06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
29/04/24 21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 01:34:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[120] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[90] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[77] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[76] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Broadgage unwell.
[49] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 25
  Print  
Author Topic: Severn Beach line - timetables, engineering work, closures, incidents (merged topics)  (Read 130286 times)
JaminBob

View Profile Email
« Reply #285 on: March 20, 2011, 14:14:14 »

Really good news for everybody, council, operator, passengers... and how often can you say that?!  Wink
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 24, 2011, 01:50:45 »

Ticket machine at Clifton Down was working last evening (23rd March 2011). Yay!!!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 25, 2011, 18:33:24 »

And the proof that the machine at Clifton Down is still working.....  Tongue

Purchased by me today. I only wanted the Child/Railcard Single at 75p, but I put my pound in before realising the machines don't give change. Your ticket choice is governed by what you tender so I couldn't even select the single. A notice saying 'No change given' would be nice....

EDIT: Ooh, I just noticed a rather spooky reflection of myself in the blue panel!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JaminBob

View Profile Email
« Reply #288 on: March 29, 2011, 07:45:06 »

Arghhh, its haunted!!!
bambam

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 09, 2011, 22:00:57 »

Welcome news, particularly the reduction in subsidy. The fares revenue must be healthy for that to happen as I can't see FGW (First Great Western) taking up any shortfall. The later, year round, Sunday evening train is also good news.

Now, are those ticket machines 'live' yet?

FOSBR (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways) say in their latest newsletter that the increased fare revenue covers the ^200,000 gap. impressive or what?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 28, 2011, 18:32:01 »

Today, (28/06/2011) The Severnside Community Rail Partnership conducted its annual passenger count on the Severn Beach Line.

I helped out in this task and it was interesting to see just what the loadings are like on this line at various points throughout the day.

I usually only use the line at most once or twice a week in the early AM into Bristol and late evening out to Shirehampton, so to make numerous round trips across the morning and afternoon and see the different demographics was a pleasant change from my normal journeys.

One particular group of passengers made for an interesting count. Around 40-60 secondary school kids on a trip to London from Redland at 0819. This train is already a particularly busy commuter service and it was tight squeeze getting all the kids on. Especially as they all had cases ( I assume their trip involved at least one overnight stay). Everyone got on as did passengers at Montpelier and Stapleton Road. As we were not counting on this service (others had that difficult task!) myself and another passenger count enumerator (Chris from Nailsea) bailed out at Stapleton Road to make space for a few more fare paying passengers.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JaminBob

View Profile Email
« Reply #291 on: June 29, 2011, 08:58:05 »

Wow.

How does your count compare to the Council one?
rich0099

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 29, 2011, 12:54:51 »

I was on the 07:20 SVB - BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) that morning, but there were less passengers boarding at SVB than usual... probably due to the summer holidays starting.

Of course the busier service is the 07:54hrs - I just hope that the footfall numbers recorded (either by SCRP or BCC» (Bristol City Council - about)) are representative of the passenger numbers, and take into account seasonal changes.

I've also noticed that at Shirehampton or Sea Mills, the numbers fluctuate depending on the weather. Perhaps this is due to inadequate shelter on the platforms when it's raining?

As an aside, I still see people trying to get away without paying fares on this line (mainly stalling the conductor with credit/debit cards). I know 'people are people', but it's quite depressing to see this - especially bearing in mind how fantastically low the fares are.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 29, 2011, 14:50:13 »

You'll find me stalling the conductors, not with a debit card, but by buying split tickets or unusual routes. All done with a smile and I like to get all my tickets sorted before Temple Meads, whenever possible. Plus, it all adds to the conductors commission.

I encountered a conductor who I normally see on the 0635 from Shirehampton on the 0726 from Shire to the Beach (then 0754 SVB-BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains)). She still struggles to find my Shirehampton-London Terminals Off Peak Day Return via WARMSTER-SALSBRY on her Avantix (Ticket Issuing System used on board trains) (yes that ticket is valid at 0635 from SHH!). She seemed quite relieved when I showed her the line pass I had for the day!

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #294 on: June 29, 2011, 18:00:32 »

Wow.
How does your count compare to the Council one?

I just hope that the footfall numbers recorded (either by SCRP or BCC» (Bristol City Council - about)) are representative of the passenger numbers, and take into account seasonal changes.

I'll answer those particular points in my 'official' capacity, on behalf of the SCRP, if I may. Wink

There are two official passenger counts each year: the SCRP / FoSBR» (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways - site) one in June, and the Bristol City Council one in November. Taking into account seasonal variations (summer holidays v winter shoppers, for example), we then get a seasonally adjusted figure, as well as an ongoing picture of summer and winter use.

I'll publicise all of the total figures here - when we've collated them.

Chris.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
rich0099

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 13, 2011, 17:04:00 »

Courtesy of http://www.jngroup.biz/  (via twitter)

(sorry if this has been posted elsewhere)

SEVERN BEACH BRANCH LINE:

On Sunday September 18th the Severn Beach Line will be suspended until
Sunday October 23rd due to work needing to be carried out by Network Rail.

Buses will replace the train on Sundays departing Bristol Temple Meads at:

0908, 1023, 1123, 1223, 1323, 1423, 1523, 1623, 1723 and 1823

Buses will depart Severn Beach at:

1045 and 1830

Buses will depart Avonmouth at:

1000, 1100, 1145, 1245, 1345, 1445, 1545, 1645, 1745 and 1845

Does anyone have any idea what Network Rail are doing?
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #296 on: September 13, 2011, 21:55:10 »

Yes, that all seems right to me: Network Rail are doing 'maintenance work' on the Severn Beach Line on each of those Sundays - and I am also hoping to get some 'community payback' work done, at and around the stations, at the same time.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 13, 2011, 22:29:34 »

Let us know when you're around Chris!

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 14, 2011, 01:01:51 »

Some of those times don't match the published timetable: http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Documents/Custom/TTs%20Apr%20%2711/GW11M_TT29_WEB_V1.pdf
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 14, 2011, 03:33:53 »

Times for the Rail Replacement Buses do tally up with the amended timetable at FGW (First Great Western)'s website. That old one should really be removed now. The times the OP (Original Poster / topic starter) posted are in booking engines and NRE(resolve) as well.

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=5250

Oh, and where would you intuitively look for information regarding service changes? The 'Timetable alterations & engineering work' page perhaps?

Nope, no mention whatsoever of the closure of the Severn Beach Line on Sundays for the next 6 weeks. Same goes for National Rail Enquiries. No mention when inputting details of date and TOC (Train Operating Company) in their 'Future engineering work' search facility.

But I am glad to know that on one of those Sundays FGW mention that the 0820 from Temple Meads to Swindon is cancelled. A train that has rail alternatives half an hour either side. So it appears they can publicise in the right place a single service cancellation, but not a whole line closure.  Roll Eyes Shocked Angry
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 03:51:52 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 25
  Print  

Jump to: