16:30 London Paddington to Taunton
Delayed
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 02:18:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[95] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[94] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[77] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[57] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[50] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[29] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Flooding  (Read 4996 times)
devon_metro

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2008, 16:23:13 »

TRAVEL UPDATE: Thursday 30th October 2008
15:35
FLOODING between Exeter St Davids and Tiverton Parkway

Train services are not operating between Exeter St Davids and Tiverton Parkway.

Trains from Devon and Cornwall are terminating at Exeter St Davids. Trains from London and Bristol are terminating at Tiverton Parkway.

Replacement road transport is in operation, however road conditions are reported as poor.

Customers are advised not to travel and tickets dated 30 Oct 08 will be valid for travel on the 31Oct 08.

Buses are running at xx45 and xx15 past the hour from Exeter towards Tiverton taking 31 minutes
Buses are running at xx00 and xx30 past the hour from Tiverton towards Exeter taking 32 minutes

1Z92 1517 Tiverton Parkway - London Paddington is showing as 126 minutes late!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 17:37:17 by devon_metro » Logged
signalandtelegraph
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 17:22:28 »

The 5pm travel report on Radio Devon said the line was under 2ft of water but didn't say where

Bring back BR (British Rail(ways))
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 17:24:21 »

AFAIK (as far as I know) Cullompton area.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 17:33:54 »

Would that not make the M5 underwater?
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 19:06:37 »

I can confirm it was Hele crossing, just south of Cullompton, where there is a river which has burst.  The road is STILL flooded this evening, all fields around the line are flooded, with Hele being the low point of the line, there are currently tankers trying to drain water.  Exeter panel this morning estimated it would be at least 24 hours at the minimum, and having viewed the water on my way home at 5pm, I would be amazed if it is clear tomorrow -- I have never seen so much water!

The last up train from Exeter was the 0823 XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) service to Man Pic, and the last down train was the first down XC to Newton Abbot (0907 from Exeter) which hit the water at 100mph and I believe this caused damage to the voyager.

The 0957 service from Exeter to London ran round the 'Southern' route, the 0840 London service ran empty back to Laira, and the 0849 London ran back as the 1013 Penzance service.

1056 to London then ran back as the 1119 Plymouth service and 1140 London ran back as the 1210 Penzance service.

There are photos of Hele crossing here taken at 1130am this morning:  http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=3368

Further update as of 1730:

Flood after heavy rain has caused significant disruption to train services in the Devon area.

There are currently no train services running between Tiverton Parkway and Exeter due to severe flooding in the Cullompton area, caused by the significant rainfall earlier today. Trains from Devon and Cornwall are able to run as far as Exeter only, and services from London and the north can only run as far south as Tiverton. There is a frequent connecting bus service linking the two stations, but road conditions are very poor, and customers are advised their journey will be significantly disrupted and heavily delayed.

Customer are advised not to travel in the area.

Services will also be badly disrupted on Friday 31st October and customers are advised to check this web site before travelling.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 19:09:27 by SDA » Logged

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 19:56:23 »

Good to put pictures on the website. Enables passengers to see just what the problem is.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 21:21:48 »

Agreed, John!

I get annoyed when some passengers moan about trains being cancelled due to 'a bit of rain' - it's not just 'a bit of rain', it's severe flooding - look: the track just isn't there!  Roll Eyes

A good summary of the situation, from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page): http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/7700167.stm

Ottery St Mary suffered particularly, according to BBC video reports: see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7700455.stm for example!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 21:25:35 by chris from nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 21:30:46 »

Good News Update at 21:15

Flooding after heavy rain has caused significant disruption to train services in the Devon area.

Train services between Exeter St Davids and Tiverton Parkway were unable to operate for a significant proportion of the day, as a result services from Devon and Cornwall terminated at Exeter and services from London terminated at Tiverton Parkway.

Train services are now operating over the affected area.

Tickets for travel on Thursday 30th October will be valid for travel on Friday 31st October.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 21:34:13 »

I get annoyed when some passengers moan about trains being cancelled due to 'a bit of rain' - it's not just 'a bit of rain', it's severe flooding - look: the track just isn't there!  Roll Eyes

LOL (laughing out loud)... or... "Well it didn't rain that much in Plymouth...."   Grin

Shame I couldn't pass out those photos earlier, though to be fair, anyone who was on the replacement bus service would have seen the vast amounts of water from the M5.

Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 21:17:55 »

Related article link.
http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/news/Cancellations-delays-add-transport-chaos-trains-roads/article-440602-detail/article.html

Quote from: thisisdevon article
Passenger Anna McTaggart said she had waited at Tiverton Parkway for two hours. Customers were told the delay was because no driver was available. But she felt priority was being given to passengers who were bussed in from Exeter.

"It feels like we've been here forever," she said.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 05:02:59 »

Remember that Catermeran that Stagecoach were trialling across Torbay??? Grin
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 10:16:21 »

Remember that Catermeran that Stagecoach were trialling across Torbay??? Grin

More on this in the link below  Grin
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=3275.msg25302#msg25302

I Work For FGW (First Great Western) blog post link.
http://www.iworkforfgw.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=144#p201
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 10:47:34 by Lee Fletcher » Logged

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: