14:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
27/04/24 15:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
17:43 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
18:12 Salisbury to Cheltenham Spa
18:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
19:13 Salisbury to Worcester Shrub Hill
Delayed
07:52 London Paddington to Great Malvern
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 20:57 Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 10:38:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[97] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW Fleet Status  (Read 6706 times)
Sprog

View Profile Email
« on: September 12, 2008, 18:41:52 »

3-car 'hybrid' 158952 has been returned to a 2-car unit as of today, due to its additional '57' car, 57748 (originally part of 158748) having a defective engine & requiring immediate warranty attention at SPM (St Philip's Marsh (Bristol depot)). Its is pressurising & burning it's coolant for some reason, probably due to a fractured cylinder head, cylinder liner or a defective compressor.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 13:32:40 by Sprog » Logged
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 18:44:05 »

Is 956 back out after some tw@t threw a brick at it?
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 18:52:22 »

yes
Sprog

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 22:37:32 »

3 people arrested for the attack, in which both the Secondman's side was shattered & the all of the laminates were penetrated in the centre of the Driver's side screen, showering the driver with glass shards. He was hospitalised & the train was taken out of service @ Southampton Central before being taken to SPM (St Philip's Marsh (Bristol depot)) to have the windscreens replaced. The windscreens have been retained as Evidence ... Snip - I have removed a sentence here as it could have been seen as predujicing any possible court proceedings, and thus placing this forum in contempt of court - Graham

As a result of the incident, FGW (First Great Western) are now examining fitting the 158s (and other DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) classes) with Anti-Spall windscreens, as fitted to HSTs (High Speed Train) & other more modern vehicles.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 11:14:47 by grahame » Logged
Sprog

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 15:05:19 »

Re. The attack on 158956 Interestingly/Oddly, i have since read that in fact, when attacked the cab that had its windows smashed was actually trailing (ie, on the rear of the train) & that the train was subsequently terminated at Southampton Central the driven back ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) to SPM (St Philip's Marsh (Bristol depot)) (instead of being reversed so it could be driven from the 'good cab', then go ECS to SPM via Chandlers Ford.

The 'smashed' cab was facing towards the West while it was being worked on at SPM, which means that both 'happenings' are possible, but can anyone shed any light on what actually happened? The hole in that windscreen was mighty big for one that was apparently caused by an object hitting it while the unit was heading away from the point of origin (aka, hands of oxgen wasters)

My report of things came from a mixture of word of mouth from Team Leaders who had spoken to Control, TRUST (Train Running System TOPS) incident log/delay attribution report and the BTP (British Transport Police) who attended to take statements & gather evidence etc.
Sprog

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 22:15:12 »

158950 has also gone to Wabtec Eastleigh for re-work. 158950 is formed of 158761, which was the first 158 to be 'refreshed' & this it was in effect the prototype. It will be brought up to the same standard/specification as the rest of the 158 fleet.
r james

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 23:14:50 »

What as different about the prototype 158 refresh on that unit?  I thought it just lacked tables on the baks of seats?  Anyone know what was significantly different to warrent redoing the whole thing?

Also, anybody know if the prototype HST (High Speed Train) carraige will ever get redone?  I ask, as this is the coach tha has got the red micky mouse ears (grab handle) on the seats, instead of the big pink ones as featured on rest of the fleet.  It also has a lot of issues with the underseat power sockets falling loose, and the plastic parts of the arm rests missing the plastic ends I have noticed.  Or do we just have to live with this now?  Or maybe will be done as part of the work when the new unit arrives? 
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 16:38:34 »

Don't think it has CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision)
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 19:45:12 »

Don't think it has CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision)

correct no cctv,old end lights and desk panels plus some other little things that need addressing.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 19:46:12 »

The whole fleet could do with being "addressed"!
Sprog

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 21:20:08 »

The whole fleet could do with being "addressed"!

Sorry??  Huh Please expand on that.

Almost the entire FGW (First Great Western) fleet has in the last 7/8 months been refreshed & many have recieved a mixture of C4 & C6 exams. We are +3 or 4 DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) almsot every day now.

Just the 150s to finish & the 143s to do now..................
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 21:36:13 »

I think it may be a reference to one of our busiest ever threads on this forum, Sprog - some while before your time on here, admittedly, but easily findable via the search option.

It was hotly debated amongst a number of our readers at that time that the FGW (First Great Western) HST (High Speed Train) refurbishment was arguably the "worst refurb ever". This isn't an opinion that I personally align myself with, I hasten to add.

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=2578.0
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 13:53:26 »

I was in fact referring to the state of the 158s externally. The front end for example. I appreciate the yellow surrounds around the light may wear off, but the half coated finish as many of them are looks awful!
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 15:35:46 »

I was in fact referring to the state of the 158s externally. The front end for example. I appreciate the yellow surrounds around the light may wear off, but the half coated finish as many of them are looks awful!

correct wabtec painted over the old yellow on screen and light surrounds with black,over time this has worn off making them look tatty.

the whole fleet will be having some items addressed that have came to light since refresh
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 10:54:58 »

correct wabtec painted over the old yellow on screen and light surrounds with black,over time this has worn off making them look tatty.

the whole fleet will be having some items addressed that have came to light since refresh

And hopefully somebody will see the light and fit the Liebherr type airconditioning to the ex TPex sets as well.

Trundling gently round the SW
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: