09:52 London Paddington to Hereford
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
13:18 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 11:20:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[114] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[55] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[47] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[46] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[38] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[34] Broadgage unwell.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol Train Drivers Urged To Move To Australia  (Read 10168 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: September 08, 2008, 22:28:44 »

Train drivers in the Bristol area are being urged to apply for jobs in Western Australia on salaries of up to ^52,000 a year (link below.)
http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/news/Bristol-train-drivers-urged-make-tracks-Oz/article-307973-detail/article.html

The Australian Railroad Group (ARG) has placed an advertisement in the Evening Post seeking locomotive drivers because there is a shortage of skilled workers.

A spokesman for Prior Recruitment, the firm recruiting for ARG, said Bristol had been targeted because of the rail freight depot in Barton Hill.

He said there were as many as 30 vacancies for locomotive drivers with at least five years' experience willing to work a minimum of a 40-hour week.

Interviews will take place in Bristol and Manchester at the end of October. Successful applicants can start as soon as their visas and medicals are completed.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 23:09:29 »

Well, there's an interesting comparison in the package offered in the UK (United Kingdom): see http://careersadvice.direct.gov.uk/helpwithyourcareer/jobprofiles/profiles/profile367/

"What salary and other benefits can I expect?

Trainee drivers are paid around ^15,000 a year.
Qualified drivers can earn between ^25,000 and ^31,000 a year.
Experienced drivers can earn over ^35,000 a year.
Free or reduced price travel is usually offered as an extra benefit.

Figures are intended as a guideline only. "

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 08:37:10 »

It is not really surprisng Australian railways are experiencing a boom particualrly in freight.

With Standard Gauge now running to all the principle cities and the opening of the Ghan from Darwin to South Australia, Perth and Darwin have witnesssed an explosion in ship bourne containers being off loaded in their ports. These are taken by rail, often  double stacked on the wagons on very long trains with several diesel locos in mnultiple, to the major cities in the South East.

It saves days (money) with the ships not having to travel all round the coast to Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney. I read somewhere the dockers in Adelaide and Melbourne are very upset at the drop of in trade since the Ghan opened.

Still you probaly need to pay ^52K to drive 300 plus miles dead straight across a treeless desert.

Passenger traffic is largely confined to suburban services round the major cities. Chritian Wolmar in one of his columns didn't rate the Sydney suburban service very highly.
bemmy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 11:52:56 »

Great. So we can expect even more cancellations due to staff shortages.  Angry

Not that I would criticise any driver for taking up the opportunity, it's not their fault things are as they are. Maybe we can entice some drivers from India to fill the gap.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 22:51:26 »

Not that I would criticise any driver for taking up the opportunity, it's not their fault things are as they are. Maybe we can entice some drivers from India to fill the gap.

From what I can see there are no shortage of workers in FGW (First Great Western) who want to become drivers, so I wouldn't have too many sleepless nights  Wink

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 22:56:59 »

things are as they are ??....please explain

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 06:23:26 »

From what I can see there are no shortage of workers in FGW (First Great Western) who want to become drivers, so I wouldn't have too many sleepless nights  Wink

The selection process for drivers can take a good while.   I am friendly with a trainee who applied in June 07 and started in June this year.  Admittedly, she came from outside the railway, but even so, I believe training lasts for 54 weeks.  ( The sheer weight of technical and other important info means that I won't be applying. Embarrassed )
bemmy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 17:33:12 »

things are as they are ??....please explain
It's not their fault that the wages are higher in Australia than here.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 19:22:46 »

Well, there's an interesting comparison in the package offered in the UK (United Kingdom): see http://careersadvice.direct.gov.uk/helpwithyourcareer/jobprofiles/profiles/profile367/

So a HSS (High Speed Services) driver can earn a whopping ^4k more than a 142 driver?  I was under the impression HSS drivers were on a lot more than ^35k ?

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 00:12:24 »

Passenger traffic is largely confined to suburban services round the major cities. Chritian Wolmar in one of his columns didn't rate the Sydney suburban service very highly.

Here is a related link.
http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/latest/5004942/rees-to-be-transport-mystery-shopper/

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
willc

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 12:06:36 »

I suspect the root of this is that ARG's drivers are all leaving to go to work in the north of Western Australia for the mining railways that transport iron ore to the coast for shipping to China.

Due to the demand for raw materials from China, the mines are running 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and drawing in labour from all over Australia, so I'm sure their rail operations are no different and sucking in all the loco drivers they can get to keep the trains running, so ARG is probably feeling the effects of that, hence the fishing trip to the UK (United Kingdom).

The Independent ran a story about the Aussie iron ore boom earlier this week, see

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/australasia/iron-man-move-over-murdoch--australia-has-a-new-supertycoon-923398.html

It says train drivers working for the mining lines are getting $150,000 AUS, that's about ^68,500 a year, and only half of Australia's submarine fleet is operational, because navy pay lags far behind what you earn in the mines.

Just in case you're tempted to join the rush, the downside is "This is one of the most inhospitable spots on the planet, where summer temperatures reach 45C"
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 12:23:00 by willc » Logged
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 15:17:11 »

I suspect the root of this is that ARG's drivers are all leaving to go to work in the north of Western Australia for the mining railways that transport iron ore to the coast for shipping to China.

Just in case you're tempted to join the rush, the downside is "This is one of the most inhospitable spots on the planet, where summer temperatures reach 45C"

It's also probably one of the most boring rail drives in the world straight across the desert.Get the train up to speed. The only thing you have to do is make sure you stop at the end of the line and presumably keep pressing the vigilance device to make sure you stay awake.
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 23:39:33 »

So a HSS (High Speed Services) driver can earn a whopping ^4k more than a 142 driver?  I was under the impression HSS drivers were on a lot more than ^35k ?

HSS are currently on around the upper ^39k mark at the moment as a basic wage. West are on ^34466 IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly).

Trundling gently round the SW
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: