Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningDelayed
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 00:27:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[101] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[87] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[32] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[31] access for all at Devon stations report
[19] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[16] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Feedback for the 2009 Summer Timetable  (Read 9169 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 11:49:08 »

IMHO (in my humble opinion) ... it would be utterly logical for FGW (First Great Western) to provide an early Westbound service via the Berks and Hants

It has often struck me as disappointing as to just how late the first service leaves - 08:18 from Paddington, but of course there's no point in running a train (especially one which might need to be an addition to the fleet) if it's going to be carrying fresh air around.  Would it be an extra train? Would it load?

As far as I can see (but Tom may be able to see something I can't) it would need to be an extra set if it went all the way to Plymouth - but it could turn round, circa 7:15 to 7:30 at Taunton and take up the path of one of the whole series of trains which currently come up from Exeter and Plymouth at that point - a few minutes apart in some cases.  Connection at Taunton into a Cross Country train that gets stopped at Bristol rather than Plymouth overnight - or is that too much like co-operation?

Would it load?   Not magnificently, I suspect, but I'm always surprised by the number of people heading West from Newbury and Westbury ... who could certainly do with an earlier service.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2008, 15:21:48 »

Would it load?   Not magnificently, I suspect, but I'm always surprised by the number of people heading West from Newbury and Westbury ... who could certainly do with an earlier service.

grahame's question Would it load is very perceptive of teh treatment of rail against air and road. When a new runway or road is proposed it's just assummed that it will be used because growth will require it.

Rail travel is growing but somehow you have to prove a train will load before it's put in the timetable. The only way of decidng if an early train to the West would load is to run preferably with cheap advanced and day fares as it's against the flow.

However the danager is that such a train is put in teh timetable and gradually custom builds up but not to full and standing so teh next economy drive and off it comes (no demand!).

It's a bit like Melksham Wessex built up a reasonable service and patronage but because it wasn't full and standing all day the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) pulled the plug in the franchise spec.

That's the problem with rail as opposed to road or airports. "use it lose it". It's easy to not run a train, but nobody talks about closing an airport or digging up a motorway because it's not heavily used.

Although it will be interesting to see if Newquay airport survies BA» (British Airways - about)'s withdrawal (see other post). That will be a first an airport closing because of lack of traffic.
Hafren

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2008, 17:21:14 »

When considering an early train to Plymouth, does 'competition' with the sleeper need to be considered? If there's an early train, it would probably attract some people who might have used the sleeper before (or at least be seen in that light), and people looking at it from a cost point of view might see the sleeper as serving the same market. So the new service might be seen as duplicating the sleeper, making either the new train or the sleeper look less viable in the eyes of the bean counters, regardless of any potential growth?
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2008, 17:45:45 »

I think it would be of benefit to run an additional service to Penzance very early morning from Paddington ... perhaps something like this:

0503 London Paddington
0522 Slough
0540 Reading
0555 Newbury
0616 Pewsey
0635 Westbury
0652 Castle Cary
0717 Taunton
0730 Tiverton Parkway
0746 Exeter St Davids
0800 Newton Abbot
0813 Totnes
0840 Plymouth

or

0430 London Paddington
0449 Slough
0507 Reading
0522 Didcot Parkway
0541 Swindon
0555 Chippenham
0610 Bath Spa
0625 Bristol Temple Meads
0645 Weston-super-Mare
0705 Taunton
0718 Tiverton Parkway
0734 Exeter St Davids
0750 Newton Abbot
0803 Totnes
0830 Plymouth

How did you manage EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains)-NTA» (Newton Abbott - next trains) in 14 mins?HuhHuhHuhHuh
John R

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2008, 18:29:04 »

When considering an early train to Plymouth, does 'competition' with the sleeper need to be considered? If there's an early train, it would probably attract some people who might have used the sleeper before (or at least be seen in that light), and people looking at it from a cost point of view might see the sleeper as serving the same market. So the new service might be seen as duplicating the sleeper, making either the new train or the sleeper look less viable in the eyes of the bean counters, regardless of any potential growth?

In the past the sleeper was a viable option as a sleeper coach was detached at Plymouth, enabling passengers to rise at an acceptable time. However, the new franchise removed that facility, so unless business travellers can find something worthwhile to do between 0547 and their meeting, I suspect they will not find the option attractive.

So in fact you've highlighted that the lack of an early train is even more of a problem now.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2008, 18:43:46 »

Would it load?   Not magnificently, I suspect, but I'm always surprised by the number of people heading West from Newbury and Westbury ... who could certainly do with an earlier service.

grahame's question Would it load is very perceptive of teh treatment of rail against air and road. When a new runway or road is proposed it's just assummed that it will be used because growth will require it.

Rail travel is growing but somehow you have to prove a train will load before it's put in the timetable. The only way of decidng if an early train to the West would load is to run preferably with cheap advanced and day fares as it's against the flow.

However the danager is that such a train is put in teh timetable and gradually custom builds up but not to full and standing so teh next economy drive and off it comes (no demand!).

It's a bit like Melksham Wessex built up a reasonable service and patronage but because it wasn't full and standing all day the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) pulled the plug in the franchise spec.

That's the problem with rail as opposed to road or airports. "use it lose it". It's easy to not run a train, but nobody talks about closing an airport or digging up a motorway because it's not heavily used.

Although it will be interesting to see if Newquay airport survies BA» (British Airways - about)'s withdrawal (see other post). That will be a first an airport closing because of lack of traffic.

I agree, but roads are down graded every so often (e.g. M10 soon to be an A-road).
woody

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2008, 21:17:49 »

The draft crosscountry timetable for December 2008 shows a new "commuter" service departing Bristol at 06.42 arriving Plymouth 08.34 a bit too early though for a connection off a FGW (First Great Western) ex Paddington service I think.
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2008, 00:18:05 »

Yes my proposal would require an extra set... however.... see these timings instead:

0500 London Paddington (slightly more realistic timings)
0518 Slough
0535 Reading
0550 Newbury
0612 Pewsey
0632 Westbury
0642 Frome
0655 Castle Cary
0715 Taunton
0729 Tivvy Parkway
0745 Exeter St Davids
0805 Newton Abbot
0818 Totnes
0845 Plymouth
(insert some stations here)
1100 Penzance

1255 Penzance
1303 St Erth
1306 Hayle
1316 Camborne
1322 Redruth
1334 Truro
1351 St Austell
1358 Par
1405 Lostwithiel
1411 Bodmin Parkway
1424 Liskeard
1435 St Germans
1442 Saltash
1454 arr Plymouth
1500 dep Plymouth
1527 Totnes
1540 Newton Abbot
1600 Exeter St Davids
1616 Tivvy Parkway
1630 Taunton
1752 Reading
1822 London Paddington
John R

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2008, 07:15:44 »

The draft crosscountry timetable for December 2008 shows a new "commuter" service departing Bristol at 06.42 arriving Plymouth 08.34 a bit too early though for a connection off a FGW (First Great Western) ex Paddington service I think.

Ah, excellent news.  That's much more appropriate.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2008, 09:39:58 »

Yes my proposal would require an extra set... however.... see these timings instead:

0500 London Paddington (slightly more realistic timings)
0518 Slough
0535 Reading
0550 Newbury
0612 Pewsey
0632 Westbury
0642 Frome
0655 Castle Cary
0715 Taunton
0729 Tivvy Parkway
0745 Exeter St Davids
0805 Newton Abbot
0818 Totnes
0845 Plymouth
(insert some stations here)
1100 Penzance

1255 Penzance
1303 St Erth
1306 Hayle
1316 Camborne
1322 Redruth
1334 Truro
1351 St Austell
1358 Par
1405 Lostwithiel
1411 Bodmin Parkway
1424 Liskeard
1435 St Germans
1442 Saltash
1454 arr Plymouth
1500 dep Plymouth
1527 Totnes
1540 Newton Abbot
1600 Exeter St Davids
1616 Tivvy Parkway
1630 Taunton
1752 Reading
1822 London Paddington

15 minutes to get into Plymouth city centre give or take 5/10 minutes delay is a bit tight for a 9am start.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2008, 15:22:31 »

I agree, but roads are down graded every so often (e.g. M10 soon to be an A-road).

Maybe so but it's still a road and open 24/7, people will still use it irrespective of it's designation. The only thing they might do is slap a 60 or 50 mph restriction on it. However, that's not likely to deter many users.

But, you can only catch a train that runs so at present unless an earlier train to the West is provided you can't get to Plymouth any earlier in the day unless you drive or go by sleeper.
BPWuser

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2008, 22:02:11 »

How about a later last train from Bristol Temple Meads to Bristol Parkway during the week? 22.10 is not late enough. On Saturdays there is a 22.54, can this be added during the week?
woody

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2008, 22:26:33 »

Maybe so but it's still a road and open 24/7, people will still use it irrespective of it's designation. The only thing they might do is slap a 60 or 50 mph restriction on it. However, that's not likely to deter many users.

But, you can only catch a train that runs so at present unless an earlier train to the West is provided you can't get to Plymouth any earlier in the day unless you drive or go by sleeper.
Just out of interest the first Air South West flight of the day from Gatwick to Plymouth departs Gatwick at 09:05 and arrives in Plymouth at 10:10.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2008, 13:22:11 »

I've stated my off-peak ideas for Maidenhead before, but improvements could be made to the evening service with no investment and little impact on track capacity.

I think a better late evening service should be provided from London to Maidenhead/Twyford. Evening stopping trains out of Paddington are very popular especially for Maidenhead passengers - even though they have to endure journey times of 40 minutes.

This could be achieved, for example, by stopping the 22:21, 23:21 and 00:21 departures from Paddington at Maidenhead, and stopping the 22:48 and 00:21 departures at Twyford. Connections onto the Marlow/Henley branches could perhaps be jigged about a bit to provide connections where necessary?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2008, 08:52:48 »

Another badly needed 'quick win' is to strenghen the first up Cotswold Line service on Sunday mornings - the 09:01 Gt. Malvern to Paddington (Oxford 10:30) HAS to be a turbo as it's the back working of the last down train on Saturday evening, but as there isn't another train heading towards London on the Cotswold Line for another two hours it is usually full-and-standing from Oxford and ridiculously busy after Slough.

A 2-car (or preferably even a 3-car) should be waiting at Oxford for the 09:01 to attach to. There are PLENTY of spare units around at this time of the day, so there really is no excuse for putting the punters through that level of overcrowding every week.

Also, when a turbo has to sub a HST (High Speed Train) on a Sunday afternoon/early evening Up service (seemingly less common now thankfully) there should be appropriate contingencies to ensure it has to be a 3-car and there should again be a 2/3 car added at Oxford.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: