07:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Swansea
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
07:52 London Paddington to Great Malvern
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 08:10:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[69] access for all at Devon stations report
[44] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[16] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: 25 Sept Mirage at Liskeard.  (Read 6388 times)
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2008, 21:12:33 »

Erm ... I'm asking this as a complete novice on this subject, but would the coal train have had a headcode - that was perhaps entered wrongly by someone?  Embarrassed

Yes - when they used to run regularly from british coalfields they were class 7's when full and class 6's when returning empty. Though if the system only recognises class 1 and 2 passenger trains even if it was entered wrongly and happened to be another passenger trains headcode then it should have displayed that train rather than the freight train.

Like I say it was in the early days and I'm sure several patches have been applied to the software since, BUT it remains a fact that as soon as disruption hits a certain level, these automated systems really struggle to cope.

All Didcot powerstations are 6xxx Loaded and 4xxx empty
r james

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 07:54:19 »

I guess eventually,a more modern system will be used to identify the actual trains which are arriving etc.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 14:58:53 »

Yes - when they used to run regularly from british coalfields they were class 7's when full and class 6's when returning empty. Though if the system only recognises class 1 and 2 passenger trains even if it was entered wrongly and happened to be another passenger trains headcode then it should have displayed that train rather than the freight train.
All Didcot powerstations are 6xxx Loaded and 4xxx empty

That's right - though they were class 7's when loaded back in the HAA hopper days - imagine the pathing problems you'd get now slotting all those 45mph coal trains in amongst the Chilterns and Voyagers between Leamington and Banbury!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 16:12:51 »

CIS (Customer Information System) sometimes goes wrong, it's fact of life.

Sorry Ollie, but I don't agree.   If we settle for second best that is what we are guaranteed to get. 

Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 01:31:10 »

Find me something that is perfect.
CIS (Customer Information System) can go wrong for a variety of reasons whether it be down to human error or technical error.
The key would be to notice where things do go wrong, find a solution to stop it from happening again.

But it is my belief that nothing can be 100% perfect all the time.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 17:12:27 »

Nothing is perfect, and I supose that it is unrealistic for the CIS (Customer Information System) to be working all of the time.  Computers fail, get vandalised, fuses blow etc, but when it is working I don't think it is unrealistic for the information to be 100% (or at least 99.999%) acurate.  No infomation is far preferable to teh wrong information.  The repeat failures (such as the ones at Exeter mentioned below) are particularly inexcusible. 
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2008, 00:15:41 »

I can agree regarding the comment about trains from Barnstaple when they get to Exeter. But faults like that rely on it being reported. I wouldn't have anyway of knowing if it has been, maybe the staff at that particular station know, and if they have reported it then they may have been told if anything being done about it.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2008, 10:55:30 »

It all comes down to good management.  The staff at Exeter ought to know about the fault.  Either they havn't reported it because they are demotivated and don't belive that it would be put right if they did or they have reported it and nothing has happened which only serves to demotive them and discourage them from reporting problems in the future.
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2008, 05:37:39 »

The travelling Doris can be a nightmare, particularly when some playful colleague broadcasts the "full ticket check" message...at Lawrence Hill on a rush hour, inbound, 3 car 158.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: