13:18 Hereford to London Paddington
Delayed
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 11:56:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[127] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[48] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[41] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[41] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[34] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[30] Broadgage unwell.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Painting  (Read 11778 times)
John R

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2008, 22:15:53 »

I've been wondering for a while who was responsible for the shoddy painting job at Nailsea. Half finished, for weeks much of the station has been left in a matt green undercoat. There appears to be more green paint on the platform and stairs than where it should have been, and yellow lines are only painted half way across the step edges.

But today the answer has appeared on a poster put up on the platform. "I'm Neil, and I'm responsible for all the painting done at FGW (First Great Western) stations recently" (Or words to similar effect).

Well if FGW are proud enough of their Nailsea job to advertise their achievement then maybe they had better stick to running trains (where they are, it has to be said, making a reasonable fist of it these days)and not branch out into home improvements.     
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 22:36:58 »

Well, John, in the past, I've defended the people who've done painting at Nailsea & Backwell: see http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=1732 for example.

However, in this latest 'refresh', I have to say that I agree with you.  Alright, the weather may not have helped - but that doesn't excuse painting over, rather than around, the various signs fixed to the railings.  Fair enough, there's not much point in even having 'no smoking' signs at Nailsea, because nobody enforces them - but some of the safety announcement signs have similarly been obscured by green paint.

I'm sending an e-mail to the FGW (First Great Western) manager responsible for the station at Nailsea & Backwell, inviting her to visit and see for herself this shoddy workmanship.

Roll Eyes Huh

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Westernchallenger

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 17:49:20 »

Pewsey station and the steps leading up to the footbridge were re=painted at least a year ago. But the middle section over the tracks still remains to be done a year later when there has been an all-day Sunday possession of the line throughout the summer months when the work could have been finished. Meanwhile the paint has started to peel off the re-painted areas as it looks like the painters shortcut the sanding down process.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 20:11:26 »

I've had a look at that poster at Nailsea & Backwell: a cheerfully grinning 'Neil' tells us, "We go through thousands of litres of paint every year."

Hmmm.  Putting a bit more of it where it should be put, rather than just splashing it about, would be a better use for it.  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 21:48:20 by chris from nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 01:31:32 »

Neil is just one of the people doing painting, he is not necessarily the same person doing it at Nailsea.

We have the same ads at Paddington and at Reading, which show staff from various roles.

Will upload pics shortly.

Edit at 01:49:

http://www.iworkforfgw.com/railblog/index.php?month=sept08#1209080144
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 01:49:15 by Ollie » Logged
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 00:05:36 »

Thanks, Ollie  Wink !

Yes, the full size posters that have appeared at Nailsea & Backwell, and Bristol Temple Meads (and no doubt elsewhere!) do make it clear that 'Neil' is 'Station Painting Supervisor' for FGW (First Great Western).  However, they also claim that 'Thousands of people admire his handiwork every day at FGW stations ...'   Roll Eyes

I'd like to extend a cordial invitation to 'Neil', and the FGW manager responsible for Nailsea & Backwell station, to visit our station and perhaps justify such 'admiration' for the standard of painting.

Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 09:42:10 »

More on the posters from the I Work For FGW (First Great Western) blog (link below.)
http://www.iworkforfgw.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=130&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 22:02:05 »

Another poster has now appeared on the platform at Nailsea & Backwell - this time on our new 'Community Noticeboard', and from the Severnside Community Rail Partnership.

It announces several improvements that are being / will be made at the station - including the repainting.  After explaining that the painting has been delayed by the weather (which is fair enough!) it goes on to say that, "where necessary, paint spills will be cleaned up and signs replaced."

Hmmm.  My point remains that, if the paint had been applied a bit more carefully in the first place, it wouldn't be necessary for someone else to tidy up after 'Neil' by trying to remove numerous splashes of green paint from all over the platforms - nor to replace perfectly good signs, which should have been protected by a bit of masking tape while he was apparently waving his paint brush about so energetically!

Roll Eyes

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 22:14:01 »

However, using contractors, rather than in-house staff, would probably be no better: see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/7621769.stm

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

John R

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 22:48:18 »

Yes, a very welcome notice, both it's existence, and some of the news within it. Though it confirmed my suspicion that the painting had been done by community service workers rather than trained painters. Hmm, well if you try and do the job on the cheap you get what you pay for.

But the good news is that the car park is to be relined to provide more spaces, and that our new man will be trained to sell tickets. Hooray! Someone is listening.

What with all that and our very own nostalia trip every morning on the 0846, things are looking up for N&B.
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 16:36:05 »

There is a Double Standard at FGW (First Great Western) when it comes to Painting, Neil is one of the FGW IN-HOUSE painters, they have painted Exeter St David's to a very fine standard.
So good that a tatty battered old door looks brand new, a bit of filler, a good undercoat and two top coats and that old door is going to look good for years.

Then there are Contract painters, according to the "EXPERTS" who put together the mess of a Railway we now have, Contractors are better and cheaper.

St Erth has been painted by contractors, who got in, slapped paint over all the place and said "FINISHED"
FGW took one look, ordered the work to be done again so ANOTHER contractor has repainted St Erth again, however like the paint job at Nailsea work has stopped, rumour has it because of D & A offences.

It was planned to repaint St Erth in Great Western Chocolate & Cream, but St Erth is a Listed building and such Colours are only premitted IF IT CAN BE SHOWN that Chocolate & Cream is a Historically Correct colour.

So as NO ONE in FGW had the Wisdom to prove this, St Erth has been repainted in the Historic Colours of "SOUTH WALES AND WEST TRAINS"

WONDERFUL  Huh  Roll Eyes
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 21:03:01 »

So as NO ONE in FGW (First Great Western) had the Wisdom to prove this, St Erth has been repainted in the Historic Colours of "SOUTH WALES AND WEST TRAINS"

WONDERFUL  Huh  Roll Eyes

Yes I must admit I had a little chuckle when  Arriva Trains Wales repainted Cardiff Central in the historically correct colours of green and ivory as senn in the original Greater Western franchise ! Grin
TheLastMinute

This really isn't worth reading.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 03:30:22 »

What with all that and our very own nostalia trip every morning on the 0846, things are looking up for N&B.

Don't get too used to it John - according to the FGW (First Great Western) journey planner, that service isn't going to call at Nailsea nor Yatton in new timetable.  Angry
John R

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 08:50:31 »

Well it's a history of being missed out from published timetables since it was introduced. So I live in hope. Though I've always understood that the HST (High Speed Train) was a short term measure whilst the Sheffield work is being carried out and they will go onto their planned services from December.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 12:25:07 »

From Decemeber, the first HST (High Speed Train) north from Bristol will be 1528
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: