22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 12:20:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[191] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[114] access for all at Devon stations report
[75] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[46] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[13] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[9] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25
  Print  
Author Topic: Newquay and Plymouth Airports - their rise and fall - ongoing discussion  (Read 106078 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2008, 19:58:54 »

There's a fairly major spat over this, with a lot of name-calling:

Ryanair has described Cornwall County Council as "Keystone Cops" over its handling of Newquay Airport and has cancelled its services from 1 December.  All airlines' flights have been stopped for three weeks in December because of a delay in gaining an aviation licence.  Ryanair said the situation had "descended into farce".

Cornwall County Council, which owns the airport, had been due to take over air traffic operations from the RAF (Royal Air Force) on 1 December.  But as the Civil Aviation Authority did not grant it a licence it has had to cancel all flights in and out until 19 December.

Ryanair spokesman Stephen McNamara said: "It is simply unacceptable that Ryanair and its passengers are given just four days notice of the closure of Newquay Airport for the month of December.  We will now have to contact thousands of passengers over the coming days - many of whom will be abroad and will be unable to travel back to Newquay - and tell them that the airport has been closed due to the incompetence of Cornwall County Council and the unwillingness of the RAF to keep the airport open for a couple of weeks."

Ryanair said it had "no alternative" other than to cancel all Newquay flights from December "until further notice".

See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/7752446.stm  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2008, 20:27:56 »

I'd say that's the pot calling the kettle black. Why? Well Ryanair recently pulled out of Valencia at 11 days notice, because they couldn't reach agreement with the airport over subsidies, leaving thousands of passengers flying on holiday with accommodation booked and no flight, just because of a long running commercial dispute.

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news.php?yr=08&month=oct&story=gen-en-241008

I can't understand how an airline is able to get away with treating its customers like that given the financial commitments that people willl clearly be making in conjunction with their flight bookings. 

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2008, 22:13:28 »

I can't understand how an airline is able to get away with treating its customers like that given the financial commitments that people willl clearly be making in conjunction with their flight bookings. 

Perhaps because airline companies don't have franchise commitments; they don't have ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) or DfT» (Department for Transport - about) breathing down their necks; they can pick and choose what services they offer, and when?

It's not just Ryanair: I have been let down badly by Air South West on three occasions in the past, travelling home from Manchester to Bristol - and frankly, they couldn't have cared less.

So now I travel to Manchester and back by XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) - even a Voyager is preferable to the cavalier attitude of the airline companies.

Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2008, 20:14:37 »

An update, from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Cornwall County Council has "seriously damaged" the county's image over the Newquay Airport fiasco, says an MP (Member of Parliament).
Mark Prisk, Conservative Shadow Minister for Cornwall, spoke after the airport was closed until 19 December.
The council, which owns the airport, had been due to take over air traffic operations from the RAF (Royal Air Force) on 1 December.
But as the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA» (Civil Aviation Authority - about)), which is responsible for safety, did not grant it a licence it has had to cancel all flights in and out.
It is believed about 209 departures and 7,000 passengers could be affected by the temporary closure.

See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/7753918.stm

Video report: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7755098.stm
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 20:16:25 by chris from nailsea » Logged

smokey

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2008, 21:11:34 »

I heard on the Radio today that the Last time an Airfield closed when transfered from the Military to Civilian operation it was SHUT for 3 years.

WE CAN ONLY HOPE!!

Lets hope it takes EVEN longer.
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2008, 21:37:55 »

Because there is no cheaper alternative, and it will damage any airport they do it to. Hence why the majority of them back down and sort there problems out.

That and they can quite easily afford to, having around ^2bn in the bank
John R

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2008, 21:42:14 »

I was thinking more in lines of the contractual position. There is something called the Unfair Contracts Act, which is designed to protect consumers from this sort of attitude. Cancelling thousands of passengers flights (ie breaking the contract between the individual and the company) becauses the company's had a disagreement with an airport strikes me as unfair. 
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2008, 22:40:50 »

A good point, John - and the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) report does say,

The county council is laying on transport back to Newquay for passengers diverted to other airports because of the closure, at a cost which is expected to run into thousands of pounds.

Mr Mitchell said: "We have independently and without obligation decided to get those people back home to Cornwall."

The council is not ruling out legal action to recover its costs.

Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 22:43:21 by chris from nailsea » Logged

smokey

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2008, 11:45:33 »

I was thinking more in lines of the contractual position. There is something called the Unfair Contracts Act, which is designed to protect consumers from this sort of attitude. Cancelling thousands of passengers flights (ie breaking the contract between the individual and the company) becauses the company's had a disagreement with an airport strikes me as unfair. 

But then when an airline has ^2billion in the Bank can you afford to take them on.

I'll never be happy flying, it's bad for the Planet, and secondly planes are built almost on Breaking strain, one bolt holding a wing on breaks and it's very likely the whole wing will fall off shortly after!
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2008, 14:08:41 »

I'll never be happy flying, it's bad for the Planet, and secondly planes are built almost on Breaking strain, one bolt holding a wing on breaks and it's very likely the whole wing will fall off shortly after!

because if that was the case, they'd defiantly be allowed to fly  Roll Eyes

Your average short range passenger jet costs $50-100mil, and a long range jet costs $200-400mil for a reason. They're built with many fall-back systems, and are incredibly structurally sound. Why you think if 1 bolt goes the whole thing goes i don't know...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 14:16:01 by Shazz » Logged
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2008, 21:00:35 »

Your average short range passenger jet costs $50-100mil, and a long range jet costs $200-400mil for a reason. They're built with many fall-back systems, and are incredibly structurally sound. Why you think if 1 bolt goes the whole thing goes i don't know...
smokey is generally full of crap  Wink
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2008, 01:00:34 »

smokey is generally full of crap  Wink

You make it sound like i hadn't noticed Wink
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2008, 13:21:51 »

Smokey may not be so far off the mark. I know an aero engineer. He never flys his own airline.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2008, 14:37:50 »

Passengers who will be affected by the temporary closure of Newquay Airport in Cornwall may be able to get compensation from the local council.

Up to 7,000 passengers face having to travel to and from other south west airports when Newquay closes at midnight for three weeks.

The council said it would consider "legitimate" compensation claims.

See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/7757172.stm

smokey

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2008, 16:27:02 »

Smokey may not be so far off the mark. I know an aero engineer. He never flys his own airline.

Re: If one bolt breaks the wing falls off, I was told that by an Aircraft engineer who works for a steam railway.
Ok it might be more truthful to say IF 2 bolts break the wing falls off.

I only know that this engineer NEVER flys.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25
  Print  

Jump to: