Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:21 Reading to Gatwick Airport
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
19:08 London Paddington to Swindon
19:35 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
15:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
17:53 Weymouth to Bristol Temple Meads
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 20:18:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[188] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[93] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[57] access for all at Devon stations report
[36] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[30] Misleading advertising?
[10] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Early Eastbound Finish For Saltash & St Germans (23/10/2008)  (Read 4293 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: October 23, 2008, 16:33:11 »

From the FGW (First Great Western) website :

20:11 Penzance to Plymouth due 22:17

This train has been cancelled.This is due to a train fault.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
richard bickford

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 09:06:26 »

I went to the station to see if anyone was being abandoned.

There were 3 waiting but the Helpoint was reporting that the following CrossCountry service was stopping. I assume this was the same elsewhere, at St Germans  and Lostwithiel.
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 09:21:16 »

At least that's something.

I believe the HST (High Speed Train) that failed was due to form the following service this morning (24/10/2008) :

07:05 Plymouth to Penzance due 09:14

This train will run short formed with 2 carriages.This is due to a train fault.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
richard bickford

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 09:35:59 »

I believe you are right, and earlier in the day I think it is the 1406 ex Paddington, the notoriously late 1725 ex Plymouth, which was an hour late last night. Suspect it was so broken it could not form the 2011 last night, and subsequently didn't get back to Plymouth to form the 0705 this morning.

Would have been a bit of a squeeze arrving at Truro as a 150!

Lets hope it is fixed for its next journey.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 14:29:01 »

The 14:06 had it's driver windscreen smashed in the Maidenhead area, which caused delay, it then had further delay as they turned the set at Reading Triangle.
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 15:07:32 »

I think that raises an interesting point :

The cancellation of the 2011 was flagged up as a "train fault" as was the short-forming of the 0705 that it caused. In the minds of passengers, this would have indicated that FGW (First Great Western) were responsible.

However, if the cancellation and subsequent short-forming had been flagged up as being due to vandalism, then the perception would have been entirely different.

It goes back to a point made by willc recently, that the more information that people receive, the more accepting of problems they are likely to be.

Chris2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 16:16:27 »

I have to agree with Lee and willc completely. The more information people have allows a correct assessment to be made, and in yesterday's case the blame would not be with FGW (First Great Western).
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 16:52:12 »

As far as I am aware it is not vandalism, but I do not know the full facts around it. From a delay report I saw it was reported that it may have been when another train passed and caused stones to throw into the air.

I probably haven't explained well, but I don't have the delay report to hand sorry.
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 18:13:39 »

No problem, Ollie.

That makes it a difficult one then, and short of creating a "due to one of those things" category, I'm not sure how you get round it.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 18:52:59 »

"This is due to accidental damage to the train" would seem to cover it?

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 22:56:35 »

It goes back to a point made by willc recently, that the more information that people receive, the more accepting of problems they are likely to be.

Information....I was up in Totnes at the time, the down line information screen hadn't worked all day.

Today I boarded the 17:55 ex Plymouth XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) only for it to (as usual) get held at Truro & Penponds following the 17:25 FGW (First Great Western)....no announcements....very poor considering the half term holiday traffic...families with children & luggage were wandering around at St Erth looking for the branch which was well on it's way to St Ives.
As I have done many times I got them across the road onto a Bus. 
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: