22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 11:27:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[153] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[129] access for all at Devon stations report
[53] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[25] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[15] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[10] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Bright lights! Bright lights! (Poor Gizmo could never travel with FGW)  (Read 27608 times)
lj2

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2008, 19:48:24 »

Thank you for your email of #. I was very sorry to see that you are unhappy with the lighting on our High Speed Trains.

On top of the ^63 million+ we invested in renewing the interiors, we replaced all the current engines with a more reliable and environmentally friendly model. We made these changes partly as a result of customer feedback, and partly because we wanted our customers' journeys to be more comfortable. Most of the feedback we are getting says that we have succeeded, so I am disappointed that the changes are not to your liking.

When the refreshment of our High Speed fleet was first completed, there was some feedback from passengers that indicated the lighting was generally considered too bright. We therefore reduced the lighting levels as a result.

We do appreciate any comments from our passengers as we view this as a positive factor in the process of enabling us to continually monitor and improve upon the services that we do offer; so I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your comments. As a result of your email, I will record your views for the attention of the relevant managers, in support of again lowering the lighting levels, and also in support of introducing a 'lights off' carriage.

Thank you again for your email and for your valued feedback.

Names, dates, references omitted to protect the innocent. In response to feedback sent to FGW (First Great Western) customer services via the on-website form.
Smoke or mirrors? :-)
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 23:47:27 »

Very impressed with the response.

Interesting that the lighting levels raised their ugly head again. Probably the worst thing that the early 150 refresh did.
gaf71

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 15:35:46 »

Chances of getting a 'lights off' coach = none!
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 18:46:21 »

as far as i am aware a lights off carriage would not be allowed for safety reasons,half lighting is the only option.
for example if a dmu has a lighting fault then the carriage has to be locked out until set can be swapped out for repairs.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 19:20:19 »

Really? I have travelled with Central Trains twice in an unlighted 150 carriage.

The journey involved a tunnel (and the rest of the journey I did not take involved an even longer one!).

Or was that just Central Trains?!
welshman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 19:39:00 »

Speaking as a l*w**r, I think if you were in an unlit carriage and were attacked/injured yourself I'd be taking the TOC (Train Operating Company) to the cleaners.

I travelled on a two car ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC)) to Merthyr a few months ago.  Car 2 engine wouldn't run and there were no lights in it either.  I suggested to the guard/conductor/train manager that he ought to have everyone in the lit car since it was getting dark and the hazards were obvious.  He agreed and said he was going to do that at the next station anyway to comply with orders.

Was a slow trip up to Merthyr.

I think your Central person was off message.
lj2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 02:01:16 »

Really no chance of a lights off carriage?
NXEA (National Express East Anglia) (Or when they were back in the One days) always used to have a lights off coach A. I remember frequently traveling from Ipswich to London around the 2300 express with Coach A being dark and it was generally socially accepted that stopping customers boarding after Ipswich didn't bother the express customers trying to get some kip.
On the crime side of things: That train stopped at Stratford and I don't ever remember feeling unsafe. I don't think Kemble or Tiverton Parkway are more dangerous than Stratford.

Obviously local trains are a different matter, You couldn't sleep on a 142 if you wanted to. I'm just refering to HSTs (High Speed Train), properly managed with CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision), with quiet coaches being enforced e.g. disruptive groups of people being kept away (Which Virgin Trains can do on a busy Saturday afternoon). It's not so much a safety issue as a common sense issue.

P.S. Airplanes have dark cabins sometimes on night flights. Ferries for that matter also sometimes have dark lounges on night crossings. Night-trains are also dark.... National Express is dark, much more dangerous on a rocky bus stopping at all kinds of dodgy service stations surely??
Whats wrong with fgw re-introducing some trendy aisle lighting and some reading lights??

Sorry, I don't see this as such a "far fetched" idea.
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 17:53:54 »

First, you can travel every night (except Saturday) IN THE TOTAL DARK on FGW (First Great Western) Services, just book a Sleeper Berth and you Can have the Lights ON or OFF (there is a night light option).

Second, the law on lighting is very strange, IF the council have installed street lighting and you fall over a trip Hazard on council land during the night then you can sue the council, however if Street Lighting isn't provided then it's very difficult to sue as the person at fault is Yourself.

Of course what is required when coach lighting fails is for someone from HMRI (Her Majesty's Railway Inspectorate) to spell out what is required and allowed, but of course thats not their job.

Back in the late 1980's some Bright Spark laid down that Trains couldn't stop at Stations where Lighting wasn't provided, this only EVER applied to the then WESTERN region.
Note: There are NO recorded instances of Injury caused at Unlit stations by the lack of lighting.

Of course Trains ARE Permitted to stop at Stations where lighting is provided EVEN WHEN the platform Lighting has Failed, this is laid out in Railway Group Standards.

I mean just what would happen if a Train ran into a Pitch Black Terminus Station? Train got to carry on?

« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 18:29:59 by smokey » Logged
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 20:17:11 »

as far as i am aware a lights off carriage would not be allowed for safety reasons,half lighting is the only option.
for example if a dmu has a lighting fault then the carriage has to be locked out until set can be swapped out for repairs.

And your method of working for locking one coach out of use on a 14x unit is..... Wink Wink

Trundling gently round the SW
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 22:02:01 »

... simple: use the staff!  Roll Eyes Grin

Not only were there two ticket sellers, two suited Revenue Protection staff and a PCSO on platform 2 - there were also two ticket staff, a uniformed female Revenue Protection official and another PCSO on platform 1.  Total of 9 staff
And finally ... when the tatty old 143 did turn up for the 09:29 to BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)), all nine of them packed up and got aboard - and stood in the gangways, causing an obstruction  Huh Roll Eyes Angry

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 12:47:25 »

Good for the guard!

Nobody died, people used their common sense and did not walk about when in the tunnel!
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 22:49:01 »

(a) I hate the sueing culture which has developed in this country (from the US) - I would take responsability for my actions, and accept that it was an accident.

That is an honest answer.

Because the chances of that happening are miniscule. It is <20 seconds in the dark. I am sat down. If I was walking/stood up, I would stand still. It's called common sense.

As for managing to twist my leg etc. I am just as more likely to do that when stepping off the train at Platform 1 at WOF (huge gap)! That puts the problem of a light into perspective.

And it has only happened once. I am sure the guard reported it to Tyelsey asap. Thanks to the guard's good sense the service was not delayed!
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 23:48:41 »

OK, here's a scenario.  Packed train, 3 car hybrid 158, well past Llanwern, bound for the Severn Tunnel and beyond.  Lights fail in the two front coaches and the black hole approaching at lots of miles per hour.  As a guard, do you,

A) Call Control, get the train stopped at STJ (Severn Tunnel Junction railway station)? (No time for that). 

B) Evacuate all pax in the front coaches into the trailing coach?  (No room and a refreshment trolley blocking the way half way up the middle coach)

C) Clear the front coach and proceed through the tunnel with your Bardic shining on the ceiling of still populated but quite dark  coach 2?  (Works quite well but for the student from Treforest making bird shapes with his hands in front of your beam).

Answers on a postcard etc etc.

(I did C when it happened to me a few days ago.) Wink  Now that I have admitted to infringing the rules, I will probably be posted to Sidmouth as a platform supervisor.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 10:04:40 »

How about getting the Cyalume lightsticks out of the holders at the end of the carriages?

Paul
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 17:41:02 »

I've known a 150+153 to run from Bristol down to Weymouth with the lights out in the middle coach. Wasn't to dark outside though so that why I assume it was allowed to continue Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: