27/04/24 14:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
14:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
27/04/24 15:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
17:43 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
18:12 Salisbury to Cheltenham Spa
18:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
19:13 Salisbury to Worcester Shrub Hill
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 20:57 Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 11:01:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[97] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Train Etiquette..  (Read 3605 times)
johoare

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2008, 23:41:45 »

I hope this is the right place to post this.. But I travelled home tonight on some sort of HST (High Speed Train) (sorry I can differentiate a Turbo from an HST/Adelante but know no more than that!!)

I know that people on this forum in the past have berated (quite rightly) people taking up two seats (one for them, one for their bag!!).. However, if I get an intercity/HST/Adelante (which I am sometimes lucky enough to be priveleged to do), and there are aircraft type seats,  I tend to sit on the outside (aisle) of the two seats as I know it'll be first stop Maidenhead (where I get off).. This, to people getting on, isn't good etiquette as I am effectively blocking a seat... A seat which I am more than happy for anyone to sit in..

The reasoning behind this is because many a time in the past I've sat in the inside (window) seat and had someone st next to me and promply fall asleep (without wishing to be sexist.. it's always men do this!).. And then I don't know the best way to wake these people up so I can get off... (any advice on this would be good!!)...

So firstly I would love to know how to wake sleeping people up without scaring them (I've tried lots of things.. they are always scary!)... But also maybe some sort of pre-sleep etiquette could be introduced which I am also trying to think of (e.g. "I am sitting here, because I'm getting off at Maidenhead and didn't want to disturb your deep slumber to do so"... maybe?)...

Help?  Wink
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 07:04:42 »

I've employed the following approach with some success:

Sit initially in the window seat

As soon as the aisle seat becomes occupied, offer to swap before they get settled "because I am getting off at the next stop"

- the only time it didn't work for me was when the girl who sat there ("without wishing to sound sexist... it's always a girl") was so busy chatting on her mobile phone that I couldn't get a word in edgeways and we were already slowing for the next stop before I caught her attention.
argg

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 14:31:28 »

Personally, I see no problem initially sitting in the aisle seat, particularly if getting off at an early stop (in my case Twyford). After a polite request of "Excuse me, is that seat taken?" or "May I sit there?" I can usually establish who is getting off first and move over or stand up to let them in accordingly.

If there is any chance that the train will not fill up (slim chance, I know these days) then you end up with a double seat to yourself which is everyone's preferred option. (Anyone remember Ben Elton's "Double Seat" routine?)

As regards getting the attention of a sleeping neighbour - perhaps a (pretend?) phone call to a loved one along the lines of "Hello! I'm on the train! Just arriving at Maidenhead, see you in 10 minutes!" would do it  Wink

On another point: What is the etiquette for the centre arm rest?  It seems to me that it belongs to the person with the stongest elbows and least consideration for others who treats it as they would a favourite armchair, stretching out and extending way into the other persons space (or does that only happen to me?).  Yes, it's usually men and no, it's not sexist.

This also brings me on to the width and spacing of seats (particularly on "Turbos").  Who decided that all rail passengers must be size zero, never wear thick coats and have short legs? Angry Another post perhaps?
bemmy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 15:01:03 »

I really don't see what's wrong with waking someone up so you can get off the train..... it's never going to be pleasant for them, but they're not sprawled on the sofa at home, they're on a train.

Most people in this country are too damn polite......
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 19:02:37 »

Guard training suggests tapping forcefully on the table or adjacent window is a good ploy for waking 'sleepers'.  It always amazes me how quickly some folk drop into a coma, particularly when it is ticket time. Grin
jane s

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 18:07:15 »

Make sure you always sit next to someone rather than in an empty seat - that way you'll always have an aisle seat.....
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 23:46:19 »

Thanks, Jane - that's my tactic, too!

I usually only travel three stops each way - Nailsea & Backwell to Bristol Temple Meads, and back (journey time ten minutes) - so quite often I don't even try to find a seat!  If I do, I tend to choose an aisle seat - and nod a friendly but non-commital greeting to anyone sitting in the associated window seat.  On the basis that they're unlikely to want to leave the train between Nailsea and BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) (about six people do - and I know them all by sight!), I'm fairly safe in my assumption that I will be leaving the train before them!

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
gpn01

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 13:49:36 »

I always opt for an aisle seat on the turbos because the window seats have restricted legroom and were presumably designed for use by children.

Etiquette for waking up a fellow passenger ? Just say "excuse me please" loudly enough.

johoare

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 21:42:17 »

Thank you for your suggestions.. I'm still a bit concerned about trying to wake people up but will try harder.. I have seen passengers in the past have to climb out of the window seat and over the sleeping passenger after being unable to wake them up (not sure my legs are long enough for that!).. Cheesy

G.Uard's comment is so true though..  I was travelling home during the day a couple of weeks ago when the ticket inspectors came round.. The man sitting the other side of the aisle from me was supposedly fast asleep.. He took a fair amount of waking up, and, when he was awake, he had no ticket (as I guessed as soon as I saw him fall into a deep sleep on seeing the ticket inspector!!).. Wink
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 21:54:09 »

I believe that, in their training course, FGW (First Great Western) ticketing staff are instructed to make a particular point of checking the tickets of 'sleeping' passengers - for this very reason!  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 16:04:50 »

Mu usual line to the comatose is "If you don't waken up, I'm going to start checking you for a pulse..."

Sheer Class! I hope that one isn't copyrighted. Grin
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 17:12:58 »

If I were sleeping I wouldnt object to being woken up

Which is why I leave my ticket in full view on the table

Its amazing how may ticket checkers (not usually train managers but the inpection people) fail to see it there

Thats when I get annoyed

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
RdgwestAndy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 18:56:27 »

Having accidentally fallen asleep on trains many times (and always with a ticket I must add), I would appreciate being woken up more often (particularly late at night on the approach to Reading) to avoid expensive taxis usually from Swindon!

Not any guards/inspectors faults that I have fallen asleep I know, but sometimes announcements on the approach to stations on late night services could be a little louder maybe!

I apologise for taking this thread even further off topic...

Currently working for the infrastructure provider - in Basingstoke
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 19:13:38 »

In fact we were discussing at work only the other day that it might be a good idea for someone to set up a business for waking people (who want to be) up at their stops.. I'm sure it would be popular, particularly late at night.. Not sure the taxi drivers who profit from people missing their stops would appreciate it though..
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 19:23:59 »

No need for a business.

Just set the alarm on your Mobile phone (if you have one).

And before people moan - set it on silent and vibrate and put it in a chest pocket.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 17:31:58 by Btline » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: