Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
Delayed
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:24 Swansea to London Paddington
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:30 Cardiff Central to Warminster
20:44 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
21:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 22:07:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[156] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[134] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[49] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[47] access for all at Devon stations report
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[25] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: New railway stations proposed for Cranbrook, Newcourt and Marsh Barton (merged topic)  (Read 143590 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2013, 19:32:41 »

An update on related road developments, from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Exeter M5 junction 29 scheme opened by transport secretary

Redhayes Bridge which crosses the M5 near junction 29 won an award when it was built in 2011

A major road scheme near Exeter has been officially opened by Transport Secretary Norman Baker.

The ^11m improvements to junction 29 of the M5 include new slip roads to the A30 and Exeter's new science park.

The roads will also serve the Skypark business development, the new town of Cranbrook, Flybe's training academy and a new terminal at Exeter Airport.

The Redhayes Bridge, which crosses the M5 near the junction, won a British Construction Industry Award in 2011.

After the official opening, Mr Baker was taken on a tour of the ^3m energy centre at Skypark.

Work on the junction upgrade began in May 2011.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2013, 21:05:29 »

Broadclyst closed station was very handily placed to run a shuttle bus to Exeter Airport but perhaps a similar service could be run from the new Cranbrook one, via the airport, to outlying eastern areas of Exeter such as the Met Office and other trading estates, I mean 'business parks', no 'science parks'.  Better late than never, but one does feel that it's roads first (maybe rail sometime) where the local councils are concerned.

The glossy flyover video is here

http://www.iviewer3d.co.uk/eed/flythrough.htm

John R

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2013, 19:11:01 »

Note that the government has today confirmed funding for Newcourt station on the branch.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2013, 23:14:35 »

Note that the government has today confirmed funding for Newcourt station on the branch.

But not Marsh Barton. I'm not sure that the local authority actually asked for funding in this round, probably because schemes had to be "shovel ready".

Now, please!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2013, 11:10:28 »

From a FGW (First Great Western) Press Release ciculated to the Customer Panel -

Plans for a new ^1.44 million railway station in Devon have been unveiled by Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin following a visit to the region.
The new station at Newcourt was given the green light alongside three other stations in the UK (United Kingdom) after successfully applying for funding under the New Station Fund.
The fund is part of ^37 billion worth of investment spent from 2014 to 2019, which will modernise the railways and provide massive benefits to both passengers and the UK economy.
Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin, who was in the region on Wednesday and Thursday [15 and 16 May] to meet with First Great Western^s Managing Director Mark Hopwood and other stakeholders said:
^Funding this new station illustrates our commitment to working with community and national partners to meet local transport needs that not only deliver real benefits to passengers but also improves the network.
^This is another example of the government^s determination to transform the railways as we continue to push forward with the biggest programme of rail investment ever.^
Mark Hopwood said:
^First Great Western are delighted that the Department for Transport has approved Devon County Council^s bid for a new station at Newcourt. 
^The growth in rail travel in Devon is amongst the highest in the country.   
^We have a strong partnership here with the council, the community and our industry partners.^  ^We now look forward to working with them to develop the new station, and to secure further improvements for our customers.^
The fund, managed by Network Rail, was announced at the end of January when local authorities, train operating companies and developers were invited to bid for funding towards the construction costs of brand new stations.
The successful bids announced today are:
^   Newcourt, Devon, where the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) will pay for around half of the scheme expected to cost in the region of ^1.5 million
^   Ilkeston, Derbyshire, which will receive over ^4.5 million of DfT funding towards a scheme worth over ^6.5 million
^   Lea Bridge, London Borough of Waltham Forest, which will receive over ^1 million towards a scheme worth in excess of ^6.5 million
^   Pye Corner, Newport, which will receive over ^2.5 million towards a scheme worth over ^3.5 million
Scheme sponsor Devon County Council will now work with Network Rail to finalise the Newcourt station plans with the new station planned to open before the end of 2014.

Not being a Devon local - which line is this on?
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 20, 2013, 11:28:47 »

I'm not either, but Google Is My Friend:

It's in exeter

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #96 on: May 20, 2013, 11:36:58 »

Doesn't answer my question.....:-)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 20, 2013, 11:41:11 »

Following the link would! It's on the Exmouth line, between Digby & Sowton and Topsham.

In the document I see once again the rather gray-squirrelish term 'slue' - meaning, I presume, 'slew'. Are we in the process of adoptizing all Usanian railroad terms now?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #98 on: May 20, 2013, 11:49:35 »

Thanks - I'd missed that it was a link...
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 20, 2013, 11:59:14 »

Fair point, it doesn't show up very well - I'll try to be clearer in future.  Smiley

phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #100 on: May 20, 2013, 17:58:23 »

Perhaps would have been more approriate to have been posted on "Shorter Journeys in Devon" Board.   I doubt if yhere will ever be anyservices from London calling there !!!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2013, 19:31:42 »

Fair comment: I have now moved and merged these related topics into this ongoing discussion here.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2013, 23:55:34 »

Usanian

That's the nippy 100 yards dash fella, yeah?  Cheesy

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 21, 2013, 08:38:29 »

Usanian

That's the nippy 100 yards dash fella, yeah?  Cheesy

I was possibly being a bit obscure... 'Usanian' means 'of or pertaining to the United States of America'; not to be confused with 'American' which should (but I'll accept often doesn't) cover a rather larger area.

I have no idea what they call 'sleepers' in Paraguay.

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 21, 2013, 18:35:44 »

I have no idea what they call 'sleepers' in Paraguay.

"Traviesas (de ferrocarril)" if you mean the ties between rails, "Tren del durmiente" o "Tren nocturno" if you mean Zzzz. I have no idea what they call agents of espionage or terror placed undercover in society as seemingly innocuous persons, until being called into active service by a malign power.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: