Brighton Belle withdrawn (link)

Train RunningShort Run
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 02:51:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[120] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[90] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[77] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[76] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Broadgage unwell.
[49] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 112
  Print  
Author Topic: Cotswold Line redoubling: 2008 - 2011  (Read 642130 times)
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1440 on: August 25, 2011, 07:13:04 »

A trip on the reopened line on Tuesday (to London) and Wednesday (back).

Can anyone confirm the method of pilotman working? I would assume that, on the single line, a pilotman woudl shuttle back and forth on alternate up and down trains. Presumably on the new dual track the pilotman would have to arrive at MIM box (or EVE) before another train is allowed on the same line?
On Tuesday I caught the 14:52 from Foregate Street. Left exactly on time. We stop at Norton Junc, at the signal before the junction, for the pilotman. We proceed past the signal at danger. Stop again at the signal before the single-to-double point west of Evesham. Use phone, then proceed past colour-light at red. Pilotman alights at Evesham station.

Depart Evesham 5 late. Lots of work still going on at various locations. 9 late at Honeybourne. 10 late at Hanborough. But this one is allowed 19 minutes into Oxford (normal range is 10-12), and a 4-minute stand there, so we leave Oxford 1 late and arrive Padd'n 1.5 minutes early.

Coming back less successful. I'm on the 11:20, which is a 165. Out of Padd'n on time, but we're 5 late on departure from Slough for some reason. Still 5 late out of Oxford.

At Charlbury, the train manager spends some time on the platform using his mobile. We're 8 late when we leave. But then he announces that, because the toilet on the 165 isn't working, we'll stop at Moreton to allow passengers to use the station facilities. Not a good day for that to have happened - and we'd've been OK with a 166. Anyway, we're 21 late from Moreton.

I recall the former Bristish Rail Research Division developed some compaction techniques to allow new track to be opened at speed after a blockade.  I remember these being used in earnest on the Crewe Blockade back in the 1980's?
Is is not still used?

Then he has to apologise for the fact that the engineering work means that we have a speed limit of 50 mile/h, and that the signalling isn't working at the level crossings. The first two, between Moreton and the tunnel seemed OK (colour lights green, barriers down), but we slowed to a crawl for the one at Littleton, passing a red light. We're 27 late at Honeybourne and 32 late into Evesham. I don't think this one will bother going to Malvern, where it has a 39-minute turn-round.

At Evesham, the pilotman boards. We leave 33 late. Pilotman alights at Norton Junction, by the same signal. As we're coming into Shrub Hill, the train manager apologises for the fact that we'll terminate at Foregate Street today.

Why not terminate at Shrub Hill? Well, there's a HST (High Speed Train) sitting in the usual siding south of the station which looks as if it was the 10:22 from Paddington to Hereford, also truncated at Shrub Hill.

So we go round to Foregate St (good - more convenient for me). Arrive 37 late. After everyone is off, the train reverses back to Shrub Hill. Not too much of an extra delay for the Malvern passengers, because it's now 14:17 (instead of 13:40) and there's a 14:18 from the same platform (yes, it's the Brighton - Malvern). But by the time the 165 has gone back to Shrub Hill and cleared the single track, it's 14:25 before it leaves for Malvern.

Hay you know things go wrong, I am sure the engineers and project managers had a realistic program agreed with their contractors.  One of the process NR» (Network Rail - home page) project teams have to go through at stages in the development and planning process is Risk Management Assessment this is a very rigorous process where just to say there is a risk of something happening or affecting a project is not sufficient, treatments have to be developed.

There will not have been a "lets start this and keep our fingers crossed" attitude while it is frustrating for the passengers and embarrassing for the project team safety comes first and systems will not be signed off until they satisfy the Tester In-charge and the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) HMIR

Electric train is right about the risk assessment. But we seem to have three sources of delay - the incomplete single-line signalling between Norton and Evesham, the incomplete level crossing signalling at Littleton and the speed restriction for the new track - plus the self-inflicted delay of a toilet-less train.

If ever I encounter one of these blockades again, I'm going to give them an extra week to get it fixed instead of an extra day!

This morning's updates suggest that they've got the Norton-Evesham signalling working, so no more diversions via Cheltenham, but the delays are still with us.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: August 25, 2011, 10:51:55 »

which will no doubt fail to connect quite often

With a 10-minute connection? I hope not.

My experience of the punctuality of trains arriving at Worcester from Hereford is that it isn't very good, and it's not an easy station to change at - especially for the demographic population of Great Malvern where 10 minutes soon gets eaten up if the train is 5 minutes late and they have to trapse down and up two long flights of steps, or miss the first run of the lifts tucked away at the end of the platform.  Let's hope the station staff at Foregate Street aren't too keen on their whistles if that's the case.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: August 25, 2011, 23:07:11 »

You have to feel sorry when after all the work the service gets disrupted because of this....

Quote from: FGW (First Great Western) (First Great Western) Website
Line problem between Moreton-In-Marsh and Oxford.
Train services between Moreton-In-Marsh and Oxford have been disrupted due to an earlier trespass incident.Delays of up to 40 minutes may still occur.

Last Updated: 25/08/2011 22:03
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1443 on: August 26, 2011, 07:09:49 »

Got the all clear tweet from NRE(resolve) overnight
bleeder4

View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: August 26, 2011, 19:42:02 »

Came back to Evesham today on the 13:21 from Paddington (a very crowded Turbo - standing room only until Oxford) and all now does appear to be fine - no pilotman working and we arrived into EVE right on time. Ticket collector never checked tickets the entire journey though - there were barriers up at Paddington (and, presumably, Reading and Oxford) but anyone could have traveled from Hanborough to at least Evesham without buying a ticket.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1445 on: August 26, 2011, 19:53:23 »

Good - it appears the proble has transferred over to Chiltern... They're now over-running by at least 24 hours into Sunday & small chance of Monday morning.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: August 27, 2011, 00:51:29 »

Yes, Cotswold Line work is now completed.  Well, completed in that Pilot Working has been recinded.  Access to the Honeybourne Through Siding remains prohibited, Clayfields AHB and several of the UWC (User Worked Crossing)'s are out of action to vehicles pending fitment of new crossing panels, and there's some 20mph and 30/50mph TSR (Temporary Speed Restriction)'s which will no doubt remain for a week or so.  Though, as Willc pointed out, the slack in the timetable created by the more flexible working (and the slack that was there anyway!) will mean these shouldn't really be noticeable to the passengers.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: August 28, 2011, 00:56:48 »

Slightly puzzled that the Littleton & Badsey down distant E2449 apparently retains its existing signal head amid a sea of new LEDs in the Vale of Evesham

Yes, that could well just be a mistake in the booklet.

Well, it wasn't a mistake.  E2449 retains its traditional colour light signal head amongst the sea of LED's.

Another thing I spotted - probably not of the slightest bit of interest to 99.9% of you - is that during the latest blockade Camden Tunnel was fitted with lighting which will no doubt make maintenance and inspections easier.

Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: August 28, 2011, 08:10:01 »

Well, it wasn't a mistake.  E2449 retains its traditional colour light signal head amongst the sea of LED's.

There is now an approved LED direct fitting replacement that can be used instead of the tungsten lamp, I am not sure if the filament monitoring circuits need modifying however replacing the tungsten lamp with an LED device is more cost effective that replacing the whole signal post

Another thing I spotted - probably not of the slightest bit of interest to 99.9% of you - is that during the latest blockade Camden Tunnel was fitted with lighting which will no doubt make maintenance and inspections easier.
CDM (Construction (Design & Management) Regulations) requires NR» (Network Rail - home page) not fit tunnel lighting when such major work is undertaken,

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: August 28, 2011, 10:48:05 »

CDM (Construction (Design & Management) Regulations)?
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1450 on: August 28, 2011, 11:59:27 »

CDM (Construction (Design & Management) Regulations): Construction (Design & Management) Regulations.

I'll add it to our acronyms page.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: August 28, 2011, 13:09:11 »

Cadbury's Dairy Milk seemed unlikely.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: August 28, 2011, 13:32:14 »

CDM (Construction (Design & Management) Regulations) requires NR» (Network Rail - home page) not fit tunnel lighting when such major work is undertaken,

Of course the Construction (Design & Management) Regulations don't actually mention lighting in tunnels. They say that designers of any construction works must ensure that any maintnence of those works that will be required can be carried out safely. Lighting in a tunnel seems to be a very reasonable interpretation of this requirement. The trigger therefore is that construction work is carried out (hence the work has been done now).
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: August 28, 2011, 20:24:31 »

Of course the Construction (Design & Management) Regulations don't actually mention lighting in tunnels. They say that designers of any construction works must ensure that any maintnence of those works that will be required can be carried out safely. Lighting in a tunnel seems to be a very reasonable interpretation of this requirement. The trigger therefore is that construction work is carried out (hence the work has been done now).
Very true Smiley

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: August 30, 2011, 21:18:46 »

Interesting about the timetable. I flagged up the Evesham problem when the plans were released. I was shouted down. Looks as if I've been proven right! Roll Eyes

Still - an improvement overall. Can't believe it's happened! Bring on IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) and Reading to get those journey times down!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 112
  Print  

Jump to: