Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:38 London Paddington to Swansea
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
19:44 Swindon to London Paddington
21:08 London Paddington to Reading
Delayed
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:30 Cardiff Central to Warminster
20:44 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 21:30:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[156] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[134] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[49] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[47] access for all at Devon stations report
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[25] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Weymouth - summer weekend loco-hauled services - 2007  (Read 20546 times)
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2007, 20:52:52 »

At Bruton a young girl wanted to alight and panicked because the door didn't open automatically and a fellow passenger had to open the door for her.

I was the 1 that let her out Tongue

The rest of your post is correct, thanks for explining what happened, saved me the effort!

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2007, 16:31:21 »

Here is a Wiltshire Times article on this (link below.)
http://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/latestheadlines/display.var.1523466.0.extra_train_added_to_holiday_route.php#comments

Quote from "Des , Ex - Melksham" :

"Has Melksham still got a station ?"

A Bath Chronicle article can be found in the link below.
http://thisisbath.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=163490&command=displayContent&sourceNode=163316&contentPK=17787427&folderPk=89126&pNodeId=163047
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 10:54:40 by Lee Fletcher » Logged

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2007, 21:09:30 »

Here is a Wiltshire Times article on this (link below.)
http://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/latestheadlines/display.var.1523466.0.extra_train_added_to_holiday_route.php#comments

Quote from "Des , Ex - Melksham" :

"Has Melksham still got a station ?"

A Bath Chronicle article can be found in the link below.
http://thisisbath.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=163490&command=displayContent&sourceNode=163316&contentPK=17787427&folderPk=89126&pNodeId=163047
Hurrah!!! News about this service is slowly but surely spreading thanks to the local press. BUT without the weather it won't help much.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2007, 17:37:17 »

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=1585

Important information about the Saturday Special Service to Weymouth

For operational reasons on Saturday 4 August 2007, 2 coaches will replace the Weymouth service departing Bristol Temple Meads at 08.34.

Coaches will also run from the following stations along this line at the advertised time for the train:

2 coaches from Bath

1 coach from Westbury going direct to Weymouth

1 coach from Westbury going to Weymouth via Bruton and Castle Cary

2 coaches from Yeovil

8 coaches will also replace the return 17.00 Weymouth to Bristol Temple Meads service.

We apologise for the delays that this will add to your journeys.

ENDS

You have been warned. Shame because its looking like it might be one of the best Saturdays of the summer weatherwise. This extra service really hasnt had much success what with poor publicity and weather and now non availability of stock.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2007, 07:19:49 »

I am glad - VERY glad - that I didn't accept Andrew Griffith's advice to run our Melksham to Weymouth day out using the loco-hauled train today.  Would have been a disappointment before it even started!

We're going tomorrow - 08:15 from Melksham (coach to Westbury) then 09:00 train onwards, and back at 18:00 from Weymouth by train all the way to Melksham arriving 19:50.

Adults - 14.50, Children 5.00, including coach.  Please email me (graham@wellho.net) if per chance you want to grab a last minute ticket.   Closing at 15:00 today!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Scooby

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2007, 11:22:28 »

The Weymouth loco hauled train will NOT run again this year due to various disputes :<

Also loco hauled additionals for Dawlish carnival next week cancelled.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2007, 11:39:12 »

Goodness ....

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2007, 16:20:15 »

"The 08:34 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth due 11:03 and 17:47 Weymouth to Bristol Temple Meads due 20:04 are cancelled on Saturday 11 and 18 August due to contractual issues." (link below.)
http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=1589

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2007, 17:47:05 »

"The 08:34 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth due 11:03 and 17:47 Weymouth to Bristol Temple Meads due 20:04 are cancelled on Saturday 11 and 18 August due to contractual issues." (link below.)
http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=1589
There are many unreapeatable things I could say about this but I think TOTAL SHAM from start to finish sums it up nicely.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2007, 21:50:18 »

The Weymouth loco hauled train will NOT run again this year due to various disputes :<

Also loco hauled additionals for Dawlish carnival next week cancelled.
More info on the withdrawal of these services from Railwaycentre.com:

http://www.therailwaycentre.com/UK%20News%20August%2007/100807_FGW.html

Although FGW (First Great Western) were very keen to announce support with extra trains between Bristol and Weymouth on Summer Saturdays and a shuttle service for this years Dawlish Carnival air show on 16 August, no official announcement has been made that these services have been withdrawn due to safety case issues.

Information from a senior member of the FGW team told TRC that the loco hauled extra services scheduled to operate on 4, 11, 18 and 25 August between Bristol and Weymouth and return have all been withdrawn, a service will either be provided by some DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) stock or buses.

On 16 August FGW were to operate a 'top and tail' loco hauled shuttle between Exeter and Newton Abbot for the Dawlish Carnival air display, but this too has been withdrawn, although at 17.00 today (Friday 10 August) the FGW website still shows these trains as running.

ENDS
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2007, 09:59:08 »

I have the sneaky feeling that FGW (First Great Western) DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains) NOT WANT THIS TO HAPPEN in the first place.

1. No advertising of the service until 48 hours before it was due to start.

2. Using and depositing a 3 car 158 at Weymouth to lanquish all day there from the 0804 service from Bristol on the first day of operation of the T&T 67's service and thus provide a 5-car unit combo on the 1721 ex Weymouth to Bristol up service.

3. On the first day of operation directing all passengers arriving at Weymouth for a service to Bristol to the 1721 service for which the inbound unit to mate up with the 158 which had enjoyed a lazy day sat in the sunshine in Weymouth's platform 1 was known to be 20 minutes late. When the unit did arrive, the T&T 67's left first, on time and thus picked up the passengers en route who were waiting for the delayed 1721 service. This, the 1721 service, was then declared, so I was informed by the TM(resolve) on the T&T 67s the last time it ran, a failure at Weymouth.

The cause of the abrupt halting of this service has been reported as a safety case issue, FGW has no safety case for operating 67's.

FGW ARE NOT operating this service, EWS (English Welsh & Scottish Railway Ltd, now known as DB Schenker Rail (UK (United Kingdom))) are operating the service under contract to FGW and surely THEY have a safety case for the 67's, after all they move HMQ and all and sundry around the nation in her personal rolling stock.

If the safety case issue involves the use of 6 coaches on this service which is too long for some of the platforms served, surely all stations served can command grandfather rights as none of the stations served are of recent build. If this happened to be the reason then why not simply reduce the length of the train to 4 carriages, but that is probably a tad too simple for FGW.

And what about the passengers who have booked tickets on this service and have or are now affected by this fiasco.

If I were a passenger with a booked ticket on this service and was shunted onto a coach, I would certainly be looking for a full refund. If I WANTED to travel by coach I would have booked on National Express and would probably have paid much less for a family to travel than by this Farcical Company.

I travelled on this service on the first day of operation, I also travelled on the service the last and as it now transpires the final occasion it operated. I reported my observations on coffee shop on the first day of operation, now for the last occasion.

The service ran pretty well much to time down to Weymouth and I did a rough count of passengers disgorged at Weymouth, about 180, about half full.

On the return service, if I recall, we were a few minutes late off of Weymouth but pretty well kept to the point to point running times. We had to wait at Yeovil Pen Mill for the down service, and consequently were a few more minutes down from there with an arrival at BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) about 10 minutes behind schedule, It didn't really matter to me as it was such a pleasant journey.

A rough count of passengers on the train between Weymouth and Dorchester West was 130.

As FGW have completely loused up this operation, I will report an incident that happened on the return journey on the 28th July as a result of this louse up.

A woman accompanied by four teenage girls boarded the train at Weymouth and found the train manager who was sat behind and on the opposite side of the aisle to me. She requested that the train be stopped at Yetminster. The train manager was flummuxed. We dont stop at Yetminster he replied. Oh yes you do replied the woman, there it is in the timetable, x stops on request. Ah replied the TM and looked at this timetable which was the printed HEART OF WESSEX partnership line published pamplet. I waded in at this point with my copy of the official FGW Timetable and pointed this out to him that this was also the notes in the offical timetable. Ah noted the TM both these timetables quote the Weymouth departure as 1749, BUT there is not a 1749 departure, we are the 1747 departure, you should have caught the 1721 departure my dear. I pointed out to the TM that there in no 1721 in either timetable. The EWS TM then contacted FGW control and explained the situation who as one would suspect, knew nothing of this cock-up and agreed to the train calling at Yetminster, but the driver had a different idea, NO, the train was too long for the platform, not withstanding that it was also too long for at least one other platform served by the service, Bradford-on-Avon.

The solution for this party was therefore to stay on the train until Yeovil Pen Mill and return to Yetminster on the down service which we would pass there, and which would be held for them.

I have since 28/07/2007 obtained a copy of the credit card size line timetable (E8) which also DOES NOT include the 1721 Saturdays Weymouth - Bristol service but a 1749 Weymouth - Bristol with request stops as per the pocket timetable E at Chetnole, Yetminster and Thornford, and also scheduled stops at Oldfield Park and Keynsham which the T&T 67's did not stop at.  

An amusing incident happened on the morning journey to Weymouth. A middle aged couple from Gloucester, the flooded city decided they would get away from it for the day and decide to have an awayday to Weymouth. Well about two minutes before the train left the man of this couple decide he wanted a morning newspaper and left the train. As we started moving his wife exclaimed where is he as we passed him just coming back through the barriers at BTM. Mobile phone contact was established between the two and I told her to stay on the train to Weymouth and tell her husband she would wait on the platform there for him as the next train to Weymouth left BTM at 0904. FGW front line staff at BTM had another idea however, get the next fast train to Taunton and connect there for a train to Castle Cary which would arrive there, Castle Cary, nine minutes before the Weymouth service, and wonders of wonders it so transpired and a romantic reunion took place. However the wifes travails were not over, at Westbury a RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) boarded and when asked for her ticket the woman had to explain the situation and that the ladies husband HAD the tickets in HIS pocket. With a look of, well I've heard some stories of why passengers havent got a ticket but this one takes the biscuit, on the face of the female RPI I interceeded and said I would vouch for the ladies story as did another passenger and the RPI retreated. It later transpired that the man relied upon his mobile phones clock for the time and therefore he decided he had time to get off the train at BTM and get a newspaper, the trouble was his mobile phone was 10 minutes slow, he-he.

AS an aside to this aborted service operation, I was informed at least two months before this operation commenced that IT WOULD HAPPEN. The original intention, from the information given to me, was that it would operate Mondays - Saturdays. This would release resources, FGW crew and rolling stock, to be used elsewhere in the peak summer holiday period. The operation would use crews from St. Blazey in Cornwall who already signed the route from Bristol to Castle Cary but would require to learn the road from Castle Cary to Weymouth and also attend and pass a short safety course on working on third rail electfied lines. As it was eventually decided not to run Mondays to Fridays but Saturdays only this arrangement would have proved not cost effective so Bristol/Westbury crews were used for what has now transired to be such a short period of operation although the TM was, again from memory, from Hertfordshire and had recently been acting as a TM on the special services provided for the Golf Open Championship in Scotland, and was booked to do all the trips involving this service and does these duties on an ad hoc basis for EWS being a retired ex-employee.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 20:39:42 by martyjon » Logged
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2007, 10:49:11 »

Thanks Marty for a good and informative report on what has been a very fustrating situation which, with a bit of planning, could have been a big success both for passengers who use this line and for FGW (First Great Western) who should have replaced some of their original scheduled services with the loco and coaches and run it Mon-Sat.

I hope that FGW have learned lessons from running this service this
year and can make improvements for next summer by starting to make
plans now. It can be done if they really want to, just needs proper planning.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2007, 13:17:01 »

I hope that FGW (First Great Western) have learned lessons from running this service this
year and can make improvements for next summer by starting to make
plans now. It can be done if they really want to, just needs proper planning.

The improvment planned for next year will probably be not to bother, to rely on coaches again and if the coaches fail blame it on the coach operator.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2007, 13:33:21 »

Martyjon,  Many thanks for that full report - it makes very interesting reading to put it mildly.  I find myself wondering if we could / should encourage anyone to put "official" views on things suhc as this.  Anyone had any replies to questions about the service from FGW (First Great Western)?

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2007, 14:23:16 »

Martyjon,  Many thanks for that full report - it makes very interesting reading to put it mildly.  I find myself wondering if we could / should encourage anyone to put "official" views on things suhc as this.  Anyone had any replies to questions about the service from FGW (First Great Western)?
I did email them when they announced this extra service just before it started suggesting it run on scheduled Monday to Saturday services but heard nothing back sadly Grahame.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: