Delayed
07:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Swansea
07:52 London Paddington to Great Malvern
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 09:05:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[125] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[65] access for all at Devon stations report
[41] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[15] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 25 Sept Mirage at Liskeard.  (Read 6389 times)
smokey

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2008, 14:30:15 »

It was a lovely morning at Liskeard, however Thunder Clouds rolled in for Passengers heading west with the News that the 09.48 Penzance service was CANCELLED, thanks Digital Doris.

However whilst some passengers went to give grief to the poor station staff, the staff could only state that TRUST (Train Running System TOPS) was saying the train was 4 minutes late off Saltash, and YES the Train appeared, stopped picked up some passengers dropped off others, and carried on it's way.

However passengers who took the Cancelled message a  bit more lightly were re-appearing at Liskeard station around 11.00 for the Next train the 11.07.

It's bad enough to cancell a train bit it takes real idiots in control to perform like this.

BRING BACK WESSEX.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 16:28:01 »

Looks like Dorris failed then, which was installed by Wessex!
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 16:50:44 »

Might have been installed by Wessex but the wrong infomation wasn't fed to it by Wessex
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 16:56:43 »

CIS (Customer Information System) sometimes goes wrong, it's fact of life.

I've been on the SWT (South West Trains) network when the CIS displayed that the station must be evacuated. On speaking to the staff at the station was told that there CIS control said it's a fault and was showing at all stations they cover.
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 20:33:23 »

Wessex aint comming back!!!!!.............get over it

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 20:50:22 »

Bring back Wessex? NO THANKS!!! constant short formed trains (well, they were booked to be short!!), pricey "cheap" day returns, crap uniform, didn't care about revenue protection, spent thousands sponsoring the weather but couldn't spend a few quid doing up the train crew messrooms, the same people who slag off FGW (First Great Western) now are the same ones who always moaned about Wessex.
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 10:52:32 »

Looks like Dorris failed then, which was installed by Wessex!

Theres loads of odd problems being thrown up by the automated CIS (Customer Information System). For example every train that runs off the Barny line into Exeter St Davids gets greeted with 'Please stand clear, the next train is not scheduled to call at this station' unless somebody rapidly overrides the system manually.

Trundling gently round the SW
bemmy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 12:44:18 »

That reminds me of the time a few months back when I was getting a train back from Weston-super-Mare, the all stations service to Parkway. Suddenly the train PA (Public Address) system played a selection of old announcements, including a promise that there was a trolley service of light refreshments. It was nice to know that Wessex Trains' priority is still our safety, 18 months after they lost the franchise.  Grin

It shows how much attention the passengers pay to these things, that no-one else in the carriage smiled or batted an eyelid at these surreal announcements, or even asked the guard when the catering trolley would come.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 14:10:16 »

last sunday on a swt from honiton to paignton automated message as we pull into torquay next stop paignton this is our final stop .... quite a few people got off in error was funny
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 16:00:23 »

The best one I ever saw was in the early days of the Thames Trains system about 10 years ago, which, to this day, is still confusing passengers and hindering the efforts of staff that it should be helping!

I forget the time, but early one morning at Oxford it was showing a train being CANCELLED. The train in question... an MGR to Didcot Power Station! The screens were apologising for the inconvienience, but as far as I know Thames Trains stopped short of providing any stranded lumps of coal with a replacement taxi! Grin

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
r james

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 17:23:14 »

What causes it to go wrong?  Surely something triggers the wrong message to be played?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2008, 19:11:48 »

What causes it to go wrong?  Surely something triggers the wrong message to be played?

There are all sorts of interfaces with other systems where things can (and often do) go wrong. Problems can be cause by inaccuracies in TOPS (Total Operations Processing System)/TRUST (Train Running System TOPS) reports of the train, inaccuracies in headcodes entered by signalling staff, failure of other lineside equipment which reports a trains location, inaccuracies in the base data that is uploaded from the train service database (especially in the event of service alterations). And when major delays hit the network inaccuracies and the inability of the scant number of human beings controlling it to keep up with things can also mean lots of errors.

Though how the hell it managed to display that coal train really has me mystified!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2008, 19:17:01 »

Erm ... I'm asking this as a complete novice on this subject, but would the coal train have had a headcode - that was perhaps entered wrongly by someone?  Embarrassed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2008, 19:51:30 »

Erm ... I'm asking this as a complete novice on this subject, but would the coal train have had a headcode - that was perhaps entered wrongly by someone?  Embarrassed

Yes - when they used to run regularly from british coalfields they were class 7's when full and class 6's when returning empty. Though if the system only recognises class 1 and 2 passenger trains even if it was entered wrongly and happened to be another passenger trains headcode then it should have displayed that train rather than the freight train.

Like I say it was in the early days and I'm sure several patches have been applied to the software since, BUT it remains a fact that as soon as disruption hits a certain level, these automated systems really struggle to cope.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 20:51:48 »

Thanks, IndustryInsider!  Grin

It does still happen, though!

At BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) one evening, a couple of weeks ago, there were various platform changes, and 'Digital Doris' cut in with a pre-recorded announcement at one stage.  As her 'words of wisdom' directly contradicted what the excellent male station announcer had just told us passengers waiting on platform 8, she was cut off in mid-announcement - we could almost hear our live announcer muttering 'oh-for-goodness-sake!' - as he reiterated his earlier (correct) announcement!

Roll Eyes Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: