Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:51 Evesham to Oxford
Short Run
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Delayed
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:23 Par to Newquay
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 19:18:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[144] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[100] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[88] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[78] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[53] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25
  Print  
Author Topic: Newquay and Plymouth Airports - their rise and fall - ongoing discussion  (Read 106114 times)
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2008, 16:58:43 »

Smokey may not be so far off the mark. I know an aero engineer. He never flys his own airline.

if that's the case, then his airline shouldn't be flying Wink

Oh and i know a number of Engineers/ workers for Airbus. And suffice to say i know it takes substantially more than 2 bolts to fall off for a wing to go Wink
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 17:00:19 by Shazz » Logged
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2008, 18:50:39 »

"A decision to close Newquay Airport was difficult but responsible, the Civil Aviation Authority has said."

For the full article, see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/7757954.stm

Also video report, at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7759041.stm

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2008, 19:39:10 »

Local news reporting that it may not reopen until at least January.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2008, 19:50:50 »

2009?   Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2008, 20:03:04 »

Grin

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2008, 21:54:45 »

FGW (First Great Western) now have the perfect opportunity to promote their new enhanced Newquay service, whic, incidently, commences with the new timetable! I always remember GNER (Great North Eastern Railways)'s classic advert in a national newspaper at the time when everything was grounded at Heathrow due to fog, it went something "why do people fly to Scotland?...... We haven't the foggiest!"
John R

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2008, 23:00:02 »

Though even with the new timetable you can only have 3 1/2 hours in London on a day trip.

I notice that two of the Newquay trains are timed to depart at exactly the same time as the service from Par arrives. Obviously the 3 or 4 minutes recovery time in the arriving service provides the buffer but I don't ever recall seeing that in a public timetable before. (Cue flood of examples to prove me wrong....)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2008, 21:56:08 »

"Newquay Airport closed for Christmas"

See BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) video report at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7768539.stm

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2008, 23:11:04 »

Though even with the new timetable you can only have 3 1/2 hours in London on a day trip.

I notice that two of the Newquay trains are timed to depart at exactly the same time as the service from Par arrives. Obviously the 3 or 4 minutes recovery time in the arriving service provides the buffer but I don't ever recall seeing that in a public timetable before. (Cue flood of examples to prove me wrong....)

Not sure about trains arriving and departing at a terminus at the same time, but when the line from Ruabon to Barmouth via Llangollen the timtable entry for Bala showed you departed before you arrived!
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2008, 11:02:54 »

Another reason the Night train is so important for Cornwall. Cheesy

You can arrive London 05.41 (leaving Newquay 21.25)

or Leave London 23.45 arrive Newquay 07.44.

thats a long time in London if you take the Starlight Express both ways Grin
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2008, 11:12:46 »

Smokey may not be so far off the mark. I know an aero engineer. He never flys his own airline.

Completely irrelevent but I heard from an aero engineer that I know that Boeing have decided to transport their partially complete Dreamliner jets between factories by air rather than rail as they have done with previous models.

The reason behind this decison is that whilst being transported accross redneck teritory in the southern states the locals would take pot-shots at the fusulage and wing sections on the slow moving freight wagons.  If these parts were made of aluminium alloy Boeing could patch the bullet holes fairly easily, but the dreamliner uses composite materials that are not so easily patched so they have to go by air.  British train drivers should be grateful that they don't regularly have idiots shooting at their cargo for sport!
woody

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2008, 13:31:29 »

Newquay Airport: Ryanair suspends flights until March
Ryanair has suspended its Newquay service to and from Stansted until March, the company announced today.

The low-cost airline blamed the decision on Cornwall County Council's inability to confirm a date when Newquay Airport will re-open.http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/homepagenews/Newquay-Airport-Ryanair-suspends-flights-March-2009/article-540967-detail/article.html

However BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) South West news said this morning that starting from February Exeter based Flybe is planning to introduce a 3 times daily Newquay/Gatwick service in direct competition with Air Southwests existing 5 times daily Newquay/Gatwick flights.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2008, 00:22:52 »

Newquay Airport: Ryanair suspends flights until March
Ryanair has suspended its Newquay service to and from Stansted until March, the company announced today.

The low-cost airline blamed the decision on Cornwall County Council's inability to confirm a date when Newquay Airport will re-open.http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/homepagenews/Newquay-Airport-Ryanair-suspends-flights-March-2009/article-540967-detail/article.html

However BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) South West news said this morning that starting from February Exeter based Flybe is planning to introduce a 3 times daily Newquay/Gatwick service in direct competition with Air Southwests existing 5 times daily Newquay/Gatwick flights.
Ryanair are a bunch of to*sers anyway, they really don't give a flying f*ck about their customers at the best of times!
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2008, 06:59:48 »

Would that be a low cost flying f*ck at all? Grin
woody

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2008, 09:30:32 »

Just for interest Flybe fares will start from ^29 one way under cutting the current Air Southwest offering by ^10.Needless to say Air South West are not happy about Cornwall County Council letting in Flybe at Newquay.With 7 or 8 daily flights from Newquay to Gatwick from mid February one wonders what effect this will have on railway business from Cornwall given that the number of intermediate station stops on many Penzance/Paddington services is now mind boggling.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25
  Print  

Jump to: