on a regular basis - according to Customer Panel Meeting minutes they will be emptied by the Council daily.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
rich0099

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 31, 2011, 13:30:04 »

Last weeks article in the BEP
___________________________________________________________________________________________
"""NEWER trains with bigger carriages are on the way for the Severn Beach rail line, due to a "pretty spectacular" growth in popularity.

The line, which runs through Bristol from Temple Meads to Severn Beach via Clifton Down and Avonmouth, has seen a more than 20 per cent increase in passenger numbers in the last year.

First Great Western regional manager for the West of England Julian Crow described this as a "huge success story" when he spoke at a West of England Partnership meeting on transport. He told councillors: "The Severn Beach line growth is pretty spectacular. This is very, very encouraging. "The downside is some very cosy conditions on the busiest trains."

To help deal with the growing demand, Mr Crow said the trains used would be upgraded ^ probably in the summer ^ meaning they could add an extra 40 seats per train. The new trains would be more modern class 150 model, which can reach up to 75mph, although that speed would not be practical for much of the journey through Bristol. Passengers will find it easier to get on and off the new trains, Mr Crow added.

The older models are due to be sent to a northern rail franchise as part of a deal with the Department for Transport.

New ticket machines have also been added at a number of stops on the line in the last week, at Redland, Montpelier and Clifton Down.

Mr Crow said; "There is a lot of growth around Bristol and potential for growth. "There are pretty similar pictures on the Bath to Filton, Bristol to Cardiff and Bristol to Gloucester lines. "The current level of service on the Severn Beach line is confirmed to continue for the May timetable. "We are in negotiation with Bristol City Council to maintain the level of service and possible improvements to the evening service."

The city council put the subsidised service out to tender last year, as part of an effort to save money on all of the authority supported transport routes. This led to concerns that the line could be cut back despite the growth in popularity.

As revealed in the Evening Post earlier this month, the council did consider scrapping the line altogether as part of the ^28 million budget cuts for 2011/12 but has now discounted that idea.

Much of the growth in the line has come since the council made a number of improvements, including funding a second train to provide services every 40 minutes.""""
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Not sure the 150's can be classed as 'more modern' as didn't they come into service at the same time as the 143's in the 1980's? Moreover, I'm sure there will be a few grumpy cyclists as there's not a lot of room to get their bikes onto a 150. There are quite a few people who get on and off with bikes at peak times.

I'm glad the councils are still supporting the line - but the track could do with a bit of renewing at the SVB end!
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #262 on: January 31, 2011, 14:47:15 »

I am sure i posted  this article on here before
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: January 31, 2011, 15:02:42 »

You did:

Seems that FGW (First Great Western) intend to get rid of pacers on the severn beach line:

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/news/Newer-trains-seats-track-commuter-line/article-3137936-detail/article.html

From what i have read in the article  i think  it is likely that some of the former london overground class 150's will be used.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
rich0099

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 31, 2011, 16:21:48 »

Sorry... my mistake. I'd delete it if I knew how.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #265 on: January 31, 2011, 18:00:13 »

No problem: I'm inclined to leave this particular topic here, as the comments relate quite specifically to the Severn Beach Line.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JaminBob

View Profile Email
« Reply #266 on: February 05, 2011, 08:26:56 »

I was wondering, does anyone know what the actual usage figures are?
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: February 05, 2011, 08:29:46 »

I was wondering, does anyone know what the actual usage figures are?
The 08/09 data can be found here: http://www.rail-reg.gov.uk/server/show/nav.1529
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #268 on: February 05, 2011, 11:59:31 »

Figures from the Severnside Community Rail Partnership progress report, published January 2011:

Passengers travelling Bristol - Severn Beach in 2010 = 754,000 journeys (source: FGW (First Great Western) ticket sales)

The number of passengers using the Severn Beach Line has more than doubled in the past five years.

Apologies for the poor quality of the scan - paper copies are available if anyone wants them: just send me a PM with your address.

I'll try to get a better quality version to post here, too.

Chris.  Embarrassed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #269 on: February 06, 2011, 17:28:58 »

Better still: I now have a 'pdf' version of the Severnside CRP (Community Rail Partnership) progress report.

If anyone would like a copy, please just drop me a PM, and I'll e-mail it to you.

Chris  Wink

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 25
  Print  

Jump to: