14:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 14:53:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[113] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[100] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[99] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[88] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[35] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[32] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: New railway stations proposed for Cranbrook, Newcourt and Marsh Barton (merged topic)  (Read 143626 times)
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2011, 15:17:31 »

i think they underestimate kingskerswell, as for exminster... its a fair walk to the village,unless the swans nest gets a station  Grin.... in exminster surly plus bus extension would be the answer
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2011, 16:54:30 »

i think they underestimate kingskerswell, as for exminster... its a fair walk to the village,unless the swans nest gets a station  Grin.... in exminster surly plus bus extension would be the answer

I'm not sure about Kingskerswell, it's situated at the back of the housing estate I believe, and most people have cars/close access to the number 12 bus so it's far more convenient to go to nearby Newton Abbot where there is a much better level of service.

As for Edginswell, it might serve as a good Park & Ride for Torbay helping avoid the busy Newton Road.

View Profile Email
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2011, 17:22:30 »

yeh i guess, mind you its the paignton direction it would be handy for..... i hate waiting in traffic on that road, even worse when your hopping on and off it doing multidrop 
bambam

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2011, 19:22:02 »

I'm not sure about Kingskerswell, it's situated at the back of the housing estate I believe, and most people have cars/close access to the number 12 bus so it's far more convenient to go to nearby Newton Abbot where there is a much better level of service.

Trains are more attractive than buses for traveling though.

i think they underestimate kingskerswell,

They generally do underestimate reopening.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2011, 15:34:49 »

Update on Cranbrook, while searching for something else on NR» (Network Rail - home page)'s website a link to a 'workbank planning' document cropped up, dated May this year, and the same document showed that a design and build contract (GRIP (Guide to Railway Investment Projects) 5-8) for 'Cranbrook new station' is currently out to tender with the Western route civils framework contractor. 

The relevant 'Network change notification' for the new station was also established in July.

Paul
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2012, 14:34:46 »

From This Is Exeter:

Quote from: This Is Exeter
New rail station is running late

THE timetable for building a railway station to serve the new town of Cranbrook has been pushed back.

Devon County Council had announced that it expected construction work on the multi-million pound station to start this spring.

But with a planning application yet to be submitted, the authority has said there is "more work yet to do" before it can confirm when the station will be built.

The county council has been working with Network Rail and South West Trains on the plans.

The station would give residents of Cranbrook, being built to the east of the city, a direct link to the rail network and is also expected to be used by workers at the nearby Skypark business park and Exeter Science Park. It is understood that services on the Exeter St David's to London Waterloo line will call at Cranbrook.

A council spokesman said: "There's a bit more work yet to do before a planning application can be submitted.

"The authority met with East Devon District Council planners and some parish councils in November for pre-application discussions that will help inform the submitted planning application.

"Those discussions included ideas about aspects of the design, such as the car park layout and types of facilities that will be provided, for example, the waiting shelter type, and cycle parking."

Initially it will be unmanned with a single platform, two shelters and a ticket machine. But the station will be designed with a view to adding a second platform as the number of passengers using it rises in the years ahead, if a double track is reinstated.

The initial layout also has an access road, a car park with more than 100 spaces, bus and taxi stops and bicycle parking.

The cost has been estimated at ^3.5 million, rising to ^4.5m by the time the station is fully developed. The county council is in talks with the South West Regional Development Agency and the Homes and Communities Agency about how to fund the project.

It was always intended that Cranbrook should have its own station, as well as a secondary school and two primary schools.

When work on the station was initially announced, Councillor Stuart Hughes, cabinet member for highways and transportation, said: "From the very start of planning the Cranbrook new community 15 years ago it was clear that a new railway station should be a fundamental part of the concept."

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2012, 00:36:11 »

From the Exmouth Journal:

Plans for new railway station submitted

Detailed plans have been submitted for a new ^4.5million railway station at Cranbrook.

The station has been developed by Devon County Council, East Devon District Council and the New Community Partnership, working with Network Rail and South West Trains.

Plans include a single platform, with the potential for a second track and a second platform.

As well as the new Cranbrook development, the station, on the Exeter to Waterloo line, will also serve Exeter Science Park and Skypark.

Outline planning permission was granted in 2010, and, subject to planning approval, work is expected to start in spring 2013.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2012, 19:46:31 »

From the Western Morning News:

Residents and businesses are being asked to comment on proposals for two new railway stations in Exeter.

Views are being sought in advance of formal planning applications being registered for the stations at Newcourt and Marsh Barton.

The stations will form a central part of plans to improve rail services through the Devon Metro initiative.

The station at Newcourt would be adjacent to the former Royal Naval Stores Depot development area, and would be just over 10 minutes from the city centre.

At Marsh Barton the station would be centrally located within the trading estate near the rail bridge served off Alphin Brook Road.

It is hoped that the latter station will relieve pressure on the A379 and Countess Wear from those commuting to the estate from south and east Devon. It will also increase public transport access to the Riverside Valley Park.

Both new stations will have similar facilities to those at Digby and Sowton, and will be connected to the city's walking and cycling networks.

Councillor Andrew Leadbetter, county councillor for St Loye's and Topsham, said he hoped that the Newcourt station could be operational in two years' time. He added: "It's encouraging that we are consulting and involving the local residents at an early stage. I look forward to when the station is open, offering an alternative mode of transport to local residents, while also helping to reduce congestion on local roads, including Topsham Road."

Alphington and Cowick county councillor Vanessa Newcombe said: "I welcome the progress of the proposal to put a new railway station in Marsh Barton. It will be a great asset to the area."

Councillor Stuart Hughes, Devon's cabinet member for highways and transportation, said: "Plans are still being developed and while this is at a relatively early stage of the process we want to hear the thoughts of local businesses and local residents. There will obviously be more consultation once the plans have been developed and the formal process for applications is under way."

Comments should be emailed to transportplanning@devon.gov.uk, or they can be posted to Transport Planning, Lucombe House, County Hall, Topsham Road, Exeter EX2 4QD.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2012, 17:47:36 »

I had lunch, with much of the FTN! family, at the Double Locks on Sunday. It was very pleasant, and I would love to go back there without the car, so put me down as a "Yes" for Marsh Barton!

Now, please!

View Profile Email
« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2012, 22:28:50 »

I work on marsh Barton I wish I could dump my car at Honiton and get the train in, instead of wasting my morning In that stupid traffic
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2012, 19:36:32 »

Devon County Councillors are looking at the outline plans for the two new stations at Newcourt and Marsh Barton prior to the formal planning applications being submitted.

From the Devon County Council news centre:

New train stations will bring economic benefit and ease traffic congestion in the city

Posted on: 11 December 2012

Councillors will be asked this week, Wednesday 12 December, to approve layout plans for two new railway stations for Exeter, prior to formal planning applications being submitted. The two new stations, at Newcourt and Marsh Barton, will be part of the Devon Metro initiative, developed to help the local rail network improve capacity and quality of service. They are supported by Devon County Council^s Local Transport Plan and Exeter City^s Local Development Framework.

Newcourt station will be located adjacent to the former Royal Naval Stores Depot development area, with journey times into the city centre of just over 10 minutes.  It will consist of a single 124 metre platform, suitable for longer trains, and will include a shelter, ticket machine and customer information system. Pedestrian and cyclists^ access will mainly be from Liberty Way.  A small drop off area and parking for disabled people will also be provided.

The station at Marsh Barton will be centrally located within the trading estate, near the rail bridge served off Alphin Brook Road.  It will provide the opportunity for rail commuting from South and East Devon to the estate, relieving pressure on the A379 and Countess Wear. Two platforms, both 124 metres long, will be linked by a footbridge with a lift. The platforms will have shelters, ticket machines and a customer information system. Because Marsh Barton station will be used more by commuters travelling to work, it will have only limited parking, accessed from the Riverside Valley Park side of the railway, with spaces available for disabled people. Access for pedestrians, cyclists, and for emergency vehicles will from the Marsh Barton side of the station.

Both the Newcourt and Marsh Barton stations will include secure cycle facilities and CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) security.

Proposals for the new stations have been positively received by the Devon and Exeter Rail Working Party and are supported by First Great Western and Network Rail, the Rail Users Group and the Devon and Cornwall Rail Partnership.

If Councillors like the plans on Wednesday, formal applications for planning permissions will be made, with further consultation to follow as part of the planning process. Preliminary estimated costs, subject to the final designs, are expected to be in the region of ^2 million for the new station at Newcourt, and ^4 million for the station at Marsh Barton. Funding has yet to be secured, but the Council hopes that with the outline designs agreed and with planning permission, they^ll be in a stronger position to secure external funding.

Devon County Council^s Cabinet Member with responsibility for Highways and Transportation, Cllr Stuart Hughes, said: ^We have an excellent rail network in Devon, with many of our major market and coastal towns well connected with Exeter, providing transport for work, leisure or shopping. We are keen that the rail network fulfils its potential and these two new stations will build upon recent funding secured for additional services and capacity on local routes out of Exeter. Economic assessment has shown that the proposed new stations would be good value for money providing travel time benefits for rail users who would be able to avoid traffic congestion on surrounding roads. Other road users are anticipated to benefit from congestion relief. There are few counties in the country making such major steps with the rail network and I will be encouraging Members to support this ongoing investment in the rail system, which is fundamental in supporting sustainable growth across the county.^

Councillor Andrew Leadbetter, County Councillor for St Loyes and Topsham, said: ^ve been listening to people about the proposals and have taken their views on board. I^m looking forward to when the station is open, offering an alternative mode of transport to local residents, whilst also helping to reduce congestion on local roads, including Topsham Road."

Councillor Vanessa Newcombe, County Councillor for Alphington and Cowick, said: ^I welcome the progress of the proposal to put a new railway station in Marsh Barton. It will be a great asset to the area.^

Subject to Wednesday^s decision, the planning applications will be considered by the Council^s independent Development Management Committee in the New Year.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2012, 08:06:14 »

Which lines are these new stations?

Presumably with current timetabling practice each stop will add up to 5 minutes to the running time. Is there enough line capacity to accommodate the additional running time? Plus stock for the extra passengers?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2012, 08:21:30 »

Newcourt station will be on the Exeter-Exmouth line (aka Avocet (Branch line from Exeter to Exmouth) Line) between Digby & Sowton and Topsham.

Marsh Barton station will be on the Exeter-Plymouth main line approximately 1^ miles down from Exeter St Thomas station.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.

View Profile Email
« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2012, 11:12:13 »

I just have a couple of concerns .... with marsh barton presumably it would be served by the exmouth-paignton services giving a decent option from the paignton direction but how long do the services wait at exeter st davids before continuing their journey? also looking at services coming from the west of england line from honiton and axminster the current timetables mean that getting to exeter st thomas most of the time is a nightmare presumably this would be no different?
Nibat

View Profile Email
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2012, 12:05:22 »

The connections between Paignton and Waterloo trains are pretty good these days since SWT (South West Trains) change the departure time from Exeter after the introduction of hourly services:

The services from Honiton and Axminster usually arrive at Exeter St Davids at about xx.42 and the Paignton trains usually depart at xx.56.  Likewise, in the other direction, services from St Thomas arrive at about xx.15 and Waterloo trains depart at xx.26. 

Maybe this is different at peaks when the Paignton trains run very 30-ish minutes, but the waiting time shouldn't be more than 20-25 minutes...
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: