Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 21:38:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[145] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[109] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[93] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[92] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[57] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[34] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Ufton Nervet level crossing: incidents and discussions (merged topics)  (Read 90324 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2012, 14:31:05 »

From Newbury Weekly News

A TRAIN has collided with a motorbike on the Ufton Nervet level crossing today (Tuesday), leaving a man dead.

British Transport Police spokesman David Hodgson confirmed that a male motorbike rider had died after being hit by a train at the crossing at 1.10pm.

The crossing hit national headlines back in 2004 when seven people died.

Trains across the area have been delayed as a result of the incident, which is ongoing.

Buses are replacing trains between Reading and Newbury and Bedwyn, with journey times extended by up to 30 minutes until further notice.

More to follow.
chineseJohn

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2012, 16:11:09 »

reported as the 12:18 Paddington to Taunton service

81F
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2012, 16:25:26 »

The Daily Telegraph website has a picture  from the 2004 incident at Ufton Nervet, of an  HST (High Speed Train) with coaches derailed and at all angles. A bit crass, even by their standards.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/9282689/Ufton-Nervet-moped-rider-killed-after-collision-with-train-at-level-crossing.html
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2012, 16:28:21 »

No doubt they'll soon latch on to the fact the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) are investigating the recent incident when a train passed over the crossing with the barriers raised.  http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=9497.0
insider

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2012, 16:34:10 »

Information recieved from Source at Network Rail Control.

Driver of the train has confirmed that the AHB was working correctly with barriers down, as HST (High Speed Train) approached the mototcyclist went around the barriers for some reason he then tried to turn around and got his wheel caught by the rail head, no time to do anything else.

Minor damage to HST, parking brake was isolated on leading powercar and some damage to a few CDL (Central Door Locking) jumper cables.

EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2012, 17:45:04 »

From BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

Moped rider killed in Ufton Nervet level crossing crash

Seven people were killed in an accident in the same place in November 2004

British Transport Police (BTP (British Transport Police)) said the man was hit by the train at Ufton Nervet at about 13:10 BST.

It happened on the same stretch of track where a train derailed in 2004 when it hit a car parked at the crossing. Seven people were killed.

Rail services have been disrupted, with trains diverted and replacement buses running between Reading and Newbury.

The train involved in the latest incident was the 12:18 First Great Western service from Paddington to Taunton.

South Central Ambulance said the train driver was treated at the scene for minor injuries.

No-one else was injured.

The BBC understands the driver of the high-speed train said the automatic barrier at the level crossing was closed as the train approached.

BTP said early investigations appeared to show the level crossing equipment was in working order.

National Rail said journey times on the line would be extended by up to an hour and the delays were likely to continue until about 19:00 GMT.

In the crash in November 2004, seven people died and 130 people were injured.

There was another incident at the same spot in September last year, which was a near-miss between a train and a car.

From Reading Post/GetReading
Fatal collision at Ufton Nervet

Reports have been confirmed of a fatal collision at Ufton Nervet.

British Transport Police say the incident involved a scooter and a train. The rider, who is believed to be a man in his forties, has died. There are not thought to be any other injuries.

The collision happened in the Ufton Lane vicinity where there was a serious incident in 2004.

Witness Nick Harborne, of Canal Experience Limited, said: "I heard a big bang and a lot of braking.

"I heard someone say that the train had derailed but it was not on its side. I don't know what it collided with."

Mr Harborne who was at the Kennet and Avon Canal mending a canal boat at the time said the crash happened at about 1.15pm.

He said: "Before I left there were lots of sirens, ambulances and police cars."

Trains between Reading and Thatcham are delayed and could be cancelled at short notice, according to First Great Western spokesman James Davis.

He added: "There isn't a rail replacement service in place at the moment but we're doing all we can to provide a service.

"There is a limited service between Newbury and Bedwyn calling at Kintbury and Hungerford."

An statement (of sorts) made by Tony Lodge, British Transport Police: http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/story/2012-05-22/breaking-news-train-derailment/
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 19:05:49 by EBrown » Logged

I am no longer an active member of this website.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2012, 19:25:04 »

Itv initially reported the train derailed, is that incorrect, and then on the 1830 news reported it involved a freight train but showed pics of the train involved and it was a fgw hst, terrible reporting

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2012, 20:07:21 »

Itv initially reported the train derailed

No, they initially reported it as:
Reports coming in of a train derailment at Ufton Nervet in Berkshire
There is a difference between that and "A train has derailed"

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2012, 20:16:47 »

Itv initially reported the train derailed

No, they initially reported it as:
Reports coming in of a train derailment at Ufton Nervet in Berkshire
There is a difference between that and "A train has derailed"

Thats what their website says, the actual tv bulletin shortly after lunchtime said "a train has derailed"

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
animationmilo

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2012, 20:41:05 »

I am sorry to hear about this and all involved.

Was just wondering does anyone know the power cars on the set involved in the Ufton incident and Bristol Incident.
insider

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2012, 20:50:52 »

I am sorry to hear about this and all involved.

Was just wondering does anyone know the power cars on the set involved in the Ufton incident and Bristol Incident.

1C83 (Ufton Nervet Incident) formed of OC43
 41147  1st     
 41186  1st     
 40109  Std     
 42258  Std     
 42266  Std     
 42365  Std     
 44000  Std     

1L51 (Alderton Tunnel Incident) formed of OC55
 41065  1st     
 41089  1st     
 40104  Std     
 42221  Std     
 42062  Std     
 42068  Std     
 44022  Std     
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2012, 06:08:51 »

I seem to remember someone recently posting about NR» (Network Rail - home page) looking for volunteers to help educate youngsters in schools avout the dangers surrounding level crossings (if they are not used correcrly). Can anyone remind me of the link to that as I am local to this incident and would like to think aboit getting involved

I am limited to phone acceas to the forum at the momwnt which Ian why I am asking for help

Thanks

Dave
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2012, 07:20:40 »

BTP (British Transport Police) Statement (Also here on the forum)

British Transport Police call for volunteers to promote rail safety in schools across the country

British Transport Police (BTP) is calling on volunteers to join a new scheme designed to educate children and spread the message of rail safety in schools nationwide.

BTP and Network Rail, in their commitment to ensure passenger safety on the railway, are reaching out to children and young people as they look for volunteers to help drive the importance of rail safety into schools in Bangor, Croydon, Darlington, Exeter, Gloucester, Leeds, Newcastle, Nottingham, Plymouth, Reading, Shrewsbury, Swansea, Truro, and Woking.

The Network Rail Safety Reps Scheme works as a preventative tool aimed at primary school children with key safety advice that will be utilised immediately and as they increase their independent travel at secondary school.

Volunteers would be asked to approach schools that would benefit from software materials designed to provide comprehensive lesson plans on rail safety. They will also be expected to give support and guidance in using the software and assist with evaluating at the end.

Teresa Bedziejewski, BTP^s Volunteer Manager said: ^This is a fantastic opportunity for members of the public to help deliver the message of rail safety to children across the country.

^A small number of pupils will act as rail safety reps, helping other children in their class to learn how to stay safe on the railway through a range of different activities including quizzes and competitions, art activities, history and transport competitions, along with maintaining a notice board filled with messages aimed at all year groups.

^It is a far more exciting approach which gets children involved in the subject and allows them to take responsibility for their own learning.^

Liz Heading, Network Rail^s community safety manager, said: ^Safety is at the forefront of everything we do and these volunteers will play a key role in our work to tell young people about the dangers on the railway.

^We believe it is important to provide younger children with the information that will allow them to use the railway safely as they grow up. By empowering school kids to educate their friends and fellow pupils, we are encouraging them to take an active role in their communities.^

Teresa Bedziejewski continued: ^We are always looking to develop our volunteers, and we hope to expand this opportunity so that eventually, more experienced volunteers will be equipped to provide rail safety talks to other volunteers.^

For more information about the scheme and for becoming a volunteer with British Transport Police contact Teresa Bedziejewski on 020 7521 6321 or email: teresa.bedziejewski@btp.pnn.police.uk.

To download an application form please click here - http://www.btp.police.uk/about_us/btp_in_the_community/volunteer_with_btp.aspx

BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2012, 08:24:04 »

Many thanks for posting - an email to Teresa has been duly dispatched.
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2012, 12:00:37 »

Damage to the front of 43034

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: